Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:19   #16
BHPian

re: Hyundai i10 and its falling sales

I bought a Ritz (petrol) last march and tried out most cars within that range.
The reasons why i didnot buy i10

1) both Wagon R (which was cheaper) and Ritz Vxi (which was a bit costlier) offered much more space. I10 was really a car in between which i was considering, but my wife refused to include as an option as it was smaller, thereby taking the debate back to Wagon R or Ritz.

2) service period of 6 months vis-a-vis 12 months, coupled with higher servicing charges result in overall higher maintenance costs for I10. take into account the general perception about Maruti reliability, and this factor really weighs more heavily against the I10.

3) the sales person at hyundai showroom kept pitting the I10 against the swift, in terms of similar facilities at lower cost (the new swift was just launched), better mileage etc but was really stumped when i said I was considering Ritz. Dunno if it was the fault of the particular sales person, but he simply could not sell I10 over a Ritz to me.

4) even though it was not part of my decision taking process, but i somehow feel the I10 lacks a definite identity. The Wagon R is for sedate family drives who are conscious about mileage, Brio, Swift are for the more thrill loving crowd. beat is funky and younger. The Ritz is the matured Swift and a solid overall performer.
somehow, the I 10 i just another car out there. IF you want more features per money, I 10 is the choice at that price range, but that is strictly restricted to those who give more attention to such features. For the average family buyer, it is somehow lost in the crowd.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i10 and its falling sales

So much is being said about high service costs of the i10. Can somebody post some details, and also how much a similar segment car would have cost for similar kind of service?

And does the i10 still come with the non-Kappa engine? I'm sure that model has better F.E.

Despite the negatives that have been listed, I'd still say that it is still one of the best hatches in that segment. It has amazing pickup. On the other hand, the new WagonR has poor low-end grunt, despite better F.E.

I own the first generation WagonR and my FE in Hyd city has always hovered between 11 and 13, depending on AC usage. Using this as a reference point, I think the i10 is decent. It is only the automatic i10 that has terrible FE of 8 or so in city driving conditions.
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 and its falling sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
i10 has simply lost its VFM preposition, which would be the USP for the cars of that segment.

Anybody looking at the base variant of i10 would as well get sold to the mid or top variant of the Eon and in the north the i20 would take care of it.
Totally agree regarding i20 being better option within Hyundai than i10 top variants. Before the arrival of the fluidic i20, the price difference between petrol Asta variants of i10 and i20 were around 50k IIRC. Hyundai themselves made it very clear to customers how overpriced i10 is. With that additional 50k, you were getting a bigger car with ACC and alloy wheels without missing any feature available in i10. If you wanted ABS, Asta variants were the only option.

In the current scenario, Asta variants have a bigger price difference as the feature list is much longer for i20 Asta. In fact, current i20 Sportz offers most of i10 Asta features including ABS and driver air bags. Except for the passenger airbag, rear wash/wipe and spoiler, i10 Asta doesn't have anything to boast of over the i20 Sportz. Instead, you get alloy wheels, ACC, Reverse assist with camera, DRL etc in the feature list along with a bigger and more respectable car if you go for i20. All this at just an additional 40k.

Last edited by zenren : 22nd January 2013 at 16:48.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 17:35   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
I 10 i just another car out there. IF you want more features per money, I 10 is the choice at that price range, but that is strictly restricted to those who give more attention to such features. For the average family buyer, it is somehow lost in the crowd.
Exactly. i10 is just another car, and a car without any character. Just like Santro, Spark, Estilo and Indica. That's not the case with Beat, WR, Swift, Ritz, i20, Punto, and Jazz, IMO.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 22nd January 2013 at 17:37.
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Exactly. i10 is just another car, and a car without any character. Just like Santro, Spark, Estilo and Indica. That's not the case with Beat, WR, Swift, Ritz, i20, Punto, and Jazz, IMO.
Okay, but aren't all Hyundai cars like that anyway. Yes, they have come a long way in terms of design, but other than that what is the USP? Reliability, to me, is an essential, not a USP.

I think its doing as good as any car with a petrol only motor can do anyway. The main reason for the staggering sales of Swift is the diesel. WagonR also comes with alternate fuel option (CNG). While the i10 gets the CNG, its only at dealer level, thus not as confidence inspiring.

Similar case in the point is the Brio. I think it is under performing for the car that it is. Coz it doesn't have a diesel.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 22nd January 2013 at 18:36.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Sir, I guess you are grossly underestimating i10. Agree that its just anathor car and so is santro, spark, estilo etc etc. Every car has its positives and negatives. Can you say there is nothing wrong with the Beat, Swift, Ritz, jazz etc.

i10 is a city car with one of the best engines doing the job there. WR and Beat can be in no competion to i10. if you buy i10, you get a superb engine and out of the way features. What else do you need for a City ? i10's 1.2 kappa is no way short of k12. It's the driving dynamics of swift which makes it a sensible buy.

IMO, as a car its stands tall, so tall that Beat, WR, Figo (all Petrol) don't even get close and the YoY sales suggest that. The only reason i see for the sales to go down is older looks, low FE and overPricing.

PS : I don't have an i10 so don't think otherwise
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Every car has it's own pros and cons and Hyundai i10 is no exception. First of all i10 lacks in space (both front and rear), next Hyundai's servicing cost are bit higher (this doesn't means Maruti's servicing cost is cheap), third and most important reason is the lack of diesel engine.

Overall it is a nice city car and serves its purpose.

Maybe it's time for Hyundai to refresh the model with a diesel engine option.

Last edited by bluevolt : 22nd January 2013 at 19:43.
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:47   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I think i10 sales are falling as it lacks a diesel option. For a petrol ONLY car pitched against Swift, the numbers are really good! Read some pointers on bringing a facelift. Guess we are forgetting the fact that the new gen is coming out this year. And mostly with a diesel engine too. That could be a game changer for Hyundai - their diesels have always amazed me. Heard the 1.1L is a 3 pot, I can't just think of the FE going by their diesel history. Yeah, all these if they can price it well. Currently the car is slightly overpriced is what I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
...On the other hand, the new WagonR has poor low-end grunt, despite better F.E.

I own the first generation WagonR and ..
The first gen Wagon R with 1.1L 4 cylinder engine had good low end torque. On the other hand, the current 3 pot 900 cc Wagon R has pathetic low end torque!

Quote:
When launched, the i10 had one of the BEST interiors in products spanning one or two segments upper & lower. This is more of a neutral car which appeals to a bigger audience than any of the cars you mentioned. To me, that ability is its character!

Having said all of these, I believe Hyundai is digging their grave steadily with increasing spare / service costs. Maruti could get away with that strategy, Hyundai might not. Hyundai gained market shares on the "low cost car" funda. They can't afford to go the premium way with mass market cars.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd January 2013 at 19:48.
Old 22nd January 2013, 20:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Before the Nano came in, the female folks who wanted to make a style statement, heavily relied upon the i10. Atleast 2 out of 5 i10's I saw on the road were driven by the women folk.

With the launch of Nano, this trend has seen a change. This would be just a contributory factor if not a primary reason.
Old 22nd January 2013, 20:23   #25
BHPian

- Mileage; Just terrible. No matter how well you drove the car, it would refuse to improve.
- Certain parts cost more. The more common parts are more or less at par with the Maruti's
Old 22nd January 2013, 20:53   #26
BHPian

The i10 is certainly not without the common established faults, namely bumpy ride,low FE. Having said that, it's well refined, has one of the best interiors of the segment, and is a perfect city car in terms of ease of use, 360 deg visibility and a nice airy cabin. I personally think we make too big a deal about fe in any case - most Indians have a daily average run of less than 30 km considering the size of our cities ( Ncr excluded).
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:18   #27
BHPian

having owned an i10 auto for the last 4 months, my view on this,
1. Mileage is not bad as being touted. I get a consistent range between 12.5 to 13.6 kmpl on driving.Well, my wife did manage to get 8 -10 kmpl, but after making her understand the modulating trick with pedal she is managing to get more than 11.5 on every liter. My drive is 100 % AC and a mix of city and village (20%+80%). The best was 13.6 on a 400km trip
2. Bad suspension, too much vertical movement on uneven roads.
3. Handling is not up to the mark (compared to a Wagon R). Highway runs are least confidence inspiring. I am on stock tyre probably adds to it. But if the tyres are of wrong specs, it is Hyundai's problem. My humble alto scores much higher on handling department.
4. The service center is below average and does a very shoddy job.
if it was not or AT, I would have never bought one at the first place. Will I buy it again? The answer is yes since I don't have any better options yet in the market. I won't buy Brio for its looks.I hate it for looks (personal opinion)

Last edited by 999 : 22nd January 2013 at 21:47. Reason: add information
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:21   #28
BHPian

Hi guys I have the new shape i10 sportz kappa2 model and I find this car perfect for an all round city drive. Although when I drive it I ensure I don't go beyond the 2k RPM but inspite of such sedated driving the car returns me 11kmpl. This figure is achieved with 80% AC and complete city driving in chennai. I own the new generation Swift VDi and drive this car the most due to the high fuel efficiency and as its a diesel. But when ever I drive the i10 I find the engine to be super smooth and refined to drive. Yes service costs are high for this segment, don't really know why Hyundai is not looking at this angle.
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

The facelifts carried out on i10 has indeed backfired and is a damp squib appearance wise. It is high time Hyundai stop manufacturing the Santro and once relegated to the Santro slot i10s would sell well; of course at reduced prices.

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd January 2013 at 22:08.
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Actually i10 did surprisingly well inspite of these reasons.

1. Very bland and totally unexciting looks from any angle.

2. Too tiny for the amount you pay

3. Priced high.

4. Servicing costs high.

5. Very poor FE.

6. sandwiched between Eon and i20 which look far better and well- propotioned.

7. And not to mention the Wagon R which is just growing stronger by the day.

Last edited by pgsagar : 22nd January 2013 at 22:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks