Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 13:04   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You must take the crown for sheer persistence. Change your handle to 4x4x4addict, Tini.
Steer. After the last test drive, my flirting with Gurkha is completely over. As of now, I have decided to get a Duster 4x4.
Old 7th November 2014, 23:00   #422
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the first new Gurkha near my home. Looks good in flesh. Hoping to get a TD as the dealer is about 200mts from my place.
Old 8th November 2014, 02:31   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Looks good in flesh.
In the plastic. There's hardly any 'flesh' on that thing.
Old 8th November 2014, 08:12   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
In the plastic. There's hardly any 'flesh' on that thing.
Steer, I've made up my mind to completely ignore that hideous front. As the old black grill and chrome bumper is available from the dealers that should be the first change that all new owners should be doing. The side view and rear view are good and the vehicle is incredibly silent at idle. Surprising.
Old 8th November 2014, 15:40   #425
Senior - BHPian

Hahaha
So I just test drove a Gurkha!
Hahaha!!

Just can't stop laughing! That is simply the most archaic vehicle I have ever driven! Period! The Thar suddenly becomes a gen next SUV and someone coming form this to a Pajero Sport or Fortuner would feel like he/she has warped a couple of timezones! Ha!

Lets see point wise.

Positives:
  • Looks big and commanding
  • Commanding view from the seat
  • Seats are Comfy
  • Feels built to last
  • One look at the chassis and I was sure this would last a battle!
Negatives
  • The body is not properly built. It is disfigured in many areas and the matt paint hides it to some extent.
  • Someone was talking about rain gutters in the Scorpio, look here and you will call the scorpio ones a beauty.
  • The front plastic grill is hideous! I was immediately told by the sales rep that they have the old black grill with square lights and the chrome bumper ready in stock for change as soon as the new owner wants it.
  • The infamous steering angle. Never thought it would be so weird!
  • The engine has no power! It was struggling to get past 70. I had to plan my over taking maneuvers! Suddenly I was in 1997 driving my Premier Padmini planning my overtaking maneuvers!
  • Oh Body Roll! Now i finally understand what body roll means. It is when the vehicle feels as if it is going to topple. Haha. This gives it a new meaning.
  • The suspension was so weird. As if it is randomly built and installed without the vehicle in consideration. The rear was stepping out on bumps and speed humps. The vehicle could not absorb slight undulations and was constantly moving about its center.
  • The gearbox! What a nightmare! Shifting into any gear is a problem. It just does not want to budge. You're groping in the darkness to find the gate for the first to enter and then while on the move you try to find the second and third and so on!
  • You have to constantly use the gearbox in the city. 20 kmph and you have to shift to second to keep moving. The drivability is just not there!
  • The handling is bad. Very Bad. I had to keep making corrections to keep a straight line and not hit someone. And any swerving action was a project in itself.
  • A moment came when a horse came in front of the vehicle. It was a good distance away. I braked normally and found that there is no reaction from the brake. Had to make a panic braking move to just miss the horse. Spongy, low on feel and low on braking power.
This has been the worst vehicle that I have ever driven! I don't care how many people swear by the Gurkha. Either you guys have not driven anything better or are just plain lying because you've got a reputation to maintain.
It might be super off-road but it has to be half decent on the road. This is utter crap.
Anyone who wants to appreciate the work of any vehicle sold in India should first take a test drive of this vehicle. This is downright the biggest waste of Rs.8.75 Lakhs Ex-showroom that anyone would ever make!

I was a bit harsh above but today in this age and day, that vehicle is like making a fool of the customer and laughing at him too!
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-photo-1.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-photo-2.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-photo-3.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-photo-4.jpg  

navpreet318 is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 23:10   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha
Hahaha!!

I was a bit harsh above but today in this age and day, that vehicle is like making a fool of the customer and laughing at him too!
Well said. When I told them that it is too underpowered, the reply was it has diff-locks
Old 8th November 2014, 23:14   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Well said. When I told them that it is too underpowered, the reply was it has diff-locks
Hahahahahaha!!! Wow! Exactly the same words!! Looks like they have all been trained together to answer questions on power deficit.
Oh yes he also mentioned that this is the first time that Gurkha has diff locks and the first in the history of India as well.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 8th November 2014 at 23:15.
Old 9th November 2014, 11:16   #428
BHPian

4x4 Adict and Navpreet 318 Sirs, just wanted to ask you something, as I have never had the opportunity to drive a Force Gurkha. How does this vehicle compare with a New Bolero (SLX,ZLX) in terms of top speed and pickup? I have driven a bolero a fair bit and so am just asking to get an idea of where the Gurkha stands.
Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 07:38   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
............... How does this vehicle compare with a New Bolero (SLX,ZLX) in terms of top speed and pickup? ............

Hi. I have not driven the new Bolero, but we had the Bolero for a few months in 2007 and I have done a fair bit of mountain roads as well as a couple of trips to Delhi and Chandigarh. That vehicle too is an archaic but still scores better than the gurkha in terms of acceleration and top speed.
The handling is slightly better in the Bolero in lower mountain terrain speed. Plus better drivability. You can slot it in third and potter around. Not possible in the Gurkha.
And the gearbox in the bolero is a delight compared to the Gurkha!

That time I found the Bolero doing 80-90 in a comfortable way and touching 100-110 in some occasions.
I took the gurkha for a long spin to check highway usability and frankly at speeds around 70 it becomes a nightmare to handle for you to enjoy any driving. It was exhausting.
navpreet318 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 10:02   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha
Hahaha!!!
I first looked at the pictures and was impressed visualizing the vehicle in that colour without rear and front plastic implants. And then i started reading the texts.......!!
I don't know how many people will be interested in this any more. Another side is now Mahindra will further be satiated about the THAR package and i am sure they will also be laughing their heart out after seeing the comments!
Old 19th December 2014, 09:03   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
I first looked at the pictures and was impressed visualizing the vehicle in that colour without rear and front plastic implants. And then i started reading the texts.......!!
I don't know how many people will be interested in this any more. Another side is now Mahindra will further be satiated about the THAR package and i am sure they will also be laughing their heart out after seeing the comments!

I wouldn't ask you to go by my words. The Gurkha is easily available for TD and you should yourself TD one and see what an utter disgust it is for a vehicle. A few friends did the TD and all reiterated the same feelings as I. This is a badly made vehicle and any excuse that it's meant for off-road is just lame.
Old 19th December 2014, 13:57   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Earlier the vehicle was not available for TD, so the many current owners and fanboys kept singing praises and many thought it maybe true. Now that TD is available, potential buyers can take test drive and make up their own mind.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 21:15   #433
Senior - BHPian

Today, while dropping my Thar for service, i came across this red Gurkha parked in the driveway of the Force dealership.
Drove it for about 14kms, both on and off road i was able to test the vehicle in 4H and 4L, did not get a chance to try the Diff locks though.

As i walked in the showroom, i was greeted by Errr an empty showroom and reception at 3-30PM, and i thought Mahindra was worse. I asked for a test drive after i got some attention, and was handed over the keys, without any questions or formalities:

Now coming to the actual gurkha, i guess the looks and all have been discussed to death, so lets talk about the driving experience. Opened the door, and was greeted by that oddly positioned steering wheel, took the driver's seat, and the vehicle started after a tiny earthquake that could have shaken a small island, checked the gear lever, and noticed the unusual shift pattern. This is where the vehicle started showing its true colors, i could shift to reverse and other gears, but no matter how hard i tried, it wont shift into 1st. This went on for like 3-4 minutes, after which their sales rep, gave the gear lever a strong knack and it shifted into 1st thankfully.

As i rolled out of the showroom, the steering which looked oddly placed, felt really weird in the driver's seat, it would have been better off in a 80's roadways bus. The ordeal didn't end here, and the vehicle got stuck in neutral in the middle of the highway, refusing to budge in any gear, luckly i was in the slowest(left)lane, was able to coast the vehicle safely to the side and stop. Turned off the vehicle and restarted, and it again refused to shift into 1st, i was advised to start off from 2nd gear.

The motor has slightly better low end grunt than the Thar Crde, but that's about it, as the revs build up, the progress is slow and Gurkha is not going to set the roads on fire, the Thar on the other hand reaches three digit speeds quickly and is comfortable staying there. Since i drove in a straight line on the highway, so cannot comment on the handling part, but the steering did feel weird.

Took a small off road trail with littered with small stones, and this is where it made me smile a bit, the ride quality was quite acceptable, and the Suspension was not making any noises. The Thar on the same stretch would have offered a bumpy ride along with some creaking noise from the leaf springs. Switched to 4L, and took her into a small pit and she came out with out any problem,this is where i was asked to not go further as they had just washed the vehicle. The vehicle was making a loud transmission whine in 4H mode. Drove back to the show room, and was asked if i would like to book one, which was followed by silence as i pointed a finger towards my thar.

Brownie points over the Thar.
1)Better off roading and wading ability owing to diff locks, Snorkel and lesser electronics.
2)Better ride off the road.
3)Factory hard top and can seat five comfortably.

Thinking of a Gurkha, look elsewhere
Attached Thumbnails
Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-10411989_573645209402611_139834795496679065_n.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-10433140_573637796070019_1936190448585727640_n.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-10846462_573637682736697_3236458563257341695_n.jpg  

Force Gurkha on sale again. Launched @ 6.25 Lakhs-10847836_573637736070025_7950481720719502726_n.jpg  

Last edited by akshay4587 : 19th December 2014 at 21:17.
akshay4587 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 23:35   #434
Senior - BHPian

Why is the snorkel head pointing backwards ? The only time this has to be done is during snow to prevent snow build up inside and around the snorkel. In everyday driving this should always be pointing in the front direction.
Old 26th December 2014, 13:24   #435
BHPian

Some Good News !!!

2 new engines being developed for Gurkha.. & Chassis to accommodate present engine is being done

TD 2200 For High Performance (present engine)
TD 2000 for Mid performance (new engine)
TD 2650 for low performance (new engine)

All BS 4

Tentative launch date May/June 2015

shall update you as i get more info... !
007 Bond is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks