Local workshop 7 24.14%
Known/experienced mechanic at home 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th June 2019, 15:15   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Authorised Service Centre or Independent Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
that's awesome. I cannot dream of this happening in Mumbai for a 15 year old car I'm sure the SC would try to convince me to upgrade and sell the old one
They tried to subtly hint at this, and I promptly asked about servicing costs etc for the Grand i10 and the Elite i20, since dad's been hinting towards getting the latter home, soon.

Quote:
The tendancy to try and do unnecessary repairs or replacements is very high with the VW workshop in Mumbai, whatever makes a minimum 5-figure invoice should be done!
I'm guessing he took pity on my nervous "college student with pocket money" face, since I literally had to ask the SA how much labour charge I'd have to pay for each job. I had heard of ASCs racking up huge bills, and I didn't want to exhaust all my money and then call dad up to come bail me out

The people there were nice, and when I asked them the price for some parts and realized the price was cheaper outside, they told me they have no problem if I procure the parts from outside and get it fitted by them. Like I said, it was a pretty good experience, and completely shattered the image of ASCs I had in my head.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:38   #137
BHPian

I am still so torn about this. I am not too sure if taking the vehicle to independent garages is viable on the long run. There are some garages that work out to be more expensive than authorized service centers. For example, I've noticed that in many garages, the cost of labor might be cheaper, but they charge a pretty penny for consumables - and a classic example of this is Ignite on the ECR. My father prefers to take his car to independent garages to save some money, but he has to keep going back many times to get the same issue fixed. And there are many times especially for big jobs where he gets a quote and sends the car in, the car is repaired and delivered and very soon and the guys the independent garages say "oh that's unrelated to what we have just done" and proceed to carry forth an entire set of "new" repairs. I've also noticed for sure that spares procured from local avenues, be it branded items such as Bosch do not last as long as OEM. But that said, there are quite a few cases when the local garage seems to match the service in Authorized centers at a much cheaper cost.

I personally prefer Authorized centers - especially if you develop a relationship with the people in it. I think that yes, you do spend more money, but there is more value in authorized centers in the long haul for the money spent - more bang for the buck!
thirdmainroad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 09:55   #138
Senior - BHPian

That is where Maruti scores. They have service centres at the dealer and have independent MASS (Maruti Authorized Service Centre). The latter are as good for most of the jobs and at times less expensive. They have trained engineers and Maruti audits them regularly. The Dealer Service Centre are normally much better for major repairs - Accident, Engine works etc, as they have larger infrastructure and volumes.
Old 31st December 2019, 12:30   #139
BHPian

Default Servicing of volkswagen polo in local workshop

Mod note: Post edited, please use proper punctuation instead of typing like this.... Thanks.

I have a query, I own a polo petrol 2014 model which has suffered some damage on engine connector, oil sump and bumper.

Authorized service centre is claiming over a lakh while a local workshop has given an estimate of 50000. He claims that he will use only original parts and I intend to get it done there. More so since the service centre is 60 odd kms away.

Anyone can advice me on this?

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st December 2019 at 13:51.
Old 31st December 2019, 13:53   #140
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Servicing of volkswagen polo in local workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunstabledesi View Post
He claims that he will use only original parts and I intend to get it done there.
As long as it is a good garage and they have access to OE parts, there is no harm in getting the job done. Especially if it is just a straight replacement of parts.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 13:59   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Servicing of volkswagen polo in local workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunstabledesi View Post
I have a query, I own a polo petrol 2014 model which has suffered some damage on engine connector, oil sump and bumper.
Authorized service centre is claiming over a lakh while a local workshop has given an estimate of 50000. He claims that he will use only original parts and I intend to get it done there. More so since the service centre is 60 odd kms away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
As long as it is a good garage and they have access to OE parts, there is no harm in getting the job done. Especially if it is just a straight replacement of parts.
In fact - you might even want to check on boodmo.com for the specific items for pricing check. If you know enough details (like the actual part like oil sump, any sealing gaskets & nut-bolts) - you can even buy it from boodmo. You'll get the parts home delivered at good prices. Genuine spares. And you can then ask the garage to install them by charging you for labour service.

Browse through the OEM catalogue on boodmo.com to get an idea.

The ASC (of any brand) generally pounces on such opportunities to try & change as many parts in the engine bay as possible. Couple that with the high labour charges & the estimate easily touches a hundred grand.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 14:40   #142
BHPian

Thanks a lot. And apologies for the wrong punctuation. So will take it to the local workshop.
Old 31st December 2019, 15:38   #143
BANNED

Guys any good Hydunai ASS in east delhi and noida for service.
Old 25th October 2020, 08:52   #144
Senior - BHPian

A basic question guys:

I have never bought a brand new car so not sure about how this works.

Once a new car is bought, do you have to give to the same dealers service center for the first few service or can it be given to a different dealers service center. Say I have a dealer X's sales near my house but his service center is far away. And a dealer Y's sales is far away but his service center is next to my house. Can I buy the car from X and start giving (even the first service) at Y. Will Y entertain this since it was not bought from their sales?
Old 25th October 2020, 10:09   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
A basic question guys:

Once a new car is bought, do you have to give to the same dealers service center for the first few service or can it be given to a different dealers service center. Say I have a dealer X's sales near my house but his service center is far away. And a dealer Y's sales is far away but his service center is next to my house. Can I buy the car from X and start giving (even the first service) at Y. Will Y entertain this since it was not bought from their sales?
You can give it at any authorised service center of the manufacturer, irrespective of where you purchased from.

I purchased at dealer A as I got the best offer and am getting it serviced at dealer B as their customer service is exemplary.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 10:35   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
A basic question guys:

Free service can be availed at any authorised dealer service workshop.

In my over 30 years of Maruti ownership, I have never visited the dealer's workshop I bought the car from. With Maruti you have 3 levels of authorised service centres starting with dealer down to independent authorised service centres in petrol pumps. I prefer petrol pumps as I can be present throughout and monitor the work.

All Authorised Maruti Service Centres have factory trained staff and a couple of experts with Maruti Trained Managers. They are connected to Maruti central database so your full service history is available to them. They have regular inspections and QA checks.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 10:43   #147
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Once the car is out of warranty a known good mechanic is preferable especially for common vehicles with spares which are freely and of good quality available in the market. It will always work out cheaper provided genuine spares are used.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 18:43   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Choice of service and repairs is OK either with a dealer or a company authorised workshop/ service centre during the warranty period. The owner needs to enquire about a good and reliable outlet, be it any of these two. This is very necessary during the warranty period just to keep it valid. In some cases, they just wash the vehicle and hand it back, after it is kept for a full day or more. The free service coupon is taken and attendance is marked. It is just like a student's classes. Even if the teacher is not good, he or she must attend to record the attendance.

After the expiry of warranty, if there are below average dealer or authorised service centre in the vicinity who cater to our needs, it is wiser to find a good and reliable independent garage. Many very good and competitive garages have mushroomed all over the country who do marvellous jobs at reasonable costs.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 12:54   #149
BHPian

Did a service for my i10 at Trident Kalyan Nagar Bangalore. Made them remove a lot of add-on jobs that were 'recommended' by an over eager SA.

Iam now desperate to find a trust worthy alternative garage in Bangalore East (Banaswadi / OMBR/ HRBR/ RamamurthyNagar areas) for future repair/service jobs that will not leave a big hole in my trousers.

Is Beneducato Multi Brand Car Service Centre in Ramamurthy Nagar any good? The place seems to be run by an ex-Hyundai person. There are some positive reviews online but more than a year old. Anyone used their services recently?

Last edited by WindRide : 26th November 2020 at 12:56.

Most Viewed