Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2006, 18:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Is there any way for checking genuiness for spare parts ?

Hello Bhpians ,
If any one is working in any of the manufacturing units , I need a help on a doubt . Is there any way to a check genuineness of a part ? I mean do the plant keep a record of each of the parts its made. I dont mean batch no, coz any senior level person can easily manufacture the same component , I mean something like a code imprinted on the parts that can give us the exact time , and the plant in which its manufactured ? .
Old 13th May 2006, 19:10   #2
BHPian

@ Max, Mostly all reputed OEM spare manufactures do list their contact numbers, batch code,date and time of manufacturing..! Always check this out..Go for tried and trusted OEM brands..Don't think of Chineses or Taiwanese spares which many dealers are peddling due to high profit..!
Look for a Hologram, And if its a big item, you can even check the website of the manufacturer..!
Always Buy a spare on Bill - not on Kaccha Challan- This will cost you a little more but will make you assured..!
Old 13th May 2006, 20:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, ever spare part will have a code number which can be chacked up with the company itself.
Old 14th May 2006, 23:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
Yeah, ever spare part will have a code number which can be chacked up with the company itself.
Do not purchase any spares from the open market except from the Authorised Spare parts dealer. Even then you are not sure. Every part sold by the ASPD is warranted against manufacturing defects, so ensure the safety of the Invoice.

So long....
Old 15th May 2006, 13:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

I dont mean part code or batch no . coz both are not specific to each part . I mean count for every part manufactured. Now imitations can be either fabricated by external sources (with informations leaked out ) or a top level employee of a manufacturing firm
If a top level manager has access to fabrication and levels of checking genuiness he sure can start a manufacturing unit on his own . Now what I want to know is whether a Manufacturing Unit keeps specific count ie, This part is made on so and so date from so and so plant . This is just an example , .One of my friend who happens to be working in an insurance company told me that many a time dealers are themselves causing bad name for their own brand . For example, dented bumpers are refabricated and reused by dealers . I feel there should be a code for every component produced and this code should be included in the invoice along with the part no. That way atleast a customer can have an idea of the quality of spares used. Another personal experience ? ... I have been using Siena 1.7 from 2000 . The O.E wiper lasted 5 yrs without a problem , I used to oil condition the wipers now and then . Recently I changed my wipers at a Fiat outlet . Sadly they were of inferior quality , I mean at high speed they were hopless . I felt the old one was better , now I can never say that the wiper is duplicate coz it was packed in SYNDICATE genuine packing case and everthing seemed ok, but its quality of rubber somehow is too bad to be manufactured by a company who had supplied the same part as O.E fitment

Last edited by maxbhp : 15th May 2006 at 13:55.

Most Viewed