Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2014, 23:56   #151
BHPian

New Corolla looks awesome and finally futuristic ! For the Honda city naysayers, all I have to say is drive it and see the difference between C+ and D ! While features may be similar , there is absolutely no comparison in terms of ride and sophistication.
Old 6th February 2014, 00:23   #152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Looks great but why would I pay 16 lacs for a Corolla when I get almost all of it for <13 lacs in a new Honda City?
There is something like brand image and snob value that a car offers even comparing two segments on the basis if price.

So will you buy the Maruti Alto 800 if you get ALL the features of the Swift ZXi with a price difference of 1-3L between the Swift ZXi and the 'Alto 800'?

You will be satisfied paying 16L for the Corolla as it a D-segment car with all required features along with prestige that comes which is a bit less when compared to Honda City (Top End).

If the Honda City is viewed alone then it is a very good car but no point comparing two segments even if prices are similar.

Get a detailed TD of the New City and New Corolla and you will know the reason for the price difference that you paid.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2014, 00:47   #153
BHPian

Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

I used to own the current generation Corolla Altis. Huge step down in interior design although exterior has improved but i hate the fact that toyota has skimped on safety again. 2 airbags for a car expected to cost 20 lacs is showing that indian lives are not important. Disappointing Toyota. Although owning the Corolla Altis for 4 years i would choose the car over the Honda City as i own both for the ride, comfort and sturdiness. Still Toyota needs to localise more, give proper safety specs and creature comforts.
Old 7th February 2014, 09:07   #154
Senior - BHPian

Shame! I was really expecting the 2.0 D4D under the hood of this new Corolla. Its not like Toyota is manufacturing the 1.4 D4D here. They anyways need to import it.

Too bad Toyota is taking it very slow here!
Old 7th February 2014, 11:38   #155
BHPian

For the first time ever the corolla has an interesting exterior, but as M00M mentioned, the interiors do look boring especially since the current crop of cars are concentrating on the interiors. Also a massive disappointment is the engines. The diesel engine continues with the underpowered 1.4D4D and the petrol is over a decade old, if i'm not mistaken it is the same engine they have continued from the past 2 generations of the corolla (although with slight tuning and modification) and they are continuing it now for the all new corolla as well.
I have the current generation altis (pre facelift) both in manual and automatic, its a comfortable, stress free car and was looking forward to the new generation. I really like the way it looks but otherwise disappointed.

Last edited by ishaanranderia : 7th February 2014 at 11:39.
Old 7th February 2014, 11:59   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Looks great but why would I pay 16 lacs for a Corolla when I get almost all of it for <13 lacs in a new Honda City?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
New Corolla looks awesome and finally futuristic ! For the Honda city naysayers, all I have to say is drive it and see the difference between C+ and D ! While features may be similar , there is absolutely no comparison in terms of ride and sophistication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
There is something like brand image and snob value that a car offers even comparing two segments on the basis if price.

So will you buy the Maruti Alto 800 if you get ALL the features of the Swift ZXi with a price difference of 1-3L between the Swift ZXi and the 'Alto 800'?

You will be satisfied paying 16L for the Corolla as it a D-segment car with all required features along with prestige that comes which is a bit less when compared to Honda City (Top End).

If the Honda City is viewed alone then it is a very good car but no point comparing two segments even if prices are similar.

Get a detailed TD of the New City and New Corolla and you will know the reason for the price difference that you paid.

Anurag.
I think the basic point is that the Corolla is hugely overpriced for what it offers. Let's forget the City for a minute and just compare with with rivals in the same segment.

Take the Elantra: six airbags, ESP, more features, more powerful engines, more choice of transmissions and cheaper by at least a lakh (if not more) for each like-to-like variant. I would rank Hyundai's after-sales support and quality very close to Toyota.

Take the Cruze: More powerful and cheaper.

Take the Jetta, Octavia: A little more expensive, six airbags, ESP, "German engineering," more powerful, DSG, direct injection, turbo petrols, much better ride and handling, many more features in the Octavia.

The Corolla continues with the same engines, same transmissions, I presume the same safety kit (2 airbags, no ESP) and given Toyota's propensity to milk our market, I'll bet they will raise prices. It is not worth the money, in my opinion.

Honda matches Toyota in reliability. The City gives all the features of the Corolla (with the exception of xenon lights), CVT with seven ratios and almost the same interior space for 7 lacs less than the top-end Corolla CVT (old price and comparing with CVT top City trim). I for one will gladly sacrifice the supposed better ride & handling of the Corolla for that kind of difference.

Last edited by StarScream : 7th February 2014 at 12:03.
Old 7th February 2014, 12:07   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For a diesel, that TD has to be from the rear seats only.

I had the misfortune to drive the diesel a few times in Bangalore traffic, and frankly it was way annoying and way too underpowered for a car which is asking that premium.

The ride and the backseat comfort of course are much better in Corolla, no doubt.
SkyWalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 12:12   #158
Team-BHP Support

Details about the new Corolla Altis updated in the new Auto Expo thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...po-2014-a.html
Old 7th February 2014, 12:23   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

Anurag.
Actually what Toyota is doing is making a royal fool of everyone by pastering on a 10 year old car with body modifications and then charging a hefty premium for it. All they are doing is using their brand pull and the fact that the Corolla is somewhat of a name here.

Except for the engines and the Honda City Diesel is much better than the ancient 1.4 D4D of the Toyota, the Petrol car has a lower displacement engine compared to the Corolla, nothing is actually ground breakingly different from the Corolla or the City for the former to justify a 3.5 to 4 lakh price difference.

The only place where the Corolla wins is apparently the snob value other than that the City is an equally competitive car at a lesser price.

I really would like to know from JISHD what the sophistication and ride difference he felt in the two cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I think the basic point is that the Corolla is hugely overpriced for what it offers. Let's forget the City for a minute and just compare with with rivals in the same segment.

Take the Elantra: six airbags, ESP, more features, more powerful engines, more choice of transmissions and cheaper by at least a lakh (if not more) for each like-to-like variant. I would rank Hyundai's after-sales support and quality very close to Toyota.

Take the Cruze: More powerful and cheaper.

Take the Jetta, Octavia: A little more expensive, six airbags, ESP, "German engineering," more powerful, DSG, direct injection, turbo petrols, much better ride and handling, many more features in the Octavia.

The Corolla continues with the same engines, same transmissions, I presume the same safety kit (2 airbags, no ESP) and given Toyota's propensity to milk our market, I'll bet they will raise prices. It is not worth the money, in my opinion.

Honda matches Toyota in reliability. The City gives all the features of the Corolla (with the exception of xenon lights), CVT with seven ratios and almost the same interior space for 7 lacs less than the top-end Corolla CVT (old price and comparing with CVT top City trim). I for one will gladly sacrifice the supposed better ride & handling of the Corolla for that kind of difference.
Very well put, the Elantra here is the best looking and best car for the value in this segment. For orgasmic drive and handling it is the Europeans, the Corolla sadly has no USP any more.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 17:17   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Actually what Toyota is doing is making a royal fool of everyone by pastering on a 10 year old car with body modifications and then charging a hefty premium for it. All they are doing is using their brand pull and the fact that the Corolla is somewhat of a name here. Except for the engines and the Honda City Diesel is much better than the ancient 1.4 D4D of the Toyota, the Petrol car has a lower displacement engine compared to the Corolla, nothing is actually ground breakingly different from the Corolla or the City for the former to justify a 3.5 to 4 lakh price difference. The only place where the Corolla wins is apparently the snob value other than that the City is an equally competitive car at a lesser price. I really would like to know from JISHD what the sophistication and ride difference he felt in the two cars. Very well put, the Elantra here is the best looking and best car for the value in this segment. For orgasmic drive and handling it is the Europeans, the Corolla sadly has no USP any more.
I used to have a Honda city earlier - believe me, the feeling of solidity is much higher in the Corolla though nowhere close to the Germans. The City is also bouncier over uneven roads which the Corolla smothers with aplomb. The Corolla underbody doesn't hit speedbreakers. While all the above points are trumped further by the Germans (disclaimer : current car is a GT tsi) Corolla remains the ultimate jack of all trades when you consider reliability in the equation. 2 lakhs or 3 lakhs justification is a matter of debate, even the Elantra is at the same price point with NA 1.8 engine.
Old 7th February 2014, 21:44   #161
AWD
BHPian

In my opinion, the interiors of the new Corolla are a step up from Altis/older gen. Corollas. Let me explain this, I have owned both Altis & a its predecessor. Always felt the front dash due to its design, eats up a lot of space/leg room/knee room. Its almost like getting on to your body. While see the new one, huge amount of space is liberated up-front. There's more visibility of the foot well & more room to move around your legs. Who likes the claustrophobic Dash design of older corollas!

In the last gen. Corollas the most important thing & thats the space which was getting eaten up by un-mindful dash designs & blindly following market trends. More like modern day cellphones with quad-core processors but lethargic calling! The basics were being lost.

I LOVE THE NEW DASH DESIGN. This is actually not very new, resembles the good old cars which had such dash designs, don't know why carmakers adopted space eating designs!
Old 7th February 2014, 22:51   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
even the Elantra is at the same price point with NA 1.8 engine.
Last I checked, the Corolla VL AT was 17.85 on road UP and the Elantra SX AT (petrol) was 16.8 on road UP. The Corolla had no discounts, while the Elantra had 40,000 off. But prices alone don't tell the entire story - what value can one ascribe to world-class safety kit, which the Elantra has and the Corolla lacks?

I could understand the Toyota premium if they were at least on par with features in the segment. It is galling when you pay more and get less. Things have changed in the segment and Toyota has rested far too long on its laurels. I'd rank Honda equal to Toyota in reliability and Hyundai a close second.

Last edited by StarScream : 7th February 2014 at 22:53.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 23:23   #163
BHPian

Quote:

I used to have a Honda city earlier - believe me, the feeling of solidity is much higher in the Corolla though nowhere close to the Germans. The City is also bouncier over uneven roads which the Corolla smothers with aplomb. The Corolla underbody doesn't hit speedbreakers. While all the above points are trumped further by the Germans (disclaimer : current car is a GT tsi) Corolla remains the ultimate jack of all trades when you consider reliability in the equation. 2 lakhs or 3 lakhs justification is a matter of debate, even the Elantra is at the same price point with NA 1.8 engine.
What about technology and features?
Corolla still has the crappy 4 speed auto and minimal safety... And for reliability Hyundai and Honda are very reliable as well.
Old 7th February 2014, 23:44   #164
BHPian

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
What about technology and features?
Corolla still has the crappy 4 speed auto and minimal safety... And for reliability Hyundai and Honda are very reliable as well.

Who said 4 speed AT? FYI, Indian Altis is available with 7 Speed CVT since last few years and 4 speed CVT was discontinued.

In fact, we got 7 speed in Altis even before USA model got it. It's only now with this new model, USA Corolla got 7 speed CVT.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 7th February 2014 at 23:46.
Old 8th February 2014, 00:25   #165
BHPian

I was really impressed by the exteriors on seeing the Corolla, but as soon as i stepped in, the excitement just went off.
The dash design wasn't appealing to me.
The over all interiors don't match the level when you compare it with others like Jetta/Octavia or Elantra in the segment IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-image1389726478.jpg  

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-image273195982.jpg  

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-image3073436306.jpg  

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-image1452439818.jpg  

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-image4157619082.jpg  

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-image1360981905.jpg  

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-image2924672464.jpg  

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-image1674009494.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com