Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 14:45   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Renault Duster AWD launched at Rs. 11.89 lakh (pg. 15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
So during one of my road trips to mountains I realized that when going down in the 1st gear in my Swift diesel.
Why would it be different for the Duster?
It has to do with the first gear ratio and final drive ratio of the duster vs the swift diesel. The first gear and final drive ratio of duster 4x4 is way way shorter than swift diesel or any other car for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I think I probably misunderstood the function of Traction control then. I thought Traction control only applies brake (intermittently like ABS) to the wheel that spins and doesn't really supply additional torque to the wheel that is planted (because that's what LSD does). If I'm correct then how exactly is TC better than LSD?
LSD doesn't not brake any wheels, (Locker does) LSD is placed inside the differential case and as the name Limited Slip Differential suggests it allows only limited slippage between the wheels. LSD and TC try to acheive the same purpose by transferring power to the wheels that has traction, but LSD cannot be used in front effectively as the front wheels have to turn in different ratios when navigating a sharp turn. If it is used in the front wheel, it has to allow a much more slippage than in the rear wheel.

TC can completely lock a wheel just like locker. TC in combination with ESP can be use to effectively to control a skid, and can be applied to front and rear axles. ABS pulsates the brake, but TC can completely hold the wheel locked to transfer torque to wheel with traction. I am sure if you google you will find videos that explain the functioning of LSD & TC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuja365 View Post
It would be welcome if renault could also launch the six speed automatic version also as they already use this gearbox with the 1.5 dci engine in megane.
Cost maybe the concern, but if they do, it will further increase the sales.

The funning thing about most of the manufacturers in India is that instead of adding functionality to increase sales, they come with various *silly sticker* *anniversaryy* editions, etc.. Why don't these dummies explore a niche that doesn't exist and launch a new variant than a *new body sticker* variant. Case in point is the Zest AMT, fully booked out a a affordable compact diesel automatic sedan/hatch didn't exist until Zest AMT was launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
If one forgives the Duster's size- the 4X4 version of a reliable, proven, crossover should simply annihilate the Safaris and the Scorpios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Actually the compact size and light weight of the Duster scores in favour of it when tackling off-road trails. The Scorp's and the Safari's suffer in the weight department and can get "bogged down" over some soft, mushy stuff.
Scorpio 4x4 has only 180 mm ground clearance besides the wight factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Agreed the Duster may not have a separate transfer case for those ultra - low , rock clambering ratios, but the light overall kerb weight, good ground clearance and axle articulation is adequate enough to tackle 90% of the off - roading trails mere mortals would take their vehicles through.
It will go everywhere a Thar CRDe will go and further, the only major disadvantage I see over the Thar CRDe is not having a low range, so if you want to crawl down steep slopes, then you will come down on brakes. They should have put Hill Descent Control since they already have TC and Hill Start Assist. Basically it is the same system is used for HDC.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 15:31   #182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Scorpio 4x4 has only 180 mm ground clearance besides the wight factor.
Comparing both, which will be better to off-road. Of course, none of us have driven, but going by what you have read...maybe Sudev Sir can chip in too
Old 27th August 2014, 16:10   #183
BHPian

@arjab, @4X4addict:

Allow me to clarify: If someone is NOT looking at a large,7-seater 4WD SUV , then the 4X4 Duster will just kill everything else in the 15L range.

the next price bracket is in the 25L range-the Endys, T-forts, Rexton etc- which are a class apart.

The Duster may just allow many newbie enthusiasts to own a reliable 4x4. This was just unseen till now.

I am not aware of any existing/proposed cheap-ass 4WD Crossover in this price range. cheap being a relative term
BUXX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 17:37   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
@arjab, @4X4addict:

Allow me to clarify: If someone is NOT looking at a large,7-seater 4WD SUV , then the 4X4 Duster will just kill everything else in the 15L range.
Absolutely man. In my case I have a 7 seater 4x4 which works great when I go with family, but bulk of the time, it is just me and the driver and frankly even he finds it difficult navigating the Endeavour in crowded/narrow streets. My Thar DI is good for short runabouts, but definitely not for the highway. The Duster 4x4 fits my requirements for a short (almost) wheel base 4x4 SUV.

Quote:
The Duster may just allow many newbie enthusiasts to own a reliable 4x4. This was just unseen till now.
I am not aware of any existing/proposed cheap-ass 4WD Crossover in this price range. cheap being a relative term
I feel the duster will take away a lot of sales from Scorpio/Safari 4x4 and to some extend Thar CRDe also.
Old 27th August 2014, 19:03   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I feel the duster will take away a lot of sales from Scorpio/Safari 4x4 and to some extend Thar CRDe also.
Scorp/Safari I totally agree. Thar getting impacted would be difficult in my opinion. Thar is an out and out lifestyle product. Many may not buy it for the highway for example. And there is also a huge price point difference between the two.
Old 27th August 2014, 19:19   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@arjab, @4X4addict:

But increasingly good condition Fortuners for around or under 15lacs are also beginning to hit the market. I am sitting on this boat - trying to evaluate a new 4wd Duster vs a used Fortuner.
At this point, with not much information at hand, I would likely choose a 70k-80k, 4 year old Fortuner.
Old 28th August 2014, 08:27   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
....track arranged for the media drive is nothing compared to some of the roads we are forced to negotiate....
Just sharing my observations. The post production edits and jurno talk may not represent vehicle capabilities.

Watch 4:11, 4:35, 4:55 and lastly 5:15

Slush ditch round 4:11 had bogged down another SUV which had to be winched out.

Around 4:35 the climb on slippery red mud surface was without loosing composure. The car made it look easy.

The grassy area around 5:11 was slippery as hell. Even walking up the slope one needed to be careful. The AWD took it easily. Watch wheels spin more than speed of vehicle.

Not defending Duster AWD as the best but after experiencing many vehicles and their behaviour off road I would say this meets the need of any one without serious off road cross country traverses in mind.

Would love to get hands on vehicle and try it on sand.

Scorpio 4x4 has too much torque and is good crawler but when surface is slippery it gets bogged down as wheels start crazy spinning. On sand results it digging its own grave. Going sand dunes in a Scorpio one had to always tell people not too floor it but to feel the traction and wheel spin. Use forward and backward rocking to create a patch instead of digging in. That is why would love to test this in sands of Jaisalmer post monsoons when it becomes dry. Moist sand is easy to drive on.

Steep downslopes is another area of testing needed. Low weight compared to Thar means much less momentum build up. However not enough engine braking power without low ratio. That apart safe way to come down is to keep the nose pointed down and not take sideways traverses. Use small inputs from accelerator to steer the car in correct direction

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th August 2014 at 15:38. Reason: removed video tag
sudev is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 08:37   #188
Team-BHP Support

I think what really makes the difference is its weight. Being on the lower side, makes it quite nimble, with the capabilities it has (what Sudev mentioned).
Old 28th August 2014, 08:48   #189
BHPian

Was teambhp invited for the duster 4x4 media drives? Is there going to be a drive report for it from the mods?
Old 28th August 2014, 10:52   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
But increasingly good condition Fortuners for around or under 15lacs are also beginning to hit the market. I am sitting on this boat - trying to evaluate a new 4wd Duster vs a used Fortuner.
At this point, with not much information at hand, I would likely choose a 70k-80k, 4 year old Fortuner.
If you do not need the space of the Fortuner, get the Duster 4X4. Period.
For reference, you should be able to buy two Dusters (pun intended) for the price for a new Fortuner.

The Duster provides a TERRIFIC ride quality that is almost car-like.
You can very well imagine that it is only gonna get even better with the Independent suspension, the ESP and AWD.
BUXX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 20:11   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Just sharing my observations. The post production edits and jurno talk may not represent vehicle capabilities.

Watch 4:11, 4:35, 4:55 and lastly 5:15

Slush ditch round 4:11 had bogged down another SUV which had to be winched out.

Around 4:35 the climb on slippery red mud surface was without loosing composure. The car made it look easy.

The grassy area around 5:11 was slippery as hell. Even walking up the slope one needed to be careful. The AWD took it easily. Watch wheels spin more than speed of vehicle.

Not defending Duster AWD as the best but after experiencing many vehicles and their behaviour off road I would say this meets the need of any one without serious off road cross country traverses in mind.

Would love to get hands on vehicle and try it on sand.

Scorpio 4x4 has too much torque and is good crawler but when surface is slippery it gets bogged down as wheels start crazy spinning. On sand results it digging its own grave. Going sand dunes in a Scorpio one had to always tell people not too floor it but to feel the traction and wheel spin. Use forward and backward rocking to create a patch instead of digging in. That is why would love to test this in sands of Jaisalmer post monsoons when it becomes dry. Moist sand is easy to drive on.
Looks like you were there for the drive. How would you rate Duster AWD against the Yeti, Outlander & The Grand Vitara?
Old 28th August 2014, 20:14   #192
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
The Duster provides a TERRIFIC ride quality that is almost car-like.
You can very well imagine that it is only gonna get even better with the Independent suspension, the ESP and AWD.
Absolutely right.
The Renault's legendary suspension is truly one of its first class USP's.
In all sincerity, I really think this new 4WD Avatar with all the bells and whistles will be the clincher.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 05:05   #193
BHPian

Check the below link for the comprehensive review of Duster AWD

Thanks to bhpian nikhilmadgavkar for the report

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...st-review.html
Old 29th August 2014, 22:15   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Looks like you were there for the drive. How would you rate Duster AWD against the Yeti, Outlander & The Grand Vitara?
Eeerrrr...I made the track plan and sure did drive the vehicle a lot during four days there.

Since I also did Yeti drive experiences in past and drove Outlander through hills a bit I would say

Duster
Grand Vitara
Outlander
Yeti

Ground clearance, VFM, fuel type, cost of spares and service, availability of spares, on road costs, economy in running, speed and handling capability are factors in my personal rating.

But only GV has low ratio box.
sudev is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 14:54   #195
BHPian

Will the Terrano also come in this avatar? Pricing would be worse.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed