Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:57   #31
Mik
BHPian

re: Maruti to discontinue Estilo, A-star EDIT: Estilo axed

A true value pre-"facelift" Estilo was my first car. Sold it off last year. The car had its share of issues like unconventional design, flimsy build and the famous Maruti rattle. But, it also had a very peppy F10D engine which had enough bottom end torque to shame some of the newer cars in its segment.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:00   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I got both the Zen and the Zen Estilo (facelifted variant); I always feel that this is a car that should have sold in good numbers. The biggest blunder that Maruti did was to name it Zen Estilo. Second blunder was launching it in Pink color.

Rest is history. Glad to own one.
I agree with you fully Amtak!

By naming the Estilo.. Zen estilo the public started comparing the old beautiful Zen with the Estilo and people were not happy with as it was similar to WagonR.

This was a negative for the Estilo and people preferred the WagonR more than Estilo so it didn't sell well.

That was the biggest mistake by them.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by performance plumbing View Post
A source told me today that A-Start will be sold in India as long as Maruti exports the car internationally.
Now this is good news. A-star is a good car to drive when compared to cars like i10, WagonR. The weird design and perceived lack of rear space killed the car. I always feel this car is a true successor to the erstwhile Jellybean Zen.

I have an idea for the A-star. Take the present A-star, make the headlamps round in shape. Take off the indicator. Integrate the indicator in the round headlamps. It could or could not have a tiny little grille at the bonnet shut line. Am sure this will turn out to be a good looking car. Anybody good at Photoshop willing to try this out?

Lastly, plonk the K12M, atleast in the ZXi variant, for the enthusiasts .
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

How is the Estilo being phased out when there are some really good deals going on for this product? Or maybe that is exactly why Suzuki is willing to offer 50-70k off on a brand new Estilo - clearing off inventory, I guess.

The Stingray may take the Estilo's physical place at the Suzuki stockyard.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:14   #35
BHPian

Recently saw in motoroids about the estilo being discontinued. Here is the linkhttp://www.motoroids.com/news/maruti...-sales-charts/
Old 23rd August 2013, 23:00   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
How is the Estilo being phased out when there are some really good deals going on for this product? Or maybe that is exactly why Suzuki is willing to offer 50-70k off on a brand new Estilo - clearing off inventory, I guess.
Deals are always offered like Clearance Sale by manufacturers to get rid of the stock lying all around their stockyards. So now we can see huge discounts on the Estilo till it dies a silent death.

R.I.P Estilo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
The Stingray may take the Estilo's physical place at the Suzuki stockyard.
Why do you feel the Stingray would not sell much? I guess it wont set the charts on fire but it would be going around 4-6K cars a month. What ever it is Maruti gets a Win-Win situation.

Anurag.
Old 24th August 2013, 07:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

This move makes sense for Maruti. WagonR + Stingray means concentrating on one single platform. Estilo was on the old WagonR platform.

I feel, the problems with Estilo was the 'Zen' name tag as both cars were quite different, lack of cabin space as the boot was given more prominence and the initial premium pricing above the mighty WagonR. The F10D motor was good but the gear shift was very notchy.
Old 24th August 2013, 18:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti to discontinue Estilo, A-star EDIT: Estilo axed

Estilo is already labeled as a flop and hence even some people who are willing to buy it opt Wagon R considering the resale value. I'm pretty sure Maruti would be releasing combined sales numbers of Wagon R and Stingray from next month (like they do for all the Altos) which will make it difficult to label it as a flop even if Stingray doesn't sell very well thanks to the Wagon R numbers.

Even an average sales for Stingray would give very better numbers for Wagon R platform and might help Maruti retain the #4 slot once next gen i10 launches with a diesel mill.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 19:36   #39

What maruti needs to do reduce the price of the Astar and repackage the interiors and sell it. That would ensure that people can afford a little more than the Alto 800 have an exciting option.. of u people have driven the Astar you will agree that its a much better car than the wagon R and also two generations ahead.. I for one would like see a worthy successor to the original zen and i think the A star would fit the bill nicely.. Anyway doesnt look like its going out of production any time soon.. so viva Astar
othelloinme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 20:23   #40
BHPian

Finally Maruti discontinues a model from its lineup
A-star should be next in line with the next-gen A-star slated to launch soon.Maruti should bring back the Zen nameplate with it as it would be more in line with the original instead of the Estilo which was quite the opposite of a low-slung,small,peppy hatchback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I'm pretty sure Maruti would be releasing combined sales numbers of Wagon R and Stingray from next month (like they do for all the Altos) which will make it difficult to label it as a flop even if Stingray doesn't sell very well thanks to the Wagon R numbers.

Even an average sales for Stingray would give very better numbers for Wagon R platform and might help Maruti retain the #4 slot once next gen i10 launches with a diesel mill.
But,Maruti are marketing the Stingray as a separate model and you don't see any mention of the WagonR in the car or the ads etc.Maybe they have seen what happens to a car's image if you associate it with an existing model (i.e.Tata Motors)
So,we would most probably get to see the market response to the car in the monthly sales report.

Last edited by Marauder : 24th August 2013 at 20:26.
Old 24th August 2013, 20:28   #41
BHPian

MSIL seems to be clearing the backlog by offering stealthy discounts.
Remember seeing discount of Rs.81000 for the Estilo in one of those ads couple of days before.
I may be one among the few who still believes that Estilo is a great city car; at-least before those new entrants like Eon, Brio etc came up.
Old 24th August 2013, 20:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti axes Estilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I got both the Zen and the Zen Estilo (facelifted variant); I always feel that this is a car that should have sold in good numbers. The biggest blunder that Maruti did was to name it Zen Estilo. Second blunder was launching it in Pink color.

Rest is history. Glad to own one.
I agree with you on the first blunder part. But I find pink to be the only colour that appealed to female members in my family. As regards me, I detest the Estillo's looks, though I heard some owner friends saying that it drives better than the WagonR.
Old 25th August 2013, 08:39   #43
BHPian

According to me, Estilo stands for one of the worse gear boxes a car could have. That's reason enough for me to not to feel bad that it will not be sold now. Some people have gratified themselves saying it somewhat looks like a small Innova.
I am sure many owners will say it was a decent car. But compared to what competition offered during its time, the older Zen feels much better than this.
Old 25th August 2013, 09:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

MSIL has a great opportunity here.
They have already axed the Estillo, so they have the 'Zen' tag freed from the clutches of a market dud.
Next step should be pulling the plug on the A Star - which IMO, deserved the 'Zen' name tag in the first place.
The final step should be launching the nextgen A star replacement, and naming it as 'Zen'.
And start a viral ad campaign like 'The real Zen is back in town...' - then sit and watch as the new car sells in thousands!
Old 25th August 2013, 11:15   #45
BHPian

in June 2010 i was in maruti showroom to get a city car for my wife, blue eye wagon r was launched just then and it had waiting period for 1 month. price difference between Estilo Vxi with more features and Vxi WR was 40K, I got estilo for 3.71L OTR where as WR was 4.11 OTR same engine but newer platform. I have never regretted my decision except the poor resale value, but I am going to keep the car for another 5 yrs so it should not be a problem. Estilo was not a horrible product but it had bad image vs Wagon R

but in real world it was failure and so priced less and better value for money. I have a WR and the day i post it in olx i got 20-22 inquiries. But resale is also for older F10 version not the new K10 .

Most Viewed