Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2014, 18:25   #181
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.

Pricing is indeed on the higher side, but what is more appalling is the way they have skimped on safety features in the 2WD models - all they have provided are two airbags + ABS, and it still cost 26-27 lakhs ex-showroom!

I guess this is where the big European brands show their class - A BMW or a Merc may skip on fancy/comfort features in their entry level models, but safety features provided will be standard across the range. Example, a BMW X1 may miss out on Corona rings and iDrive but gets the same safety kit as in the higher variants. Whereas in the new Santa FE, all fancy/comfort features are standard across the range (be it ACC, leather seats, rain sensing wipers, and even 18" alloys!) but safety is exclusive for top variant.

Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.-santa-fe-safety.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th February 2014 at 18:26. Reason: snapshot added
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 18:35   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I wouldn't comment on dynamics and refinement until I read the official tbhp review.

Hyundai cars aren't exactly the flag bearers for dynamics.
I agree and +1 . Before writing off new Santa Fe due to its price and lack of some features, I would like to wait for official TBHP review. Considering Delhi prices announces , in Mumbai it may cost 35 lakhs INR considering octroi, a bit higher ex-showroom price, registration and insurance for a 4wd AT version. Mumbai dealers have not yet received final Mumbai pricing .
Likelihood of standard 4 year warranty - 1 lakh kms, is still hoped for . On enquiry regarding FE claimed 24 kmpl in the slides shared earlier- the person who shared the presentation is still not accepting it as a typo and says that there is some ramp test where this was achieved but I was not interested in further irrelevant and immaterial debate. Not sure if the TBHPian who compared it with XUV 500 has checked it out yet. He will find XUV now all the more reasonable for sure with prices announced by Hyundai.
Old 5th February 2014, 19:58   #183
BHPian

re: Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.

Someone in the Marketing needs to get fired for this pricing. Perfect recipe for disaster. This is how brands get killed. One could understand a high price if Santa Fe was selling in large volumes for the current version and had a premium brand value like European Brands or at least like Japanese car makers.

But Hyundai pricing its SUV at 26+ and going till 29+ for ex-Showroom is not acceptable. No matter how good the car is. It makes perfect sense now for real users to buy the CRV Top Variant and pocket the difference to pay for fuel in the years to come.

What's the point of localisation if the benefit is not passed on to customers. You can launch at an inviting price and lure potential buyers in and then keep increasing the price as people take a liking to the car. But not the other way round. That's why Yeti failed and Santa Fe has itself has suffered the same fate with the last variant as well.
Old 5th February 2014, 21:08   #184
Senior - BHPian

I think the fortuner and other SUVs would win hands down. Ford could take this oppurtunity and launch a 7 seater EcoSport and even at 15 lacs ex showroom it would fly out. When hyundai can price Grand i10 or the xCent so well, why not the Santa Fe . They seem to be doing very well in the sub 10 lac segment but are a big disaster in the premium segment. When they cannot get the pricing right, even thinking of launching the Genesis is a waste of time.

It is a good product no doubt but Fortuner would be preffered anyday. The percentage of people who would buy a Santa Fe over Fortuner / Q3S / X1 / GLA SUV would be miniscule. Also - the third row seating is NOT as spacious as the fortuner in Santa Fe. Even if the long wheel base version was launched for 30 lacs, it still stood a fighting chance, since the US LWB version offers oodles of 3rd row and luggage space, comparable with the GMC Denali.

The strategy should be to slowly up the game like Mahindra. From thier 15 lac elantra, they have jumped straight away into the 30 lac territory with Santa Fe. Mahindra launches new models which are a few lacs costlier than the existing models Bolero --> Scorpio --> XUV --> Rexton -->

Expect to see discounts on the Santa Fe from as early as three months from launch. It sure is a sales dud at this price. Hyundai - match the price and you will out-sell the fortuner.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 5th February 2014 at 21:13.
Old 7th February 2014, 09:22   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

The Santa Fe looks good no doubt. But the pricing and the variant specs just don't make sense. Looks like Hyundai wants to milk the Indian market's love for SUVs. Given that this new model is going to be assembled in India, I think there is no justification for the pricing. All the safety features advertised are just available on the 4WD AT, while the 2WD variants get nothing!!

I was really looking forward to the Santa Fe, but the pricing and variant positioning is extremely disappointing.

Most international reviewers have a lot to praise about the new Santa Fe. Typical of all Hyundais, the steering is supposed to a weak area and is completely devoid of feedback. Supposedly the flex steering system hardly makes a difference and is more gimmicky than of any real value.

No Sunroof, no big screen HU with navigation, no front parking sensors and lack of safety features in the 2WD variants, at this kind of price gets a big thumbs down from me.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 10:02   #186
BHPian

Well, I was pretty close to being a customer of the new Santa Fe as I am in the market for a seven seater auto and even cancelled my Rexton booking in anticipation of the Santa Fe but with this pricing seems like the only option now is to either hope that the Aria automatic variant has some of the great work Tata has done on their other cars shown in the expo or go back to the Rexton..
Old 7th February 2014, 11:01   #187
BHPian

Re: Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.

I signed up for a TD online and got a call back. Still no TD available in Bangalore, the dealer's representative told me that they have a car on display and I can check it out. I told him to call me back when they can give me a TD.

The pricing has been a let down....wasn't expecting such big difference over the Fortuner. I will wait for a few months and see how much discount they offer on the 4WD Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusboy View Post
The dealers in Bangalore don't seem to have any TD cars available and when I reached out to our leasing company they told us that "The new Hyundai Santa-Fe will be launched at Auto Expo 2014" and only then a TD car might be available.

Was wondering if anyone has had any different experience with Hyundai dealers.
Old 7th February 2014, 16:28   #188
BHPian

Re: Scoop! 3rd-Gen Hyundai Santa Fe spotted testing in India. EDIT: Now launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusboy View Post
I signed up for a TD online and got a call back. Still no TD available in Bangalore, the dealer's representative told me that they have a car on display and I can check it out. I told him to call me back when they can give me a TD.

The pricing has been a let down....wasn't expecting such big difference over the Fortuner. I will wait for a few months and see how much discount they offer on the 4WD Auto.
+1 to this. I will also wait if they start offering 3 lakhs discount on the Top end which is every likely as it wont sell at that price point. Or I may go for the facelifted Yeti as I don''t really need a 7 seater
Old 7th February 2014, 17:12   #189
BHPian

I thought Hyundai's marketing department would have got some sense after the Sonata pricing fiasco. Once it was rejected by everyone, Hyundai couldn't sell them even after slashing the price to 18 lacs. The Santa Fe is going to meet the same fate. Infact I don't see how they could price it above the Fortuner - anyone would have more sense than that. Stupid stupid move Hyundai.
Old 7th February 2014, 17:57   #190
BHPian

I do understand that the price is a little bit higher but why is everyone. comparing it with fortuner?
The Santafe is not in fortuner class.
I don't understand the how santafe can be compared to fortuner in any way..
I have used both santafe and fortuner and there is no comparison at all
praveen_n is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 19:15   #191
BHPian

Got a chance to touch feel the car yesterday. The test drives in my city would start about a fortnight later. To sum up I liked what I saw from the perspective of an existing Santa Fe owner. The plastics are soft at frequent touch points, seats are better and more comfortable all around. The switches etc have more tactile feel. In general one can feel the effort hyundai has done to make the car more premium though still it has some way to go to match the Germans. To all those comparing it with Fortuner - folks with all due respect this car belongs in a different class. Have a test drive and decide by yourself. It looks much better in person than in the pictures.

If the dynamics and ride are improved compared to the last gen Santa Fe *and* I'm able to get a reasonable resale I have no issues in booking this car at current prices. Though I expect a discount of upto 1.5 Lakhs by the end of this year.
Old 7th February 2014, 19:48   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Got a chance to touch feel the car yesterday. The test drives in my city would start about a fortnight later. To sum up I liked what I saw from the perspective of an existing Santa Fe owner. The plastics are soft at frequent touch points, seats are better and more comfortable all around. The switches etc have more tactile feel. In general one can feel the effort hyundai has done to make the car more premium though still it has some way to go to match the Germans. To all those comparing it with Fortuner - folks with all due respect this car belongs in a different class. Have a test drive and decide by yourself. It looks much better in person than in the pictures.
If the dynamics and ride are improved compared to the last gen Santa Fe *and* I'm able to get a reasonable resale I have no issues in booking this car at current prices. Though I expect a discount of upto 1.5 Lakhs by the end of this year.
It is indeed a premium car, and as you mentioned the whole interior ambience is excellent and has a very European feel to it. And yes, other than being an SUV, there is nothing much common with the likes of Fortuner. But it’s quite awful that except for the top variant, they have gone pretty skinny on safety. A case in reference is the Honda CRV. All 4 variants have ESP, airbags all-around etc. as standard.

Which variant you have booked (or going to book)?
Old 7th February 2014, 22:24   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
But it’s quite awful that except for the top variant, they have gone pretty skinny on safety. A case in reference is the Honda CRV. All 4 variants have ESP, airbags all-around etc. as standard.

Which variant you have booked (or going to book)?
Fully agree on the safety part. This is something that Hyundai got totally wrong in my opinion. For me as I mentioned earlier in my posts - the lower two versions don't make much sense. In fact a safe 7 seater was the sole reason that I chose Santa Fe to replace my earlier Innova (despite being compelled by the value of Fortuner). This time too it is a no brainer to go for the 4wd AT that has almost everything that makes it a 5 star NCAP car.
entropy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 14:45   #194
BHPian

Folks!! Had a look at the car at local South Delhi dealership. First impression of 4WD AT:
Looks: Its a stunner
Interiors: Awesome, the speedo and cluster looks out of the world.
Dash and other bells and whistles: Excellent quality. Fit and finish very nice.
Rear seat: Very comfortable.
Third Row: Practically non-existent. No leg room even for a short person.

Price 4WD AT on road: Rs 33.91 L in Delhi.

Hyundai: Why did you price it so high??. Could have been a hot seller!!

The test drive car likely in 4-5 days
Hiteshs77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 14:25   #195
Senior - BHPian

Link to ACI review of the Santa Fe:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-372079,0.aspx
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks