Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 13:49   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-gurkha.jpg

The Force Gurkha enters the Indian market again. It’s available in soft-top & hard-top variants.

Soft-Top 4x2: 6.25 Lakhs

Soft-Top 4x4: 8.35 Lakhs (Mahindra Thar = Rs. 5.2 Lakhs for DI engine, 7.1 Lakhs for CRDe)

Hard-Top 4x4: 8.5 Lakhs

To read the pre-release first drive and full list of mechanical changes, click here.

The 2-door Gurkha’s looks are largely unchanged. There are marginal aesthetic updates, mainly to the lights (circular headlamps), front grille and bumpers. The snorkel is purposeful, and the Force team has added roof racks & "Force One" alloy wheels too in their attempt to dress up the old girl. The interior sees some improvements, including more supportive seats, a smoother gearshift and other miscellaneous bits. Even though rear passengers have to fold down the front passenger seat to get in, access isn’t too difficult. It must be noted that fit & finish remain at shoddy levels; they aren't comparable even to 3-lakh rupee hatchbacks.

The Gurkha is powered by a 2.6L turbo-diesel, derived from the same OM616 engine (a Mercedes design) which is a known workhorse. With hardware & software upgrades, the motor now makes 81 BHP & 230 Nm max torque. Our first-drive report indicates that NVH levels have improved and more power is available at all rpm levels. The Gurkha 4x4 is an extremely competent off-roader and equipped with lockable diffs as standard.

Force Motors has strangely launched the BS-3 version only. Translated, it cannot be sold or registered in the BS-4 markets of the NCR region, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai and other metropolitan cities. The reason behind this move could be budgetary limitations for what is a niche product, or that Force expects most of its sales to come from BS-3 markets only. The company has stated that a BS-IV version will follow, but hasn't shared any time frame. Force’s dealership network is scarce and service levels are very poor.

The Gurkha's only two competitors are the Mahindra Thar & Maruti Gypsy. While the Mahindra Thar has two diesel engine options (a cheaper DI & more expensive CRDi), the Gypsy is a petrol-only offroader.

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-gurkha-1.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2013 at 10:42.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 13:54   #2
BHPian

Re: Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs

Nice custom work.

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-20130215_115518.jpg

Last edited by klassics45 : 15th February 2013 at 13:55.
klassics45 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 14:05   #3
BHPian

Re: Pre-Release Test Ride : New Gurkha 4x4 @ Force Motors Pune

I know / I have a 4 x4.

What in gods name is 4x4x4 ? Does the Front and Rear Diff Locks signify the last 4 ?
Old 15th February 2013, 14:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

There goes a big opportunity of utilising the ForceOne drivetrain comprising of the OM611 based engine. Would have even given economy of scales rather than maintain two different engines for two different vehicles. Could have taken the 4x4 world by storm.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 14:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Soft-Top 4x2: 6.25 Lakhs

Soft-Top 4x4: 8.35 Lakhs (Mahindra Thar = Rs. 5.2 Lakhs for DI engine, 7.1 Lakhs for CRDe)

Hard-Top 4x4: 8.5 Lakhs
GTO, I believe these are Ex-Showroom, New Delhi prices, right? Add another 1L for local taxes & registration. So OTR hard top price will be around 9.5L.
And this is for the BS-3 variant.

In that case, I shudder to think what the On-road prices would be for the 2.2 Crdi engines. The hard top 2.2 would touch 10.5-11L OTR price in most cities

Regards,
Varun
powertrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 15:01   #6
BHPian

Some more pics from IAB.

No AC for soft top version.
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-softtopnoac.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-hardtopinterior.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-forcegurkha32.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-forcegurkha30.jpg  

datvichrox2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 15:03   #7
BHPian

Some more pics, Courtesy Indianautosblog

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-5.jpg

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-6.jpg

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-7.jpg

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-8.jpg

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-10.jpg

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-11.jpg

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-12.jpg

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-13.jpg

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-14.jpg

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-15.jpg

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-16.jpg

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-17.jpg

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-18.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-4.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-9.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-19.jpg  

Last edited by powertrain : 15th February 2013 at 15:06.
powertrain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 15:21   #8
BHPian

Force motors have launched the bs 3 version of the gurkha today. In the afternoon I phoned avk force their dealer in chandivali. They are personal vehicle division dealers of force. He told me that the only news that they have is what they have seen on the internet and what people like me have informed them by phone about the delhi launch. They have no news about the gurkha from the company. They have been told that it is a media launch and no demo vehicle has till date been dispatched to them. When tbe force one was launched they got the vehicle after about three months after the launch and the same may hold true for the gurkha. He however promised to revert with back with news if any. Force Motors is still not serious about its products. The dealer admitted that they were getting number of calls for the guys have and they too were embarrassed on not being able to provide precise information. Besides the BS 4 version may still take a year or even more to reach the mumbai showroom. All gurkha fans in the cities are going to be disappointed.
Old 15th February 2013, 15:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra customization and Force motors are anyway connected? i asked this question because they both ruin a perfect vehicle in the name of customization. BTW i am rally looking forward for 4x4 Gurkha soft top.

Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 15:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhatshah View Post
Force motors have launched the bs 3 version of the gurkha today. In the afternoon I phoned avk force their dealer in chandivali. They are personal vehicle division dealers of force. He told me that the only news that they have is what they have seen on the internet and what people like me have informed them by phone about the delhi launch. They have no news about the gurkha from the company. They have been told that it is a media launch and no demo vehicle has till date been dispatched to them. When tbe force one was launched they got the vehicle after about three months after the launch and the same may hold true for the gurkha. He however promised to revert with back with news if any. Force Motors is still not serious about its products. The dealer admitted that they were getting number of calls for the guys have and they too were embarrassed on not being able to provide precise information. Besides the BS 4 version may still take a year or even more to reach the mumbai showroom. All gurkha fans in the cities are going to be disappointed.
I got the same replies yesterday from them.
I guess Mahindra does not have to worry about Force for a year or two.
The only way Gurkha will roll out of the showrooms is due to pull by the customers. The company does not seem interested in pushing it's products.
It is the 21st century ! Where are the online webcast launches, speeches etc ?
At ease, Mahindra.
Old 15th February 2013, 15:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am actually confused. Is the Green Machine featured here the actual model being sold in the market or is it a customization? If it is indeed the one being sold, I guess the bumper goes for a toss if you need a winch.

Good looking front, not so at the back. The bumper at the back looks kind of cheesy.
Old 15th February 2013, 16:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

The interiors look decent and is on par with it's main rival Mahindra Thar.
For an extra 1.4L Gurkha offers.
1. Hard Top
2. Alloy Wheels
3. Snorkel
4. All 5 Front facing seats.
5. Lockable Diffs
But the lack of BSIV compliant engine along with wafer thin sales and support network will hurt it's sales numbers

Last edited by speedmiester : 15th February 2013 at 16:24.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 16:44   #13
BHPian

What all the Thar DI which had to be the true blue offroader failed to deliver, Gurkha packs it all in. Mahindra chose to pass the chance where Force gained. At 1.4lacs above Thar, Gurkha patches up all the major shortcomings of its rival and that in no way is a premium considering the times we live in.

An acceptable package at last!

Last edited by SandyX : 15th February 2013 at 16:56.
SandyX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 16:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
I know / I have a 4 x4.

What in gods name is 4x4x4 ? Does the Front and Rear Diff Locks signify the last 4 ?
Four Wheel Steering
Perhaps, they mean 4 passenger seats.
Old 15th February 2013, 17:11   #15
BHPian

What in the world is 4*4*4 - does it even mean anything or just a sticker stuck on by a clueless employee of the amateurish custom shop these display Gurkha's went to?

And in the pic of the green Gurkha with the rear door open, the way the seat belts are lazily hung over the rear seats speaks volumes about quality at Force motors (or lack!) for these are inaugral show cars, one would assume that atleast visibly they dont look like things are already falling apart!

OR - are the rear seat belts not retractable? That would be really shocking!

Last edited by bobbafett : 15th February 2013 at 17:13.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed