Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2013, 07:31   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti’s plans - Upgraded Swift, SX4 Crossover and an 800cc Diesel car?

Suzuki releases teaser to the S-Cross debuting at Geneva (5th March)!

Quote:
The S-Cross is rumored to not be a replacement to the SX4. It will sit slightly above the SX4, while the proposed Swift-based XA Alpha would be positioned under it when it arrives in the coming years. The C-Segment crossover would have to use Fiat’s diesel engines, while the petrol engine could include the 1.4L K Series motor developed for the Ertiga
Source: IAB

Maruti’s plans - Upgraded Swift, SX4 Crossover and an 800cc Diesel car?-suzukicsegmentcrossoverteaser628.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th February 2013 at 07:46.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 07:54   #77
BHPian

^^looks like a cross between the Alto and the Volvo S60 though, very heavily draws front styling cues from the latter

-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 7th February 2013 at 07:57.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 08:32   #78
Team-BHP Support

They had unveiled it in the Paris Motor show in Sep 12

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...t-paris/14235/

The question now is how much closer they have progressed toward production?

And also how much of over lap will this have with respect to the XA-1. Because definitely this seems like a product
to fight it out with Duster and Ecosport in India compared to XA-1.

Last edited by ampere : 7th February 2013 at 08:33.
Old 7th February 2013, 08:39   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The question now is how much closer they have progressed toward production?

The images are of the S Cross Production version!

Yes,the the car has been modeled on the S-Cross concept car from the 2012 Paris Motor Show, but here are the differences!

Quote:
Quite a bit of translation has happened, however, from show car to production form, as we see that the sweeping greenhouse of the S-Cross has been ditched in favor of a traditional pillared setup, large LEDs have moved from the lower front fascia to under the headlamps, and the grille is now much more in line with the rest of Suzuki's current range.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/06/s...ave/#continued
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 08:48   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The images are of the S Cross Production version!
Thanks that explains it. Now the only question is why XA-1 and S-Cross are two different products. Perhaps Maruti wanted a local and cheaper product for India? The strategy is not very clear.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:09   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks that explains it. Now the only question is why XA-1 and S-Cross are two different products. Perhaps Maruti wanted a local and cheaper product for India? The strategy is not very clear.
Hope you are referring XA-Alpha. Xa-Alpha is a sub-4m SUV, while S-Cross is a full fledged C-segment SUV and about 4300mm in length. XA-Alpha is supposed to replace Jimny, while S-Cross may replace / sit above SX4 cross-over in international markets.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

Looks a bit plain to me. Not completely different from SX4 hatch. looks like a refreshed SX4. I may be wrong, if suzuki photographers decided to take a bland angle for showing the teaser image

Coming to XA-Alpha, it is going to be a Modded swift with flat bonnet and sharp edges all over to make it squarish. So naturally the pricing is going to be cheaper for XA-Alpha(i bet Maruti will slightly undercut EcoSport for that VFM tag) and S-Cross if it comes to india will be targetting Duster/XUV500 customers.
Old 7th February 2013, 11:02   #83
Senior - BHPian

This shows the car completely tho its an old video. Looks like a Swift on steroids.

I'm not going to get very excited about it since almost all manufacturers (Renault recently unveiled Scenic XMOD, V40 etc) are taking this route. Using existing platforms to churn out crossovers. And this somehow doesn't appeal in terms of its stance, looks.
Old 7th February 2013, 14:46   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Hope you are referring XA-Alpha. Xa-Alpha is a sub-4m SUV, while S-Cross is a full fledged C-segment SUV and about 4300mm in length. XA-Alpha is supposed to replace Jimny, while S-Cross may replace / sit above SX4 cross-over in international markets.
Thanks. I do understand the sub-4m angle. But what I wanted to bring about was that with the same engine (1.3 DDIS) we have 2 different product lines in entirely different segments. And of-course I dont both would come to India. The Sub-4m is more likely.
Old 10th February 2013, 16:21   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I do understand the sub-4m angle. But what I wanted to bring about was that with the same engine (1.3 DDIS) we have 2 different product lines in entirely different segments. And of-course I dont both would come to India. The Sub-4m is more likely.
For the diesel vehicles, Maruti has got just one engine licensed from Fiat right now and that seems to have been their un-changed mantra since they introduced it... was it in about 2006-2007?

The sub-4m range does not appeal to everybody, but then again running a profitable business does not mean catering to every need of everybody. I still wonder why Maruti sells the Kizashi and Grand Vitara because they do not seem to target the consumer group that the Maruti brand stands for. People choose Maruti for their budget and mainstream hatchbacks and for budget sedans (and the tall hatch Wagon-R, which doesn't really resemble a traditional hatchback or a traditional stationwagon).
Old 10th February 2013, 17:07   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
People choose Maruti for their budget and mainstream hatchbacks and for budget sedans (and the tall hatch Wagon-R, which doesn't really resemble a traditional hatchback or a traditional stationwagon).

+1.

But at least that perception is slowly changing with Swift. The current generation is leaning more towards an aspirational product. But looking this C-segment cross-over, at least from what it looks like, it surely feels like an aspirational product. And given the Maruti network it might do well in India too.

But the issue is can the production line of this guy be shared with other products which can flood the Indian market.
Old 10th February 2013, 19:51   #87
BANNED

Quote:
In international markets, even the smaller SX4 comes with the 1.6 / 1.9 / 2.0 L Diesel engines! So, why to put a smaller engine in a much bigger car?

Also, I guess Suzuki has got the rights to modify the 1.6L DDiS engine, and that's why they are readying the 800CC 2 cylinder Diesel engine, by chopping 2 cylinders from it!
Old 10th February 2013, 20:28   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In international markets, even the smaller SX4 comes with the 1.6 / 1.9 / 2.0 L Diesel engines! So, why to put a smaller engine in a much bigger car?
Thats the exact problem. Fiat still does not get 1.6MJD to India. I think the first 1.6MJD Linea is supposed to arrive in 2014 (hopefully). Once that happens and if Fiat chooses to carry forward this liaison with others, in India, we may not see a 1.6DDIS based products in India.
Old 10th February 2013, 21:54   #89
BHPian

Quote:
I'm unaware of the taxation, but I think this may be because a smaller engine (in addition to other criteria, such as length) may mean a lower tax slab.

Apart from that, they want to have something with a mileage that looks good - people are less likely to buy a car for its bhp or 0-100 kph acceleration if it has a low mileage, on paper or otherwise. After all, India is the land where everybody asks, "Kitna deti hai?"
Old 10th February 2013, 22:45   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but even now they have a huge capacity (about 5 lakhs!) of Petrol engine production un-utilized. This move will only add to that numbers - to a 7.5 lakhs capacity in total, I guess.
So what do you suggest do nothing?
It is not about producing what you can. It is about producing hat the market requires.

Quote:
If I were in Maruti's product planning division, I would suggest the following:
New Alto1000 (alto800 with k10 engine) to replace both Alto k10 and estilo - I think alto 800 with K10 engine is on the cards. Does not make sense to produce 2 different cars. Although the prefer the looks of Alto K10 lot more than Alto 800 (which is rubbish).

A stretched a-star with more rear and leg room to replace current one - I think it is on the cars as well.

The proposed a-star sedan with the same 1litre engine in the 4-6 lakh segment - Of course where else would they put it in. I think the pricing will be (3.5-5)L bracket. Beyond you are in swift territory.

A rear-lifted Ritz to replace the current one. - God we need that one!

A bigger Dzire to replace sx4 sedan - Not a bigger Dzire. But I Suppose a New SX4.

The hatch version of current sx4 to compete with duster and quanto - The XA alpha is rumered to do that.

The new S-cross suv in the 8-12 lakh segment - Errr
Locally made Kizashi in the 10-13 lakh segment - With a 2L Diesel Engine. That is of prime importance.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks