Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Now, a Limited Edition Maruti OMNI!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I expect Maruti to come up with an Omni, with blackened A, B and C pillars, 1L K-series engine, and wider tyres.
Unlikely. For those who need a more powerful people mover, they already have Eeco at 3.5 lakhs range with the 73bhp 1.2L engine. Putting the 1L K-series engine could put the Omni pricing too close to the Eeco. Future roadmap for Omni could be to share the Alto800 mill to meet the emission norms while sticking to the current pricing scheme.

EDIT: After seeing the 'features' for the regular Omni variants, I wouldn't be surprised even if they mention seats, spare wheel, 2 head lights etc as features

Here are the features in regular 5-seater Omni (source: www.marutiomni.com)

Interior Equipment
Reclining front seats
Adjustable front seat head restraints
Sliding facility in driver's seat
Rear view mirror
Floor carpet
Steering lock
Glove compartment with lock
Front seat belts (ELR)
Rear seat belts (static)*
Dashboard with cup – holder and space for utility items
Two – tone upholstery

Electrical
2 speed windshield wiper
3 position cabin light
Multi-function levers
High mount rear stop lamp
Headlamp leveling device

Exterior
Hatchback door lock
Front and rear thermoplastic bumper
Laminated glass windshield
Mud flaps (front & rear)
Outside rear – view mirror (right)
Body graphics
Clear lens headlamps

Last edited by zenren : 23rd January 2013 at 15:53.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:46   #17
BHPian

re: Now, a Limited Edition Maruti OMNI!!

Not much that I was expecting but, could have atleast thrown in a decent set of wheel caps. Come on, Maruti!!

The left side mirror HAS to be a limited edition spec.

Last edited by MetalBuff : 23rd January 2013 at 15:53.
Old 24th January 2013, 09:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Now, a Limited Edition Maruti OMNI!!

Rather high expectations from a 31 year old design. C'mon guys its a bare bone people carrier that's all it is. Rest all is secondary!
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 16:28   #19
BHPian

Still doesnt have any airbags...
i<3turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 16:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
Still doesnt have any airbags...
You expected a Rs. 2.5-3L vehicle which has a leftside ORVM as a limited edition spec to be equipped with airbags?

Last edited by Recompose : 24th January 2013 at 16:33.
Recompose is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 16:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
It beats me to think Maruti is advertising 'left side rear view mirror' as a new 'feature' in the limited edition. Its time to enact a law mandating basic safety features in every car sold.
BINGO!! This is exactly what I wanted to write. How can the Passenger side RVM be termed as a new feature? The left side mirror is a vital tool while driving and I fail to understand why the government hasn't made it a norm for auto manufacturers to make this mandatory on all their cars across models.

The Passenger Side Rear View Mirror is not an accessory. It's a necessity. Full Stop.
iceman7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 17:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post

You expected a Rs. 2.5-3L vehicle which has a leftside ORVM as a limited edition spec to be equipped with airbags?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post

BINGO!! This is exactly what I wanted to write. How can the Passenger side RVM be termed as a new feature? The left side mirror is a vital tool while driving and I fail to understand why the government hasn't made it a norm for auto manufacturers to make this mandatory on all their cars across models.

The Passenger Side Rear View Mirror is not an accessory. It's a necessity. Full Stop.
Exactly!! If its on the road and has capabilities to reach speeds of 60 kmph it should have airbags
Old 24th January 2013, 18:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Does its competition have airbags? Does the law mandate it? Why blame Maruti.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 19:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Does its competition have airbags? Does the law mandate it? Why blame Maruti.
Exactly my point. I don't know why people are bashing Maruti. Agreed that it does not come with airbags, discs all around and is not crash tested. But, all of these are not mandated by any Indian laws. If there is a market, company will cater to it. People are complaining about kids safety in school vans: please think if not Maruti Omni, then they will have to travel in Bajaj Rickshaws.

Even Toyota launched new Camry with just 2 airbags whereas all over the world, it has 6 airbags. As long as, it is not mandated, you can't blame Maruti.

Government has to bring the new safety laws (at least front 2 airbags, ABS etc.) to protect the consumers OR Consumers have to stop buying such products like a mature market.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 24th January 2013 at 19:48.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 20:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Hope we get a LIMITED edition Omni soon which meets recent Passenger safety specs. This car DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE SOLD. Period.
Well, it does have booster assisted front DISK brakes (Tata Nano should be sold ??) , front & rear seat belts, front impact beam , adjustable front seat head restraints, front demister & high mounted rear stop lamp. At approx Rs. 2.5 lac ex-showroom, it does not leave much room for Curtain Airbags , ESP or ABS. However we have to see who is the target customer. A person driving a civic or a sunny will have a completely different perspective on safety from a person enquiring for an Omni. Having one's own mode of transportation is sometimes the biggest safety feature, if we compare to travelling in speeding autos without doors, hanging from crowded buses, driving a 2 wheeler or even walking on the road. To drive the point home, it is much safer for its occupants than a Rs. 20 lac Harley Fatboy on Indian roads. Whatever, all in all its still a matter of perspective !!
gitartha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 22:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
Having one's own mode of transportation is sometimes the biggest safety feature, if we compare to travelling in speeding autos without doors, hanging from crowded buses, driving a 2 wheeler or even walking on the road.
Totally agree here.

As the saying goes, a picture is worth thousand words. Omni or 800, even if decades old in design and other aspects is certainly safer for families like the one in below picture, when compared to what they are currently using. Adding safety kits to entry level cars and making it out of reach for a number of two-wheeler owners like below wouldn't help their safety on the road.

Now, a Limited Edition Maruti OMNI!!-dsc02065.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm in no way encouraging such idiots on the road who put their and other's life at stake.
Old 25th January 2013, 06:01   #27
Team-BHP Support

Such a poor joke by Maruti. That car is fit only for the museum. Not second thoughts about it's utility at all; just that it hasn't even remotely kept in touch with today's mature market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
This is actually a good strategy. What Maruti is offering as standard fitment on the OMNI Ltd are the basic accessories which a customer gets fitted at a dealer point.

Am sure these will not come to the dealership as factory fitted, instead Maruti will instruct the dealer to fit it before they sell (so that the dealer can also make some money).

The OMNI market, largely Tier 2/3/4cities, will appreciate this move.
I disagree.

Be it a metropolis or a 2/3-tier city, almost every one in India has graduated to choosing a fancy music system for their vehicle.

The fact that the Omni comes with a factory-fitted one is not really going to raise eyebrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Hope we get a LIMITED edition Omni soon which meets recent Passenger safety specs. This car DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE SOLD. Period.
That design itself needs to be retired. It is fickle as a pack of cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit_dce View Post
It still is the car that does not cost a fortune and can seat some 6-8 odd people. Kudos Maruti
Yea, but then so does the "6-seater"/tum-tum or whatever each city calls them. This one is just completely enclosed. Maruti is just milking the people on the brand that Omni built for itself.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 07:28   #28
Team-BHP Support

The limited edition is indeed a joke, and it shows that Maruti-Suzuki want to extend the life of this cash-cow as much as possible.

IMO, the worst application of this car when used as an ambulance – flying in 3 digit speeds to save a life, and risking all the other occupants inside!
Old 25th January 2013, 10:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
IMO, the worst application of this car when used as an ambulance – flying in 3 digit speeds to save a life, and risking all the other occupants inside!
I dont think we have any ambulance model that is safe at 3-digit speeds. Due to its small size, there are many narrow roads where an Omni can go but none of the other safer ambulance models available in India would be able to even enter. Not all roads in India have the width to accomodate a Traveller or a Winger. We are not speaking about a highway cruiser here but an emergency vehicle that needs to reach as close to the place where the person in need of help is present.

IMO, Omni Ambulance is still a practical idea. There should be atleast one such ambulance available with the hospitals that keep a fleet to handle scenarios that I mentioned earlier. For shifting patients between hospitals, bigger ambulances would be a better option. We've had Omni ambulances on our roads for quite a long time. How many mishaps have we heard where someone got hurt due to the lack of safety of the Omni Ambulance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
so does the "6-seater"/tum-tum or whatever each city calls them. This one is just completely enclosed. Maruti is just milking the people on the brand that Omni built for itself.
I would look at Omni as an alternate option for these type of vehicles. Would you prefer to travel in the 3-wheeled "6-seater" instead of the Omni? For a model that doesn't come with even an AC in any variants, it is certainly not aimed at the families or just for personal use.

Maruti has provided a better option in Eeco at around 75k extra, which means anyone who can afford that additional 75k can buy Eeco. For those who can't afford that 75k, they might be going for a more unsafe option if Maruti pulls the plug off Omni.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 10:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Is there a possibility to fit an after market AC into an Omni? Just wondering...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks