Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 12:57   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti’s plans - Upgraded Swift, SX4 Crossover and an 800cc Diesel car?

Maruti's plans for the first 2 SUV's revealed.

Quote:
We will be present in SUV segment in few months from now, a model which will be competing with Duster in that size.
It has to be something which can compete with the Duster, and in 2016 we will have a compact SUV under 4 meter, so that it gets benefit of lower excise duty and which will be in the same segment as Ford EcoSport.

Both the SUVs will be available in petrol, diesel and CNG options

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle6359925.ece
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 01:24   #302
Team-BHP Support

Maruti’s plans - Upgraded Swift, SX4 Crossover and an 800cc Diesel car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti's plans for the first 2 SUV's revealed.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle6359925.ece

So it can be concluded that the XA Alpha based SUV is indeed a sub 4m version with inspirations from the new Vitara. However, 2016 is too late IMO.

Would be good if they have price S-Cross against Duster as it a priced significantly higher in the international market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 08:02   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Would be good if they have price S-Cross against Duster as it a priced significantly higher in the international market.
I hope they don't do major cost-cutting and compromises to get the price advantage, which is becoming a norm in India-specific cars. Pricing on par with Duster (or slightly above) should be the ideal range for the S-Cross, considering the fact that the former in quite over-priced in India.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 09:04   #304
Senior - BHPian

I do not see that happening. In reality I think it is the Duster which is overpriced in India due to lack of competition & MSIL knows Indian customers better than most other car makers. They know the S Cross will have a starting disadvantage against the Duster as it does not look like a conventional SUV. They will have to impress the discerning customer who buys a vehicle for what it can do rather than what it looks like. This is a small but growing tribe. They will also have to price it well otherwise it could end up like the Skoda Yeti.

I believe MSIL will offer multiple variants to address a wide section of buyers. From basic 2WDversions with low trim levels to AWD with the bells and whistles. MSIL will have to leverage its strengths as as an efficient manufacturer to keep costs low and offer the product at a price acceptable to the market.

In other words, they will have to do an encore of the SX4 launch where they had wowed the market with the products features and the price. The SX4 story changed after Honda and other manufacturers came out with newer models.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 29th August 2014 at 09:06.
rajneeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 10:46   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I hope they don't do major cost-cutting and compromises to get the price advantage, which is becoming a norm in India-specific cars.

Don't be surprised if the S cross is offered with the 1.3DDIS engine as a varaint in Indian S cross to contain cost.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 10:56   #306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Don't be surprised if the S cross is offered with the 1.3DDIS engine as a varaint in Indian S cross to contain cost.
I highly doubt that. For a 4m+ X-over, they just cant afford to get in the 1.3. And if they do, the product may not even sell. People may be OK with 1.3 on a sedan, but for a X-over, it would be a bloodbath. They may cut down on interiors, but they just cant afford to compromise on engine.

Last edited by ampere : 29th August 2014 at 11:01.
Old 29th August 2014, 11:04   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I highly doubt that. For a 4m+ X-over, they just cant afford to get in the 1.3. And if they do, the product may not even sell. People may be OK with 1.3 on a sedan, but for a X-over, it would be a bloodbath. They may cut down on interiors, but they just cant afford to compromise on engine.
Specualtions are they will offer both the 1.3DDIS and a 1.6 diesel to cater to cost conscious and the performance oriented customers.
Old 30th August 2014, 17:10   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

S Cross spied again.

Quote:
Quote:
In the interior spy images seen earlier, we could clearly see that the three spoke steering wheel has been carried over from the Dezire/Ertiga. The cabin features silver accents around the AC vents and the central console. The instrument cluster also reminds you of the one seen on the Maruti Suzuki Swift. This part sharing exercise will help Maruti to keep the costs in check and price the car competitvely in our price sensitive market. Also, the car will come loaded with many bell and whistles to have an upper hand over the competition.
The international markets get the Suzuki S-Cross with ‘Allgrip’ all-wheel-drive system but it is unclear whether the same will be offered in the India spec model.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/maruti...ed-chandigarh/
Old 31st August 2014, 22:21   #309
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1, the SX4 replacement

Quote:
MSI 's first comment on Ciaz from their chairman,
In this article, RC Bhargava says "We will be present in SUV segment in few months from now, a model which will be competing with Duster in that size. It has to be something which can compete with the Duster".

Is he referring to the S-Cross?
Old 31st August 2014, 22:29   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
In this article, RC Bhargava says "We will be present in SUV segment in few months from now, a model which will be competing with Duster in that size. It has to be something which can compete with the Duster".

Yes sir, placed and priced alongside duster, terrano.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 01:48   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post

Yes. S-Cross will fight it out with the Duster when it gets launched in 2015. Hopefully, with all that talk on 'premium', Maruti won't do a half hearted approach like it did with the extremely capable Kizashi.

And 2016 (I would place my bet on the auto expo) would see the launch of the India- specific sub 4m SUV based on the XA-Alpha concept. It will go head on against the Ford Ecosport.
Old 1st September 2014, 06:53   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And 2016 (I would place my bet on the auto expo) would see the launch of the India- specific sub 4m SUV based on the XA-Alpha concept. It will go head on against the Ford Ecosport.
I feel that if Maruti launches XA-Alpha in 2016, it would've missed the train. They should've gone for its development rather than that of Ciaz. Compact SUVs are selling like hot cakes and we have Maruti coming up with a sedan with maybe an underpowered engine. By the time alpha comes, we would definitely have Hyundai's mini SUV and maybe of VW also.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 1st September 2014 at 06:58.
Old 1st September 2014, 09:35   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Yes sir, placed and priced alongside duster, terrano.
Quote:
Yes. S-Cross will fight it out with the Duster when it gets launched in 2015
Thanks. I may look at this as an alternative to my plans of buying the Storme. Although i wanted the Storme, parking the truck (at my apt.) will be an issue

Will wait till Jan, and see what engine options MUL offers in S-Cross in India.
Old 5th September 2014, 11:25   #314
Team-BHP Support

On the right track?

So the S-Cross wont be another failure CBU for sure!
Quote:
“We learnt after the Kizashi experience, that importing fully-built models make no sense.

Also, the way you sell an Alto is very different from how you sell a bigger car. The premium customer wants a relationship and may close a buy in two weeks, an Alto buyer has already decided and will purchase within a week,” Pareek said.
Source
Old 11th September 2014, 14:24   #315
BANNED

Source: http://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-new...an-125213.html

"Maruti Delays Launch of Y9T, its first LCV to build a stronger plan".

Better they don't launch this LCV. This vehicle will ruin their image in the Indian passenger car market.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks