Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 19:43   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

The car is on display at the T3 Terminal at Delhi Airport. Sharper styling for sure but the diesel engine is a big disappointment. Why even the Amaze has 100 ponies under its hood.

However I still feel it will pull in decent numbers. The Taxi trade and the people who are Chauffeur Driven would not care too much for performance. "Mileage kitna deti hai" and "Toyota Corolla hai" is what is topmost in minds of most people even when they are spending more than 15 Lakh
Old 9th March 2014, 19:23   #182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The car is on display at the T3 Terminal at Delhi Airport. Sharper styling for sure but the diesel engine is a big disappointment. Why even the Amaze has 100 ponies under its hood.

However I still feel it will pull in decent numbers. The Taxi trade and the people who are Chauffeur Driven would not care too much for performance. "Mileage kitna deti hai" and "Toyota Corolla hai" is what is topmost in minds of most people even when they are spending more than 15 Lakh
Ofcourse a Altis customer will not look at Amaze but look at City. The City diesel has a 6 speed box with the same 100 ponies. Rear legroom is more than the new Altis. Features wise City gets sunroof and rear AC vents additional over the upcoming Altis. The City wins on almost all counts doesn't it?
Old 9th March 2014, 19:44   #183
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Ofcourse a Altis customer will not look at Amaze but look at City. The City diesel has a 6 speed box with the same 100 ponies. Rear legroom is more than the new Altis. Features wise City gets sunroof and rear AC vents additional over the upcoming Altis. The City wins on almost all counts doesn't it?
The new City wins hands down over the Altis but what about status image and ego that is generally linked when people buy these cars when the needed features are available at a lower price and in the segment lower.

The name Corolla itself is linked to higher status + chauffeur driven Sahab's which will be lesser seen in case of the City.

Anurag.
Old 9th March 2014, 20:52   #184
Senior - BHPian

Ego apart the new City still does not offer a sorted rear suspension. Infact it is still lags behind the Ventos, Linea's and Rapids of the world in this context and the Corollas' rear seat ride is leagues ahead of the crowd. Again status not withstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The new City wins hands down over the Altis but what about status image and ego......
Old 9th March 2014, 22:28   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The new City wins hands down over the Altis but what about status image and ego that is generally linked when people buy these cars when the needed features are available at a lower price and in the segment lower.

The name Corolla itself is linked to higher status + chauffeur driven Sahab's which will be lesser seen in case of the City.

Anurag.
Things are slowly changing. Remember this thread?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ura-et-al.html

Corolla, Cruze once upon a time used to sell close to 1000 cars a month. Now not even a new entrant in the D segment is not able to come close to these numbers.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-figures.html

Look at the City, 7K units within 2 months of launch.

Beyond the C2 segment in India, it's only SUV's like the XUV500, Duster, Ecosport, Fortuner and then straight jump to the German big 3.

D1 segment like Altis, Elantra, Octavia and Jetta is only couple of hundreds but the XUV does 3000+.

Similar Passat, Superb, Camry is in 2 digits or sometimes 3 but the Fortuner consistently sells 1,500+ units.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 22:41   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I still belong to that small group who believe that image matters. And this is where the Altis or anyother D segment car wins over a C+ segment car. And it will always stay. So whoever was buying that D segment car for the above reasons would still will.
Old 9th March 2014, 22:52   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I still belong to that small group who believe that image matters. And this is where the Altis or anyother D segment car wins over a C+ segment car. And it will always stay. So whoever was buying that D segment car for the above reasons would still will.
I belong to an even smaller group that would get another Altis and that too a petrol Automatic Wouldn't even look at the Diesel.

With the City diesel having so many features and better space the Altis with the puny 1.4 D will have a very steep uphill battle. Image/Ego/Status may take a back seat or people will start looking at Hyundai/Skoda as well in this segment.
Old 9th March 2014, 22:56   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Things are slowly changing. Remember this thread?
Sales figures, I agree, but customers who are looking at image of ownership vis a vis features will look at the D segment rather than C segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
+100.

You just conveyed what I wanted to.

Anurag.
Old 14th March 2014, 11:31   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

New Toyota Corolla Altis launch on May 27 -speculated to retail for around Rs 40,000 more than the price of the current car and the deliveries are likely to begin a week after launch.

Toyota dealers have started accepting bookings ( payment Rs 50000) for the new Toyota Corolla Altis. Deliveries are expected to begin in first week of June.

Quote:
The new, next-generation Toyota Corolla Altis – measuring 4620mm long, 1776mm wide and 1475mm tall – is longer and wider than the current car. The 2700mm wheelbase is a whole 100mm longer than in its predecessor.

The new Toyota Corolla Altis looks more stylish than its predecessor and gets a chrome grille up front along with LED headlamps (on higher variants) and tail-lamps. The interiors have also received design tweaks and cabin quality has improved as well. The cabin gets reclining rear seats, reversing camera with sensor, a push start-stop button and a 7.1-inch touchscreen audio system with navigation. Some of the other features include an eight-way adjustable driver’s seat, rain sensing wipers, reading lamp, power socket and sunshade in the rear. The new Corolla will be offered with seven colour options.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...27-372471.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th March 2014 at 11:34.
Old 14th March 2014, 15:29   #190
BHPian

I did see one New D4-D Grey Altis being driven on the CPRI - Mekhri Circle road last tuesday Afternoon.
Looked much much bigger and had more road presence than the outgoing model.
Old 14th March 2014, 16:02   #191
BHPian

Update from Nandi: The car will be in BLR for this week. Its the car that is going to do rounds across India. I guess its in the museum road showroom this week.
Old 17th March 2014, 09:09   #192
BHPian

Just a heads up.. New launches and deliveries may get pushed further as Toyota has announced lockdown due to union unrest. Bad news for Toyota consumers.

Last edited by _chikku : 17th March 2014 at 09:21.
Old 18th March 2014, 06:21   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw the new Toyota altis up close. They have the car displayed at the terminal 3 in Delhi airport. Have to take back all my previous criticism on the looks of the car from the pics. The car looks quite pretty in real. Couldn't check out the interiors as the car was locked.
Old 27th March 2014, 23:10   #194
BHPian

My father has the oldest Corolla, 2004 1.8E (H2) in Black. Considering its turning 10 years this year, I suggested he should upgrade.
Looked at plenty of options, class above, same class and class below.
Since my father is kind of busy the whole week, and needs to travel >15km to work every day, so reliability and low running costs were important. Rear seat comfort was also high on the list, since he is chauffeur driven, and often makes calls from the rear seat.
Ruled out the Etios since reading about the lesser sound insulation. Ruled out the Vento/Rapid for being a bit old now, and for being a bit stiff in the rear seat.
Verna was ruled out because its costs as much as the cars from the class above, and features aren't that important from the rear seat. Comfortable in the city though.
Jetta/Octavia has me convinced me, but the after sales make me have second thoughts.
But then we got calls from Nandi Toyota giving us a good exchange offer (haven't specified what the offer is yet). So we might just end up trading our Corolla for a new Corolla.
Will do a ownership Review if we get it. But any other suggestions?
My dad is inclined on European/Japanese cars, and he is pretty happy with the Toyota experience so far. Thought about the elantra, but not convinced entirely by its engines.
Renault's dealer network also seems like an unknown factor.
Old 28th March 2014, 09:50   #195
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartyasg View Post
But then we got calls from Nandi Toyota giving us a good exchange offer (haven't specified what the offer is yet). So we might just end up trading our Corolla for a new Corolla. Will do a ownership Review if we get it. But any other suggestions?
No suggestions from me. I will say stick to Corolla and stick to Toyota. Both are the best. You already own a Corolla so I would have told you to change but I feel it is good if you continue with the Corolla but the updated model.

Please trade/exchange the old Corolla for a new one.

All the best.

Anurag.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks