Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2013, 16:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda winds up Jazz production!

look at the silver lining.

i am anticipating, huge discounts on the jazz. great buy if anyone wants to.

cheers,
ac
Old 25th February 2013, 17:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I think this demand thing is absolute rubbish. The Amaze is entering a high-volume category. The Jazz' 200 - 300 monthly units wouldn't make any difference to so-called capacity constraints.
GTO - Here is what Autocar says which seems contrived but for the lack of a better explanation, sounded believable. To sum it up, Honda didn't want to sell too many Jazz cause it wasn't making money. So it ended up with a queue of irate customers so they killed the product!

"One of the reasons production of the Jazz has ended is to free up capacity for the upcoming Amaze saloon which Honda is betting big on. The company wants to focus on the Brio and its derivatives in India, which is turning out to be largest market for Honda’s small car range. Besides, Honda is rumoured to be losing money on the cut-price Jazz, which is why it controlled its production to minimise losses. For the past few months, Jazz sales have averaged less than 400 cars a month but the demand is far higher. This has led to long waiting lists for the Jazz and irate customers, which could be another reason why Honda decided to stop manufacturing this model altogether. "
Old 25th February 2013, 17:22   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
look at the silver lining.

i am anticipating, huge discounts on the jazz. great buy if anyone wants to.

cheers,
ac
Buddy this car has a waiting list!! Don't think Honda will further reduce the prices! IMO, people who have booked a Jazz and are currently awaiting deliveries, will not cancel their bookings until the last unit is sold!

Honda and Toyota (in a way Hyundai too) are known for providing spares for almost 10 years from the time a model gets discontinued. So this invariably means complete peace of mind for a long time!
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 21:33   #49
Team-BHP Support

The Jazz is brilliant no doubt, but launched at a wrong time with a wrong price. Hope Honda can reinvent themselves in 2013 and then bring back a couple of their global products in 2014 (read Civic, Jazz etc.). They always have been in the forefront in bringing their latest models /technology in India.

I can actually see the Jazz doing a Linea T-Jet now – when the car was in
production, not many interested, and then a rush to lap up the last few pieces.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 08:52   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't buy this. A company would kill a product which supposedly has huge waiting lists ( shocked to hear that they would have production problems with only 3-400 of these selling each month) in favour of a yet to be launched vehicle. The Amaze might sound good on paper and everything but unless it delivers in reality there is no reason for Honda to stop the production of a well selling car.

I think its more of a case of Honda trying to save its face and running away from admitting its mistake. The initial pricing fiasco basically killed the Jazz and that image has carried onwards to the current model too. Most people (specially outside the Forum) don't even have the Jazz on there shopping list. Also I am not sure if Honda was really making much profit or as much as they want to, on the current jazz after the drastic price cuts. Hence they found a good excuse in the form of Amaze to save some face and stop the production of Jazz. The new Jazz, I have a feeling, would again be positioned higher than the current Jazz.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 11:11   #51
BHPian

I have been a Jazz owner for 7 months now and am absolutely pleased with what it has to offer (I have done about 7800 kms mostly in Mumbai office-home commuting and one trip to Goa). It looks beautiful and drives the way a car should be. My wife absolutely loves it because of the plush space it provides and the gimmicky rear seats are a dream for our travel/camping requirements.

I am a bit sad (not devastated) that the production is going to stop. Even their minor levels of sales was a comforting reason to Jazzers like me. In all likelihood, from the ownership perspective nothing is going to change, but it still leaves a lingering doubt in the head.
Old 26th February 2013, 14:39   #52
BHPian

Since I was contemplating on booking one, I called up Magnum Honda of Bangalore and asked about this news.
I was told that the production is not stopped and that the news is false.
The guy said that since they are not able to meet the backlog they have only stopped taking new bookings. And soon after they are on control with the backlog they will restart the bookings.
Old 26th February 2013, 14:51   #53
Senior - BHPian

Honda is betting big on Amaze, good for them. But i guess they should not get over confident. Indian market is very different. Peoples mentality here is very different. So Honda should keep all this in mind before betting big on Amaze. In my opinion Amaze will do better than there other models but will not Amaze Honda. There are few reasons to this why i am saying this. Firstly Honda has to price it really at par with Dzire or even at less to generate high volumes, which i don't think will happen. Secondly, Honda is supposed to be a premium brand in India till today. So normal MANGO MAN (AAM ADAMI) will be scared to go to there showrooms thinking of there high costs, costly A$$ and high cost of spares. I guess same happened with there Brio. Thirdly they have not that great reach to the people. I mean they don't have those many showrooms and service centers like Maruti, Tata has. So normal people would like to stay away from such car. Lets see how Honda launches it in the market & how people reacts to it. IMO it will do avg of 4-5 K max
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 17:24   #54
VMG
BHPian

Very sad news.
Jazz is like Cedia. Both are very good cars but did not click in India.
Old 26th February 2013, 18:24   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Sad to see an excellent product go out of streets, but I also hope that Jazz's resale will take a nosedive and I'd be able to pick one in the used market for peanuts.
I wouldn't count on that, because those who know the value of the car would not sell it easily (atleast I wouldnt) and on the same note the asking price may get increased owing to the fact that you wont be able to get such a car that easily on the market anymore!!

Regards
Ekz
Old 26th February 2013, 20:54   #56
BHPian

To me, India is kind of a "me-too" market and cars are no exception either. I wonder if many people know precisely what they want to buy and so merely follow the mob.

I hate manufacturers who try to reduce the 'time to market' and bring shoddy products early in order to benefit from the user feedback. These companies learn from the customer complaints and then fix the issues. But what about the pitiable customer who had put the hard-earned money!!

Definitely, ensuring quality will cost money and hence the end product will also cost more. I read regular adjectives like 'arrogant' about Honda in various forums. From my last 3 years of experience with them, I can vouch that they are not arrogant but in fact confident about the quality they delivers. It is a fine line and so is easy for people to misinterpret it as arrogance. This kind of sentiment further spreads easily via various online forums which eventually results in a negative perception about the brand/product and some good products like 'Jazz' ends up suffering.

Last edited by B103 : 26th February 2013 at 21:03.
B103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 02:36   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
A brand new car is still an aspiration for most people and you need to respect that this is a major event in his life. Lack of respect and arrogance will finish you.

KPS
And oh yes- they have to learn to manage volumes and SIGNIFICANTLY ugrade their dealers' spare part strategy. I still remember the troubles I faced with my Civic's parts - anything beyond the obvious ones had availability issues (wiper rubber et al). And last but not the least, the cost of spares. Having experienced how well priced Toyota spares are compared to Honda, I , for one , doubt I will ever go back to that brand.
Old 27th February 2013, 13:32   #58
BHPian

This is sad news. I always loved the Jazz. It was great VFM especially after the price correction. Add to that it was the most practical hatch too.
Hope Honda brings it back soon and also provide more engine options like the i20.
Old 27th February 2013, 14:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

The jazz was a very good but a very overpriced car. I think the fate of the car was sealed finally on the day they decided to offer 1.5L discount sometime a year and a half back. I feel that move to drop the prices suddenly and without notification, created a lot of 'bad vibes', about Honda and the Jazz, in the minds of existing customers, and also those who had booked the car already; and felt cheated out of a 1L rupees.

The silver lining is that Jazz will be available for good discounted prices either in the second hand car market or leftover stocks with the dealers.
Old 1st March 2013, 11:38   #60
BHPian

Brilliant car; undone by a pricing disaster and lacklusture marketing.

Rather than buying the "hottest selling" hatch or a sub-4 "sedan" I would anyday prefer a truely premium hatchback.

That said; honda should have continued it for atleast 5-6 years even if the numbers do not add up; so current owners have a sense of security about spares/resale. They are doing an GM (Opel) here. May lose the trust of the discrete customers.

Look at Hyundai/Maruti. Even decade old models and other average cars are still in the portfolio to assure the buyers. Important if you want a good customer base in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks