Team-BHP - Best Practises for New Car?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Best Practises for New Car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/13261-best-practises-new-car.html)

Dear All,

I just needed some tips regarding the best practises when you purchase a new car...in the sense...style of driving,rpm to maintain,speed etc.

As fo now,in 10 days,My car has already done 550 Km's ! I drive on Pune-Mumbai bypass daily (70 % highway driving)...occasionally I touch speeds of 100...but I try to maintain speeds of around 60 - 90 and stay below 2500 rpm...what else ? any comments ?

Mod's,

I tried to search for an existing post but couldnot find any...so pardon me if it already exists...and thanks to point me to such posts....;)

thats a good thing u do....try to keep it below 3000 rpm for the 1st 1000 km...apart from that just drive safe.....what u can do is make a scratch on it your self.that way ur a** wont burn when some1 else does itrl:

nitin,
start using some petrol additive in normal unleaded petrol and donot go for some premium petrols like Speed and all.
use everything in your car till warranty lasts!

and since you already got it tefloned, better start washing it regularly rather than rubbing it with a dry cloth! if washing is not feasible, use dripping-wet cloth!

rotate your car's tyres every 5000Kms or so, and do include that spare wheel too into this rotation!

keep your car within sane limits for first 1-1.5K kms or so.
donot rev it hard, although my userID says something else :)

don't allow others to drive ur car !!!. BEST PRACTISE i must say

Quote:

Originally Posted by revharder
nitin,
start using some petrol additive in normal unleaded petrol and donot go for some premium petrols like Speed and all.
use everything in your car till warranty lasts!

keep your car within sane limits for first 1-1.5K kms or so.
donot rev it hard, although my userID says something else :)

Thanks revharder for yr suggestions..
Can you elaborate ? which additives? System G etc. ?
Define "Sane limits" heheheeeee :p

Strangly i was asked to put in Speed when I biught my car and its worknig fine.

nitin,
glad to know that you liked my suggestions.

well, SystemG/IFTEX and Bardhal etc are nice petrol additives. but donot go for some "tablet-aditives" which are being sold on some petrol-pumps near its air-filling point!

Sane-limits means not pushing/revving it hard.
just use normal revs and drive sanely. :)
then there is nothing to worry about running-in procedure and all!

racingforindia,
using speed and other such premium fuels is not necessary.
all they are having is some additional additives to boost the octane rating and to keep your car's fuel lines clear.

this is what petrol additives also do.

but at petrol stations, it is very easy to get duped by getting normal fuel even after paying for superior fuel!
who is going to check that miniscule quantities of additives in it?!
and you won't find any octane checking apparatus with them!
all they can give you is a beaker to check the quantity and a paper to check the quality, nothing else is available with them to check the octane rating and all!

so imho, it is better to pour that additive on your own and then get the normal unleaded petrol at normal rates! and be assured of what you are getting!
:)

For a new car just don't rev it above 3k for the first 500 or so miles and you will be golden

Goin fast isn't a problem. Just try to keep the RPM as low as possible. Some car now will help a lot in the future.

Then some usual things like
1. Avoid using the AC immediately after starting the car
2. Avoid starting the car with the lights on
3. Idle the car for a good 30seconds before and after running the car
4. Use good fuel, from a reputated pump
5. Get used to the new car..like shifting gears, using the clutch n all. Get familier with the vehicles size so that city driving won't be a headache

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by revharder
nitin,
rotate your car's tyres every 5000Kms or so, and do include that spare wheel too into this rotation!

Congrats for your new car.

A solid piece of advice. Always include the spare wheel in your Rotation programme. UNFORTUNATELY very few repairs know about it so make sure that you tell them. Follow the rotation diagram given in the Service Manual.

BTW, which car do you own ?

100kmph on new car? and that too on highways?isnt it too much?

When i bought my new accent, the mechanic told me not to exceed 60kmph till 1k kms.

Never done above 70kmph till now, shift gears at 1.5k rpm..
mann, this is giving me a superb mileage :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedbuster
100kmph on new car? and that too on highways?isnt it too much?

Its more about keeping the RPM low...like u can do 120kmph in 3rd or in 5th..and doin in 5th would be safe as the RPM will be really low

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by karthik247
Its more about keeping the RPM low...like u can do 120kmph in 3rd or in 5th..and doin in 5th would be safe as the RPM will be really low

If you really want your car to go along way, double your running period. Do not exceed 70Kmph. No sudden reving up, especially in the morning when the air is cold.

So long....

Quote:

Originally Posted by varunroy
If you really want your car to go along way, double your running period. Do not exceed 70Kmph. No sudden reving up, especially in the morning when the air is cold.

So long....

Why would u say that..70kmph refers only to the tyre speed and has nutin to do with the engine. Itz the RPM of the engine that u neeed to keep an eye on..