Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 17:14   #166
BHPian

re: Renault Duster AWD launched at Rs. 11.89 lakh (pg. 15)

Renault Duster AWD launched at Rs. 11.89 lakh (pg. 15)-picture1.jpg
Does that ugly mark of the Airbag Break-away part really have to be strongly visible like that?
Doesn't seem to be in good taste.
I remember seeing simila rmarks n other cars but none so prominent.

(Pic source: http://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/2014-re...-review-642728 )
karpusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 18:10   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
A dual tone black and grey will look less upmarket than either a soft plastic all black or black and beige. Hope the launch vehicles come with either of these.
Looking at the reviews, I actually felt the opposite
The colour combination looks elegant and a bit more premium compared to the regular Duster. One bit I found a bit loud was the colour combination for the seats. All black would have been ideal.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 00:21   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Personally speaking, i do not like this lady's videos. She speaks all JUNK. nothing of any value. Also, she doesn't have any taste. She appreciates Everything. God!
I too realized that she is absolute clue less when it comes to 4x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
A dual tone black and grey will look less upmarket than either a soft plastic all black or black and beige. Hope the launch vehicles come with either of these.
For some reason, there is a desi mentality that considers black low rent and beige premium. Outside India, most luxury cars come in all black/dark grey interiors.
Old 24th August 2014, 10:40   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
For some reason, there is a desi mentality that considers black low rent and beige premium. Outside India, most luxury cars come in all black/dark grey interiors.
I think it is more to do with the trend. There is a black interiors making a comeback and it will catch up in India very soon. Even in India, the beige areas are getting smaller and are used only in small patches these days.
Of course the sporty versions always had black interiors.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 11:10   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even in the present Duster the lower end version has black interiors and the higher versions carry beige tones. I like the black ones than beige; though likes and dislikes are subjective and purely personal.
It is time that all manufacturers provides interior color options.

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th August 2014 at 11:12.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 10:06   #171
BHPian

The Car seems more capable than what I expected.. check out this video..

Hope they price it right
nettooran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 16:20   #172
Senior - BHPian

Is there not an objective way of comparing the low-end torque that is available in Duster's 1st gear with 4WD on and, say, that of a Storme in 4H & 4L mode?
Old 26th August 2014, 17:05   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Objective way is to have target vehicles all available at the same location to test the abilities. On paper specifications need to be tested under performance conditions.

For instance a peak 150bhp available with a narrow rpm band is less useful than say 100bhp across a flat curve. Power to weight ratios. Suspension travel and chassis dynamics.....list is endless but yes only in a back to back comparo that these could objectively tested.
sudev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 17:33   #174
Senior - BHPian

@sudev: Thanks!

Certain other questions that are bothering me -

1. I know that while crawling down the Duster would end up touching the speed of 25-30 kmph unless the driver continues braking. What speed are we talking about when we crawl down in, say a Thar or Storme, in 4L mode?

2. Duster has traction control and going by my limited knowledge this is totally different from LSD. How exactly would traction control help in gaining traction when one is off-road? LSD supplies more power to that one wheel while traction control simply applies brake to the wheel that is spinning? How would having traction control help Duster's cause?

3. Does LSD need additional mechanical components (compared to Traction Control which I think needs none), which are way too expensive or complicated to assemble, which is why Renault thought of skipping it?

Request note to Mods: When doing a test drive of the 4x4 Duster, please do a comparo with Storme (at least) on the same terrain if possible.
Old 26th August 2014, 22:08   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
1. I know that while crawling down the Duster would end up touching the speed of 25-30 kmph
Duster will not hot 25kmph in 1st gear coming down hill without pressing the accelerator 30 is bout the max speed in 1st gear, for this you have to accellerate to reach that speed.

Quote:
2. Duster has traction control and going by my limited knowledge this is totally different from LSD.
A vehicle 4x4 vehicle with traction control is like having front, rear and center diff locks. 4x4 with Traction control much more effective than a 4x4 vehicle with open diffs in front and LSD in rear. With traction control, the vehicle can climb if any one wheel has traction. This is not the case with 4x4 vehicles with only rear LSD and front open diff.

Quote:
3. Does LSD need additional mechanical components (compared to Traction Control which I think needs none), which are way too expensive or complicated to assemble, which is why Renault thought of skipping it?
Traction control is much superior to LSD and if a vehicle has Traction control, then LSD is redundant/not required.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 23:46   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Duster will not hot 25kmph in 1st gear coming down hill without pressing the accelerator 30 is bout the max speed in 1st gear, for this you have to accellerate to reach that speed.
So during one of my road trips to mountains I realized that when going down in the 1st gear in my Swift diesel I was reaching speeds of about 30 kmph and had to use the brake a lot to control the speed. I think I even posted about it and was told that it was nothing wrong with my car. I used to think that unless I didn't accelerate the speed wouldn't increase but that wasn't the case. Why would it be different for the Duster?

Quote:
A vehicle 4x4 vehicle with traction control is like having front, rear and center diff locks. 4x4 with Traction control much more effective than a 4x4 vehicle with open diffs in front and LSD in rear. With traction control, the vehicle can climb if any one wheel has traction. This is not the case with 4x4 vehicles with only rear LSD and front open diff.
I think I probably misunderstood the function of Traction control then. I thought Traction control only applies brake (intermittently like ABS) to the wheel that spins and doesn't really supply additional torque to the wheel that is planted (because that's what LSD does). If I'm correct then how exactly is TC better than LSD?
Old 26th August 2014, 23:57   #177
BHPian

It would be welcome if renault could also launch the six speed automatic version also as they already use this gearbox with the 1.5 dci engine in megane.Other manufacturers don`t have a automatic with small diesel.This could be renault opportunity to give the consumer what it needs.
ahuja365 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 10:11   #178
BHPian

If one forgives the Duster's size- the 4X4 version of a reliable, proven, crossover should simply annihilate the Safaris and the Scorpios.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 10:44   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
If one forgives the Duster's size- the 4X4 version of a reliable, proven, crossover should simply annihilate the Safaris and the Scorpios.
Actually the compact size and light weight of the Duster scores in favour of it when tackling off-road trails. The Scorp's and the Safari's suffer in the weight department and can get "bogged down" over some soft, mushy stuff.
Agreed the Duster may not have a separate transfer case for those ultra - low , rock clambering ratios, but the light overall kerb weight, good ground clearance and axle articulation is adequate enough to tackle 90% of the off - roading trails mere mortals would take their vehicles through.
Old 27th August 2014, 13:15   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I too realized that she is absolute clue less when it comes to 4x4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Personally speaking, i do not like this lady's videos. She speaks all JUNK. nothing of any value. Also, she doesn't have any taste. She appreciates Everything. God!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
This video is hilarious. She talks of a small river crossing. Delhi streets have more water after an hour of rain.
While I do agree that her videos are not upto standards - I think Renault is the culprit here. The track arranged for the media drive is nothing compared to some of the roads we are forced to negotiate.

Even the Overdrive review talks of the same 'obstacles'.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks