Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2013, 20:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: January 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Good to see the increase in Polo numbers. These figures should improve with the upgrades recently announced.
However Vento deserves a more respectable numbers.
Commendable performance by M&M. and relatively dismal performance by TATA. Nano volumes have dropped even after the scaled up marketing?
Jazz seem to be fading away, could be that the phase out story is coming near.
FIAT has still no takers after their increased dealership network?

GM's Latest launch will be crucial in the garnering volumes , would see in the coming months.

And has usual the top honors goes to Maruti having held the top 4 slots. Hope their map for upgrades would help the Ritz , A star and SX4 to contribute to the needed volumes.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd February 2013 at 20:28.
Old 2nd February 2013, 21:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

See some surprises this time.

- First time ever, Innova sales dipped?!
- Consistent second month sales decline for Duster! From Oct, 2012 the sales dipped as much as 40% ! Sign of time to come?
- Don't see anyone waiting for Amaze by declining Dzire!
- Time Honda decides on Diesel Brio as well, the engineering costs can NOT be much considering the platform is already there and the engine will be used in Amaze as well. Grab whatever sales you can with a diesel, atleast for the next 12 months! Bring it soon if you want, else forget it.
- Really sad to see the way Vista/Manza is performing. TATA, please ret rid of your sentiments with the shape & brand of Indica. It only helps the brilliantly engineered, VFM Vista suffer!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 2nd February 2013 at 21:54.
Old 2nd February 2013, 22:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its very sad to see the entry level luxury sedans segment shrinking this fast. Even with well established and competitive players slugging it out, none of them is getting a decent share of the pie. At this rate, the segment would have vanished even before the highly capable and promising new Octavia steps in!

TATA - I am wondering whatever happened during April 2012! Just notice the dip that they have taken from the 34K average before April 2012 to the 20-24K average they did after that point! And at about 17K units this month, they seriously need to act fast. I am guessing that the market has started to get bored with the existing line-up. I would suggest them to stop prodding the Aria any further and concentrate on their SUV line-up.

Surely "Diesel" and "SUV" are they key words every manufacturer has to focus, to stay in the race.
Old 3rd February 2013, 01:27   #19
BANNED

About 87% (around 90K numbers) of Maruti's sales come from just 6 models - Alto, Omni, Swift, DZire, Ertiga and WR, and remaining 9 models contributes just 13% (about 13K)!

But Maruti can't ignore this 13K, as it is equal to the total sales of Toyota, the 5th largest manufacturer! Even the slow selling models like 800, A-Star and the soon-to-be discontinued Estilo individually sells more than the total sales of HM and Fiat.

I think Tata is not serious about the Indian passenger car business (no new exciting models recently), and is interested only in the profit JLR brings to their kitty.
romeomidhun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 07:34   #20
BHPian

A serious wake up call for Tata and Toyota.

Tata needs some brand new cars (Not old cars with new makeup please!) and a complete revamp of their sales strategy (reduce variants, emphasize more on product quality, offer 3-4 year maintenance packages etc)

Toyota needs to get rid of the Etios twins before they do permanent damage to the brand in India. Recently a friend bought a Petrol Etios, primarily for the space it offers and I was shocked to see how tinny and poorly built the car is. Toyota probably forgot that its the cars that made the brand what it is today and not the other way around.
prashanthyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:30   #21
BHPian

One of the 2100 numbers of Jan 2013, Xylos, is mine :-) It's a Java Brown, E8 with ABS and Airbags. Expect a review by this month end.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:09   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Diesel : Petrol Story

Elantra 347 : 141
Fluence 1 : 107
Laura 169 : 1
Corolla 252 : 132
Jetta 206 : 27
Interesting numbers there in the D1 segment.

1) The petrol-heads dream Laura TSI just managed one number, while the Jetta with the lesser 1.4TSI doing 27!
2) Corolla and Elantra petrol posting respectable figures.
3) And the Fluence figures looks unrealistic - just one diesel against 107 petrol cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Superb 59 : 54
The almost 50% distribution shows the superb VFM factor of the Superb petrol.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 13:27   #23
BHPian

The Safari/Strorme numbers seem to suggest that the Storme has not been as poorly received in the marked as many would seem to believe. And this when the Storme had not been unrolled across the country comprehensibly. With cross nation deliveries starting this month onwards, it will be interesting to see the numbers for this car for this month.
Old 3rd February 2013, 18:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Interesting numbers there in the D1 segment.

1) The petrol-heads dream Laura TSI just managed one number, while the Jetta with the lesser 1.4TSI doing 27!
2) Corolla and Elantra petrol posting respectable figures.
3) And the Fluence figures looks unrealistic - just one diesel against 107 petrol cars!

The almost 50% distribution shows the superb VFM factor of the Superb petrol.
We should see how this story changes month over month with the diesel prices going up by 40-50 paise per month.

GTO, Parrys: great work as usual, I am a big fan of this post and can't stop admitting that every month.
nilambuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 01:53   #25

I am just wondering what spiked Wagon R's MoM numbers from 4K to 15K, while its prime competitor i10 barely managed to hold on to its previous month numbers, as both of these cars should have been prime beneficieries of Diesel price correction.

Is it just theDiesel price correction policy announcement by Govt., alone or something else contributing to Wagon R?
Old 4th February 2013, 08:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hits_80 View Post
I am just wondering what spiked Wagon R's MoM numbers from 4K to 15K, while its prime competitor i10 barely managed to hold on to its previous month numbers, as both of these cars should have been prime beneficieries of Diesel price correction.

Is it just theDiesel price correction policy announcement by Govt., alone or something else contributing to Wagon R?
No the diesel price correction policy announcement by Govt.is not contributing to Wagon R's increased numbers. If you look at the previous years Wagon-R sales figures, then you will notice that it was consistently doing above 10K numbers from Aug to Oct 2012. There was a momentary dip in the Dec-12 figure & it came down to 4K only because the supply was restricted due to the impending launch of the facelifted version. So the sudden bump in numbers after the facelifted Wagon-R launch to cope up with the pending deliveries.

January 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-wagonr-sales.jpg

Last edited by AutoIndian : 4th February 2013 at 08:46.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 10:32   #27
BHPian

Disheartened to see Nano at just 1500 nos, and its Jan wherein shipments are usually more than average.
I guess they have almost similar nos of sales points.

Is this huge engineering effort slowly dying down or a lull before new variants/upgrades onslaught coming shortly. I sincerely hope for the later.

Thanks GTO & Parry with the wonderful report.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:39   #28
BHPian

Superb report as usual. Thanks GTO and Parry

It pains me to see the dwindling figures of Jazz (my dream). As rightly said, it never recovered from its initial pricing fiasco in spite of being an incredible machine. Would love to see what Amaze does to the fortunes of Honda in India.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi GTO & Parrys, wonderful job & thanks a lot for sharing this immaculate analysis, month after month, so consistently. Where else could we get such an in-depth analysis of the India car market scene? Feels proud to be a part of this forum.

Quote:
The Diesel : Petrol Story
This part is the icing on the cake. Since I could not find the Diesel/Pertrol break-up for the cars from Maruti's stable, I am assuming they are not ready to share that yet. I cannot understand why MSIL is afraid of disclosing these figures as if it is their trade secret . If & when they give those figures, I would also like to know the split between the Petrol/CNG variants especially for cars like Wagon-R, which despite being such an old platform are able to pull up such magnificent numbers. I am quite confident that CNG variants are bringing in those numbers, but only actual sales figures can prove this hypothesis.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 11:56   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The SX4 experiences growth, but 1,000 units isn’t saying too much for a Maruti sedan. Probably dealers stocking up the marginally updated version?
This is exactly what I was thinking! The only probable reason that the numbers went up by 3 times could be because plant has dispatched the updated cars to all dealers resulting in the spike in numbers. There is no other reason that the SX4 suddenly shot up.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed