Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2014, 23:56   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti’s plans - Upgraded Swift, SX4 Crossover and an 800cc Diesel car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes Fiat will have to introduce the same engine in their cars too or there is no point. But the revenue manger will be Maruti but just for sake Fiat will introduce the engine. Hope they keenly push Fiat cars and the other downside is more royalty to Fiat which will increast the sales price per car.

Anurag.
True. In the latest edition,they mention that the S-Cross is expected only early next year, so may be Fiat will plonk it into their cars sometime in this year.

For those who don't want to watch the video,these are a few note-worthy points about the engine in the UK from ACI review,expect some tweaks before we see it here:
  • 118 bhp and 32.63kgm of torque
  • Its not the most responsive below 1500rpm after which it suddenly wakes up.
  • S-Cross also has a 6th gear, so the engine is only at 2000rpm when at 120!
  • Not the quietest at idle or when revved.
  • ACI is pretty sure this engine is coming to India

OT:I hope they come up with a de-tuned version to power the likes of Swift. That would be one fun car and will take the fight straight to Polo GT TDI

Last edited by shashank.nk : 30th April 2014 at 23:59.
Old 1st May 2014, 00:36   #227
BHPian

Credible rumour (!) has it that the engine fiat will bring will be the 1.6 with a shorter stroke=1.5, so as to duck the excise duty cutoff. Unless of course the new government changes the excise duty structure.

Making engines in India is not cheap or easy in terms of production process management. Which is probably why Fiat is waiting for the end of this year or early next year before it introduces the engine: numbers will be guaranteed from Maruti (S-cross, Ciaz? XA Alpha?) and presumably the Linea (Avventura? Punto Abarth?) and, by 2016, the India-made Jeep Renegade and its Fiat C-SUV sibling.

Very excitingly for India: there is a LOT of talk in the US and Europe that ChryslerFiat under Marchionne is very keen to buyout VW's disputed, under-arbitration stake in Suzuki. That big deal could (should?) happen later this year or early next year. The synergy possibilities between Fiat-Jeep and Suzuki are a delicious prospect in India, China, SE Asia and Europe.
Old 1st May 2014, 10:07   #228
Senior - BHPian

Hormazd confirming the S Cross for India with the mighty 1.6 MJD is great news indeed.

I can live with the drab exterior, but I will not like it if the interiors are beige. And very good chance of it being that considering how MSIL dressed the sporty Kizashi in woeful double cream on the inside. Somehow our auto magazines have led the manufacturers to believe that premium cars mean chrome with a beige fest. All black is so elegant and apt.

I think MSIL should play it safe and offer the choice to the customer like Honda does for the Brio. And they should go one step further with all variants offered in all black interior or something else if need be. Its high time we get some meaningful configurations for our car here.
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:16   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki's iV-4 could be badged as the next Vitara reports an Australian website GoAuto. Suzuki is undecided yet on the markets of iV-4, other than Europe.

Maruti’s plans - Upgraded Swift, SX4 Crossover and an 800cc Diesel car?-suzuki_iv_4_large.jpg

Quote:
The iV-4 concept small off-roader would manifest as a production model in Australia by early next year, and welcomed speculation that this version could rekindle the dormant Vitara badge.
Quote:
The iV-4 is pitched as a rugged twin to the slightly-smaller S-Cross, and fits size-wise between the Jimny and Grand Vitara. This makes it a spiritual successor to the popular Vitara
Quote:
Suzuki is yet to reveal technical or powertrain information on the iV-4, other than it will be light-weight, be among the lowest CO2 emitters in its class and feature Suzuki's next-generation Allgrip four-wheel-drive system.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257CCC001B2929

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd May 2014 at 14:28.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 12:27   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki banks on new launches to clock 45% market share this fiscal.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki has told its dealers to target around 15% growth this fiscal as it looks for a 300 basis point jump in its market share
Quote:
Maruti has now lined up a major new model onslaught for FY15. Three entirely new vehicles, the Ciaz mid-size sedan, a light commercial vehicle and the S-Cross crossover/compact SUV, will be added to Maruti’s current portfolio of 12 vehicle brands this fiscal.

Meanwhile, the popular Swift, Dzire, Alto K10 and Ertiga models, are also expected to get refreshed with a facelift to boost volumes as consumer sentiment improves under a new government.
http://indianexpress.com/article/bus...e-this-fiscal/
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2014, 17:29   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

S Cross First drive Video - ACI

Old 11th May 2014, 01:26   #232
Senior - BHPian

If the pricing is going to be 13-14 Lakh, MSIL should save itself the bother of launching this car. To an Average Joe it is just a Variant of the SX4 with some bells and whistles. It is pretty plain looking and does not have the butch looks that India Car Buyers demand from an SUV. This could well go the Yeti way. At this price , the Yeti looks good value for money. I would like to see it priced around 10 lakhs. If MSIL does that, it would have a half descent chance of succeeding.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 11:08   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
If the pricing is going to be 13-14 Lakh, MSIL should save itself the bother of launching this car. To an Average Joe it is just a Variant of the SX4 with some bells and whistles. It is pretty plain looking and does not have the butch looks that India Car Buyers demand from an SUV. This could well go the Yeti way. At this price , the Yeti looks good value for money. I would like to see it priced around 10 lakhs. If MSIL does that, it would have a half descent chance of succeeding.
If the Ciaz makes good sales for maruti owing to its design and the FE part, then it surely will compensate the shortcomings of the SX4. Once that is stabilised, then the S-cross will be placed a segment higher. Now, till date Maruti never got diesels in the 10L+ segments, be it Kizashi or Vitara and hence they never made good numbers with it. But, since they will be concentrating on Diesels equally well this time, I dont think sales will be bombed. As Hormazd tells, they may not do numbers but this car will be a good alternative to the Duster, Terrano etc and I bet it will be priced accordingly too.
Old 11th May 2014, 11:44   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. To an Average Joe it is just a Variant of the SX4 with some bells and whistles. It is pretty plain looking and does not have the butch looks that India Car Buyers demand from an SUV.
Maruti is not expecting to sell in great numbers of the S cross. it will be aggressively priced to take on the Duster and Terrano. it will be a platform for the later launces like the XA Alpha the real competitor to the < 4 m crossovers.
Old 11th May 2014, 20:05   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If the Ciaz makes good sales for maruti owing to its design and the FE part, then it surely will compensate the shortcomings of the SX4. Once that is stabilised, then the S-cross will be placed a segment higher. Now, till date Maruti never got diesels in the 10L+ segments, be it Kizashi or Vitara and hence they never made good numbers with it. But, since they will be concentrating on Diesels equally well this time, I dont think sales will be bombed. As Hormazd tells, they may not do numbers but this car will be a good alternative to the Duster, Terrano etc and I bet it will be priced accordingly too.
Audioholic, I sure hope MSIL prices the S Cross well. I have toyed with the option of a sub 4 Metre SUV and rejected it. My SX4 has served me well and I want to replace it. I am very willing to look at the S Cross. My requirements are a tough vehicle with decent off-road capability (AWD and good torque) that will be at home doing the Home to Office commute. It should be able to take in reasonable amount of luggage for a 7-10 day trip and seat 4 adults comfortably. The full size SUV's are a bit too bulky ( 95 % of the time, I am alone in the car). The Duster and Terrano lack AWD and in my opinion are over priced for what they offer. I am not too enthused with their engines which in my opinion are under powered ( 84 BHP variants ) or lack low end torque (108 BHP ) variants.

MSIL will do well to build on the well proven underpinnings of the S Cross and give it a smarter set of clothes to attract people. S Cross will never be a capability demonstrator / Flagship product as it lacks the WOW factor and is a pretty dated product. Since it is based on the SX4 platform, MSIL should be able to keep the development costs low and hopefully pass on the benefit to the buyers. I sincerely hope that it is carries the All Grip system and it is not nixed to cut costs.
Old 11th May 2014, 20:12   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My SX4 has served me well and I want to replace it. I am very willing to look at the S Cross. My requirements are a tough vehicle with decent off-road capability (AWD and good torque) that will be at home doing the Home to Office commute. It should be able to take in reasonable amount of luggage for a 7-10 day trip and seat 4 adults comfortably. .
Same here mate. I guess I too will be replacing the SX4 with the S-Cross. With the diesel and the six speed transmission, it should munch miles with ease, and yet remain on a diet Also compared to the spartan and not so good interiors of the Duster cousins, the S-Cross is definitely a better option. Guess I will be planning to buy a few months after launch, perhaps in Q3 2015 or so. Since I am happy with the SX4, I think the S-Cross too would satisfy me. At least the initial pricing has never been wrong with maruti. The Kizashi must and will obviously be an exception since it was a CBU and was priced accordingly. The same wont happen with the cross though.
Old 12th May 2014, 13:08   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti S-Cross coming early 2015

Maruti Suzuki will launch its first-entrant in the booming crossover-SUV segment in India, the S-Cross, by early next year.

Quote:
The Indian version is expected to feature a two-tone shade and, taking a page from Hyundai’s book, Maruti is also expected to load the S-Cross with a lot of equipment too.
When launched, the S-Cross is likely to be priced at around Rs 13-14 lakh, which will pit it against segment best-sellers like the Duster.

The Suzuki S-Cross is more crossover than pure SUV. The S-Cross does get some interesting bits to spice up its otherwise conservative styling though; these include LED daytime-running lamps, which could feature in the top-spec variant in India. The S-Cross is also expected to get 16-inch alloy wheels, scuff plates and black cladding on its exteriors to give it that rugged SUV-ish look. In international markets, the S-Cross comes with Suzuki’s Allgrip 4x4 system, however, it’s not certain if Suzuki will offer the same for the Indian version.

The interior bits, such as the switchgear and steering wheel, are shared with other Maruti models to help to keep costs down.

The S-Cross is expected to come with a 1.6-litre diesel engine. This unit, like the 1.3-litre version that does duty in other Marutis, will also be sourced from Fiat. It churns out a decent 118bhp of power and 32kgm of torque, and is expected to be mated to a six-speed manual gearbox.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...15-385168.aspx
Old 16th May 2014, 08:18   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Globally Suzuki's SUV and crossover plans are speculated to looks like,

1.The Crossover iV- 4 to debut in early 2015. - For Eu market but could possibly extend to other markets
2. New Grand Vitara rumoured to come in late 2015. - Global markets
3. The XA Alpha (<4 m) to debut in 2016.

For India the beginning of all this will be the Debut of the S Cross, a product not expected to sell in great numbers but to keep the momentum for the future releases and to make a shift in mindset of Maruti's association wiith specific lower segments only.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11405157...ing-in-germany

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th May 2014 at 08:36.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 16:12   #239
BHPian

I was surfing news sites yesterday and this ad popped up:

Is it on sale in any other country?

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 19th May 2014 at 16:14.
Old 6th June 2014, 11:55   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

S cross reaveals its interiors!

The dashboard is seen in a black color with silver inserts for the music system, gear well and AC vents. The overall design of the dashboard is inline with Maruti's current products.

Maruti’s plans - Upgraded Swift, SX4 Crossover and an 800cc Diesel car?-marutisx4scrossdieselspiedinindiaiab.jpg

Maruti’s plans - Upgraded Swift, SX4 Crossover and an 800cc Diesel car?-marutisx4scrossdieselspiedinindiaiabinterior.jpg

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/06/m...l-spied-132244

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th June 2014 at 11:57.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks