Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 14:43   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Quote:
Toyota is presently developing an all new Corolla and Innova. The cars are being developed in Japan like the Etios was before being built in India. The cars will not just be redesigned but will be based on new platforms as well. Toyota has already shortlisted local suppliers for the project...We expect the cars to debut sometime in mid 2015
http://www.overdrive.in/details/2588...coming-in-2015

Edit: Mods, Could you correct the heading to "mid 2015"? Somehow missed the 'i' while typing.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th January 2013 at 14:45.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 15:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: OverDrive speculates launch of new Corolla & Innova by Md 2015

Toyota if you're reading this: please please please launch an A/T version of the diesel Innova. There are more than enough takers for this.

And if you really want to be nice, launch the A/T in multiple variant options.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 16:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

One way to know about it is to keep looking at Toyota Thailand website. Once Innova is launched there, it will trickle down to india in an year at the max.

I read on one of the previous editons of an automag that Innvoa will be positioned more upmarket close to 20 lacs. This is to remove the Taxi image and also to open up a new segment. As of today there is no MUV available between Innova and R350. Innova retails for 17 lacs on road and R350 for 70 lacs on road. Toyota wants to bridge this gap by launching something in the 25 OTR price range.
Old 9th January 2013, 16:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

2015 is light years away! This is so typical Toyota.
Old 9th January 2013, 16:50   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?

Since most of the success of Toyota has been in the MUV/SUV segments and the fact that Indian market is increasingly looking to buy MUV/SUVs rather than sedans should make Toyota bring in more of these vehicles.

I wouldn't mind them jacking up the prices of Innova further up and bringing in cars like the Avanza and Previa in the space created. Toyota Previa has certainly caught my attention as a car that can do wonders in our market.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 17:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

I agree with you - they should look to broaden their MUV offerings in India, particularly since they already have so many products in this segment.

As a relaterd point, I'm not aware of the Toyota MUV hierarchy but wouldn't the Previa sit above the Innova.

So ideally keep the Innova in the 12 - 18 lakh segment and have the Previa slot perhaps in the 20-24 lakh bracket?

My view is just based on my visual recall of a Previa in Dubai - seemed posher to look at than the Innova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Since most of the success of Toyota has been in the MUV/SUV segments and the fact that Indian market is increasingly looking to buy MUV/SUVs rather than sedans should make Toyota bring in more of these vehicles.

I wouldn't mind them jacking up the prices of Innova further up and bringing in cars like the Avanza and Previa in the space created. Toyota Previa has certainly caught my attention as a car that can do wonders in our market.
Old 9th January 2013, 17:06   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The new 2014 Corolla might look like this:-

Launch of new Corolla & Innova by Mid-2015?-novocorolla20141.jpg

Very much expected to hit our shores by 2015.

SOURCE (and more spy pics) - http://www.noticiasautomotivas.com.b...eiras-imagens/
Old 9th January 2013, 17:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
2015 is light years away! This is so typical Toyota.
+1

Too far away an event to think of right now.

We're talking at least two and a half years from now. The motoring landscape in this country could be vastly different by the end of this year - let alone two and a half years - and for all of us to speculate about this right now wouldn't be much productive.

For starters, Toyota has no way of knowing/controlling what the competition is going to come up with in this time. What this report basically means is that Toyota is presently developing an all new Corolla and Innova slated for a 2015 release. Period.
Old 9th January 2013, 17:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
As a relaterd point, I'm not aware of the Toyota MUV hierarchy but wouldn't the Previa sit above the Innova.

So ideally keep the Innova in the 12 - 18 lakh segment and have the Previa slot perhaps in the 20-24 lakh bracket?
Sorry my bad. That was precisely what I was thinking too. May be something like the Avanza can fit in around 10-12L, Innova at 12-16L, Previa at 15-19L and then the Fortuner.

ps: Even I have taken a serious liking to the Previa since seeing it in Dubai. Looks a lot better in real compared to the pics.
Old 9th January 2013, 19:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The new 2014 Corolla might look like this:-

Attachment 1036002

this looks too much like the current gen Etios.
Old 9th January 2013, 20:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

this looks too much like the current gen Etios.
True, Toyota seems to be focusing on the large and bulged body panels. After Hyundai and Maruti, may be Toyota is also thinking of having similar design across the range.
Old 9th January 2013, 21:12   #12
BHPian

Re: OverDrive speculates launch of new Corolla & Innova by Md 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Toyota if you're reading this: please please please launch an A/T version of the diesel Innova. There are more than enough takers for this.

And if you really want to be nice, launch the A/T in multiple variant options.
For the last 5 years I have been pestering the local dealership to convey feedback to Toyota that there are people, like me, who would not mind paying extra for an AT model with 6 airbags. But they just do not seem to be listening. Pity!!
Old 9th January 2013, 21:33   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

But these large and bulged body panels coupled with "wannabe" kind of sleek headlamps somehow do not look good with the T badge. I much appreciated the older looks of the Corolla. Even today it looks good. The Altis also looks balanced although the rear light treatment is slightly overdone. I hope the final designs of the new Altis are nowhere near the one shown in the picture above.
Old 9th January 2013, 23:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The new 2014 Corolla might look like this
Eeks...that has singularly got to be one of the most hideous-looking cars I've cast my eyes upon, in a long time. For Toyota's sake, I just hope this is set as far away from reality as possible. Boy, don't they run a basic aesthetic check before unleashing such atrocity upon (unsuspecting) folks?!

Of course you'd expect some quirks from the Japs; but with this, they have seemingly outdone themselves too!
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 23:32   #15
BHPian

If you cover the photo from B-pillar to the back, it looks like a cheap Chinese imitation of Honda Civic. And the thick black lip on the air dam looks hideous. Not that Toyotas ever look hot or exciting IMHO.

The Etios does look balanced, (though bland) and looks acceptable from the front 3/4 view, except that the back looks like Salvador Dali's 'limpid watches', especially the rear lamps and the rear bumper! And the 'jewel' treatment of the rear lamps is a case of mixed metaphors! Circles within Dali's triangles!

Incidentally I own two Corollas one pre-Altis design, and another pre-pre Altis design! Like Dr Mohitg said you do not tire of them, and probably the designs 'creep' and grow on you. Though personally I like the pre-Altis model a shade better than the older one!

But even for a 'tolerant and rational' guy like me the looks in the pics are a sure no-no!

Com'on Toyota you can do better!

I would have preferred an early launch of the Avanza with a li'l non MUV looks treatment. 4.2ish meters long, short turning radius, 180 mm GC, a decent engine (probably the 1.4 D4D with a li'l more grunt) and not tall looking back and a comfortable 5 seater with decent luggage space in the back and of course priced in the 10-12 lakh OTR price band.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed