Team-BHP - Maruti’s plans - Upgraded Swift, SX4 Crossover and an 800cc Diesel car?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti’s plans - Upgraded Swift, SX4 Crossover and an 800cc Diesel car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/131048-maruti-s-plans-upgraded-swift-sx4-crossover-800cc-diesel-car.html)

Source: http://autocarpro.in/contents/techno...chnologyID=141

I am hugely disappointed if this plan is a correct info. Instead of axing the aged / now-uninspiring models like Estilo, SX4 and A-Star, they are planning minor facelifts! They had to launch the new S-Cross SUV and sedan instead of SX4, and an elongated A-star in place of the current one. please:

Also, no news about the rear-lifted Ritz? IMO, even now Maruti is not aware of the number of customers they are losing to competition due to the rear end of Ritz, and also because of the absence of a family-looking car in that segment from Maruti's stable.

Also, about the new 800CC Diesel engine to be fitted in Alto: they have to use it in cars those are not selling, than in Alto. Otherwise, it will eat into the Petrol engine sales (26K per month!). They should keep in their mind how Diesel Swifts ate into Petrol model sales.

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeomidhun (Post 3009019)
Also, about the new 800CC Diesel engine to be fitted in Alto: they have to use it in cars those are not selling, than in Alto. Otherwise, it will eat into the Petrol engine sales (26K per month!). They should keep in their mind how Diesel Swifts ate into Petrol model sales.

As long as they are the ones cannibalizing sales of petrol Alto and not some other company, it's all good.

I'll be really happy if they re-launch the zen with a new model. I have a Zen and also a Zen Estilo in the family; While one is a "hot hatch" Zen Estilo can be considered as a no nonsense city car. It is a pity that it didnt catch up in the light of Wagon R.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bansal98 (Post 3009043)
As long as they are the ones cannibalizing sales of petrol Alto and not some other company, it's all good.

Yes, but even now they have a huge capacity (about 5 lakhs!) of Petrol engine production un-utilized. This move will only add to that numbers - to a 7.5 lakhs capacity in total, I guess.

The report is partly true w.r.t. products but completely wrong in terms of dates as per my friends at Maruti. Maruti is completely replacing the Estilo and A-star and the samller diesel engone (dont know what capacity) is scheduled only for 2014.

SX4 Crossover is good news. The autoexpo crossover SX4 looked awesome and with a 90HP diesel under the hood, would be a very tempting proposition.
I do wonder if X Alpha is under consideration at Maruti.

Thanks to the Duster, every manufacturer is now waking up to this new segment clap:

The 800cc turbocharged diesel engine is going to be a reality, but still testing is on and they are working on new lower end torque parameters.
It may be expected to be launched by end of 2013.

When we are talking about the SX4 crossover, I saw this way back in 2007-08 in South America from where Suzuki has exited. The car looked nice then, however if I look at it now, it looks a bit jaded.

If launched in India, I am sure it will sell like hot cake. We Indians are used to the Suzuki junk.

Maruti’s plans - Upgraded Swift, SX4 Crossover and an 800cc Diesel car?-sx4-costa-rica.jpg

The car in Costa Rica was a 1.6 Petrol available both in MT and AT variants. The price range back then was US$13k - $15K. The dollar conversion used be in the range of 38-39.

If I were in Maruti's product planning division, I would suggest the following:

New Alto1000 (alto800 with k10 engine) to replace both Alto k10 and estilo
A stretched a-star with more rear and leg room to replace current one
The proposed a-star sedan with the same 1litre engine in the 4-6 lakh segment :)
A rear-lifted Ritz to replace the current one
A bigger Dzire to replace sx4 sedan
The hatch version of current sx4 to compete with duster and quanto
The new S-cross suv in the 8-12 lakh segment
Locally made Kizashi in the 10-13 lakh segment

Wasn't Maruti supposed to be working on a 1 liter 3 pot diesel engine that was to be fitted in WagonR? And new swift in just 1 year after this current version's launch seems bit unlikely.

At the moment an 800cc diesel engine has been tested with turbo, it is likely to be fitted on Alto and Wagon R. No concrete information available on 1L diesel engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 (Post 3011461)
When we are talking about the SX4 crossover, I saw this way back in 2007-08 in South America from where Suzuki has exited. The car looked nice then, however if I look at it now, it looks a bit jaded.

The car in Costa Rica was a 1.6 Petrol available both in MT and AT variants. The price range back then was US$13k - $15K. The dollar conversion used be in the range of 38-39.

SX4 crossover is still on sale in North America without any major revisions to the photograph you have posted. Costs around 17000 CAD here in Canada and I spot one or two every week.
I got a chance to drive SX4 crossover through rental for around 150 kms, at 40k old, it was rattling all over and had a very confused AT box.

EDIT: USP for SX4 is, all variants which are on sale come with AWD.

Maruti should have launched the SX4 crossover (including an optional AWD version) a couple of years back. Now Renault gets to enjoy the early mover fruits.

I am surprised that they couldn't figure out that there is pent up demand for a nice looking, small, diesel SUV/ crossover that people can use on bad roads and for adventure.

The folks over there don't seem to be too adventurous given the numerous cash cows they have. No risk, no gain and lost opportunity.

Even now, if they launch it with a proper ad campaign, Duster's sales will suffer. If I were in the market for such a vehicle and if the SX4 had launched with AWD and all bells and whistles that are there in the international version, I would have chosen it over the Duster because of Maruti's network, service and reliability.

The scheduled launch of SX4 Crossover seems to be too late to enter the compact SUV battle. MSIL should have brought in this model now itself. It would have eaten most of the competitors demand. The trust Indians have on Maruti is such that any product from their stable seems to have good demand; the latest example being the Alto 800.

The current SX4 sedan in india is too cramped in the rear,it has much worse legroom then even a swift,despite having a larger wheelbase.Probably the most cramped sedan currently on sale in india (apart from AVEO).

I doubt whether the crossover will make any dent on sales of Renault Duster or the Ford's EcoSport.