Team-BHP - Swift ZXi--Spare Tyre Recall by Maruti
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Swift ZXi--Spare Tyre Recall by Maruti (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/13121-swift-zxi-spare-tyre-recall-maruti.html)

The one that really cheesed me off about Maruti was the spare tyre in the Swift ZXi. The standard alloys are 185/70 R 14 but the spare tyre was a steel 165/80 R 14. Was ridiculous and Maruti's explanation that the spare tyre was to be used only to get to the nearest tyre repair shop and hence should not be construed as a regular tyre was shameful.

So, was very happy today when I went for the first service on my Swift at Vitesse in Prabhadevi, Bombay, and saw a service advisory prominently displayed--that Maruti is replacing the spare steel rim 165/80 with a standard 185/70 alloy for free. Seems this campaign started mid-April and will continue till mid-June. The chassis numbers where replacement will be done for free are between 100101 and 157409--considering that's about the number of Swifts Maruti has sold till date (Autocar India said around 53000 were sold in FY 2005-06), it would seem all ZXi owners can avail of this free replacement.

So, Swift ZXi owners, please contact your dealer.....

...and good show Maruti! Even though the original decision was stupid, glad good sense finally prevailed and all that talk about corporate ethics and responsibility seems more believable now!

- Ivor

Thats a extremely good move by Maruti butttt what i wonder is are they taking the old spare back? What if its totally worn out.

How will Ajmat claim for his, he has changed to 15inchers, pardon me stupid:

Wha-ha-hay...that ain't good news...that's GREAT news...provided it's authentic, of course..gonna check up A.S.A.P; tomorrow, that is.

And IF this is true, then this would be an absolutely superb move by Maruti.

P.S- Depending upon the authenticity of this report, the Zxi owners stand to gain about 5500 rupees+...that's how much a new wheel and tyre combo costs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSA
Thats a extremely good move by Maruti butttt what i wonder is are they taking the old spare back? What if its totally worn out.

The chassis numbers mentioned on the notice seems to indicate every ZXi's spare will be changed, used or unused, worn out or untouched. The usual reason behind such recalls is safety--and Maruti can't differentiate between old and new cars when it comes to safety.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veyron1
Wha-ha-hay...that ain't good news...that's GREAT news...provided it's authentic, of course..gonna check up A.S.A.P; tomorrow, that is.

And IF this is true,

I have a spanking new spare alloy in my boot to prove it! :Cheering:

But hey, even I had doubts initially. I gave my car for service mid-morning and saw the notice, and they confirmed it, but I waited till I could physically see the new spare in my boot before posting it...hence this late-night post! :p

In between, I called Maruti's call centre and they said they didn't know about it and asked me to check with my dealer. Also checked the Maruti website and there's no news about this anywhere.

Hope you get your new spare tyre tomorrow!

No matter what, every swift zxi must be enitiled for this spare wheel+alloy.

Ajmat MUST get his!

why is it such a great news?
Its a spare tyre. Its the same practise world wide.

Hey...I called up Sai service this morning, and guess what- they don't know jack about the recalls either. They told me that they haven't received ANY intimation from Maruti regarding the recalls.

Could you post the number of your dealer, ivor? It would help in confirming the matter. I suspect that it could be a "dealer" incentive.

@adya33: Nope, it's not JUST a spare; even Mercs have steel wheels for spares, and I haven't heard of any recalls by Daimler till date. If the recall by Maruti is authentic, it speaks volumes about the manufacturer's goodwill. Replacing a faulty engine/suspension/mechanical component due to manufacturing defect by recalling the models IS NOT THE SAME as replacing a component that serves little purpose in the functioning of the car; especially when the practice of giving a steel wheel is a common trick worldwide.

ivor
Thank you for the information. Just called ABT Chennai Service centre where i regularly service my car, they had no clue about it. Then contacted ABT's Warranty section, and got it confirmed. They have told me to get my original RC and bill to get it replaced.

It is sad that the dealer never contacted me since mid April.

Will update here once the spare is replaced.

The Palio GTX also comes with a steel wheel as a spare but the tyre size is the same as the others. Many companies do this abroad. Some companies dont even give a spare wheel!

Wonder why Maruti is replacing the spare wheels?

Nice move .. wonder why they are not advertising it ..
Does this also mean that all new ZXi's will now have an alloy spare ?

I got in touch with rns motors in bangalore and they said that stock has come and they asked me to come and collect it sometime next week.

This is indeed a cool news from Maruti.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veyron1
Hey...I called up Sai service this morning, and guess what- they don't know jack about the recalls either. They told me that they haven't received ANY intimation from Maruti regarding the recalls.

Could you post the number of your dealer, ivor? It would help in confirming the matter. I suspect that it could be a "dealer" incentive.

My dealer is Vitesse. Vitesse Service can be contacted at 2422-9747 (Prabhadevi). The reception may not only anything about it (I saw the notice yesterday and asked the reception and they didn't have a clue; but the service advisors and customer service manager confirmed it).

Don't know why Sai Service is saying they don't know anything. Folks on this forum from Bangalore and Chennai are also saying this is true, so it's clearly not a dealer incentive. And incidentally, dealer incentives are on sales, no one would give a customer an incentive when the car has already been purchased and is being used! :)

Is maruti replacing it with a wider tyre + alloy combo or wider tyre + steel wheel combo?

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1027382