Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2013, 00:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Toyota launches 5 speed Fortuner AT in India. TRD Sportivo now a regular variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Coimbatore Dealer says that 5 speed Auto is already available and ready for delivery. But, How to find that it is not older 4 speed Auto. Is that any way to learn if the one they have now is 5 speed Auto and NOT 4 speed Auto.
As per the photos in this website http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new...ner/index.aspx the 5 speed automatic transmission has a 'D-4' slot where the 4 speed automatic transmission has a 'D-3' slot, '3' vs '2' slot and 'L-2' vs 'L' slot. Is there any other way of finding out?
Murugan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 09:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota launches 5 speed Fortuner AT in India. TRD Sportivo now a regular variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
As per the photos in this website http://www.toyotabharat.com/cars/new...ner/index.aspx the 5 speed automatic transmission has a 'D-4' slot where the 4 speed automatic transmission has a 'D-3' slot, '3' vs '2' slot and 'L-2' vs 'L' slot. Is there any other way of finding out?
One of my friend wants to buy an AT 5 speed, he is going to book today. Delivery period assured was 45 days.

We could test drive only the older 4 speed, already impressed with the performance. I am sure 5 speed would be a better bet. It comes close to 27.5 L in CBE.

The only concern is the FE, In the test Driven car the average was only 8, I hope with 5 speed it could go up to 9.
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:41   #18
BHPian

http://motoroids.com/news/toyota-for...-trd-body-kit/
Quote:
The Fortuner will soon get a Head Up display that will project the car speed and other information on the windshield. The car is also slated to get ‘Metal Pedal set’ for its manual variant.

Fortuner to get heads up display, metal pedal set and DRL's.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota launches 5 speed Fortuner AT in India. TRD Sportivo now a regular variant-toyotafortunerledlights.jpg  

Toyota launches 5 speed Fortuner AT in India. TRD Sportivo now a regular variant-toyotafortuneraccessories1.jpg  

Toyota launches 5 speed Fortuner AT in India. TRD Sportivo now a regular variant-toyotafortuneraccessories2.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2013, 12:39   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
http://motoroids.com/news/toyota-for...-trd-body-kit/Fortuner to get heads up display, metal pedal set and DRL's.
These are all accessories that were always available for the Fortuner. Just visit the Toyota India website and check out the entire list of accessories.

They usually kit one media car with the whole list of accessories to show them off.
Old 8th February 2013, 02:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
And By the way, Toyota didn't upgrade Fortuner because of Rexton. As explain by Vid6639, they are sourcing the kits from Thailand and they have exhausted all their 4 speed ATs.
I am not sure about that, because, at least for now, they are selling BOTH the 4 speed AND the 5 speed automatic.
Old 8th February 2013, 02:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post

I am not sure about that, because, at least for now, they are selling BOTH the 4 speed AND the 5 speed automatic.
Those 4 speeds must be few remaining pieces at dealer stock. Once the old stock is cleared out (read: old kits), there will be no 4 speed AT.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 11:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

OK, so I saw this Fortuner ad for the first time (I seldom watch TV). The one with that Chihuahua dog.

Rant hat on:
What a joke of an ad! They are trying to position the Fortuner as a sophisticated, luxury vehicle. That ad could suit the Camry (in India, given the price and perception), but a Fortuner??

Immediately afterwards the Safari Storme ad came. Far far better. I say this as a 4X4 Fortuner owner. That ad makes me want to get on my vehicle and drive off somewhere.

People buy the Fortuner for its perceived toughness and reliability. Not because it is the most sophisticated or comfortable vehicle around.

These marketers have turned a tough, rugged man into a soft metrosexual.

What they should have done IMO? Portrayed the Fortuner as the superb allrounder it is. Maruti tried doing this with the Vitara but failed for obvious reasons.
* Drive on tough trails/camping out during the weekend (after a long and fast highway drive - the Fortuner is a great cruiser)
* Then back in office on Monday in a suit.
* Convey the great reliability and toughness and the low running costs (a positioning Toyota enjoys)

/Rant hat off
Old 8th February 2013, 12:56   #23
BHPian

Question for Fortuner drivers:
How maneuverable is the Fortuner in scattered traffic on a highway? Once on the Eastern Express highway there was a white one continously flashing his lights at me but he could not overtake. And I wasnt zipping. Short bursts of 70-80; mostly an average speed of 50-60.
While I am impressed by its low maintenance cost (put up by a member in another post), not too sure of its maneuverablity.
Old 8th February 2013, 19:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

The TRD Version is another example of step-motherly treatment to indians.

The Thai version has TRD Racing shocks as a part of the TRD Kit, but we get only the cosmetic updates like bumper, spoiler and most important of all, the Sticket.
Old 14th February 2013, 11:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
Question for Fortuner drivers:
How maneuverable is the Fortuner in scattered traffic on a highway? Once on the Eastern Express highway there was a white one continously flashing his lights at me but he could not overtake. And I wasnt zipping. Short bursts of 70-80; mostly an average speed of 50-60.
While I am impressed by its low maintenance cost (put up by a member in another post), not too sure of its maneuverablity.
The Fortuner is a great mile cruncher and overtaking is a breeze in it once you get used to handling and torque curve dynamics. You might want to read some of the TD and ownership reports. The 3.0L D4D engine midrange is great for easy overtaking. Why are you giving weightage to one isolated incident? Maybe it wasn't safe, maybe the driver was a newbie in the Fortuner.

I have done a 7000km roadtrip a few months back through all sorts of roads. I do many trips through 6 lane abd 1 lane highways and roads. This aspect should be the least of your concerns.

But you can't expect to drive it like a Cruze or a Swift by darting in and out at the last moment - which is not a good practice anyway. You need to drive it keeping in mind the tall powerful body on frame + ok brakes vehicle it is. Once you get used to the vehicle you can try more stunts if you wish too. I have been forced to weave like a snake when ovetaking kilometres-long truck caravans (occupying all lanes), but I prefer not to do that.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 14th February 2013 at 11:47.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed