Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2013, 15:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market

Wonderful write up, Your love for the Estates oozes very clearly. Frankly, I never was fond of Estates, but your write up made me see them in new light.

Happy Motoring.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 17:05   #17
BHPian

You somehow seem to have the best of vehicles in your stable Allan.The review and the detailing is awesome.
cheers
Savio
chef-de-jeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 17:49   #18
BHPian

Fantastic, Detailed review of a lovely vehicle. Another lovely car that I almost bought used in 2008 was the Palio Adventure, but the daunting task of refurbishment, future spares gave me the jitters and I walked away. Still, not all is lost and I managed to buy another classic, the Fiesta 1.6S.
premjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 20:15   #19
BHPian

Awesome restoration v12! In the pictures if there weren't any Indian cars in the background, people will definitely think this car is somewhere in Europe!

PS: I love this car!
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 20:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
@V12 have you changed the wheels? In case you are yet to change them, can I request for the original hubcaps? My Baleno has lost one and am unable to source it from anywhere. From your post too it seems you ahve 2 missing ones but since you would be changing the wheels can I have the remaining two?
I faced same issue couple of month ago (Baleno 2006 Vxi BS-III), one of the wheel cap got misplaced. Though I had to wait almost 79 days, Bimal, a Suzuki dealer in Bangalore managed to get original from plant. But I had to buy full set and unfortunately old one I forgot to pick from workshop.

If you are struggling to get at your place, please do let me know, I can try with Bimal again, of course no forecast on lead-time
sujithpnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 21:03   #21
Team-BHP Support

Lovely one Allen. This is surely one clean shape I always liked.

Only two points here. Original tyre (175, no?) looks skinny on that size and minimum 185 should complete the stance. Next is the choice of alloy. Not this and not a flashy one. Something which goes with this simple clean shape.

On the other hand I know you won't do all these also.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 21:40   #22
BHPian

Wordless to express the gratitude for restoring a Baleno vehicle (don’t care whether it is Altura or Sedan, after all it is Baleno!) and more, writing a very fascinating thread.
Completely agree with you on the quality of materials used in the car, presently in the name of value engineering (VE) everybody looks for cheap (read this as cheap quality and not cost effective) materials. In past cutting equipment or making optional was the main strategy in VE projects, but somehow the definition got replaced with usage of cheap material. Automobiles manufacturers are expected to retain the same price brackets or a segment, so no wonder why they are in search of cheap options, ensuring decent profit margins.
Looking forward to read the details promised.
sujithpnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 23:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithpnair View Post
I faced same issue couple of month ago (Baleno 2006 Vxi BS-III), one of the wheel cap got misplaced. Though I had to wait almost 79 days, Bimal, a Suzuki dealer in Bangalore managed to get original from plant. But I had to buy full set and unfortunately old one I forgot to pick from workshop.

If you are struggling to get at your place, please do let me know, I can try with Bimal again, of course no forecast on lead-time
Thanks mate. How much did the entire set cost you? Don't mind waiting.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 23:58   #24
BHPian

Very good writeup and awesome pictures. This shows how much you love cars, estates in particular.

You have done a good job on the car.

Congratulations.
byomjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 07:43   #25
BHPian

Nice restoration project ,looks as good as new .Brings back real good memories and thanks V12 for that.
Just sold my 2001 White altura last week after doing a memorable 161000 kms in it . Immaculate vehicle to do long distance journeys in.
abhijit 2284 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 08:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate. How much did the entire set cost you? Don't mind waiting.
INR.1000/- + tax for set of 4.
They have charged printed price, no discount.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Awesome restoration.I wouldn't be surprised with high prices of the spares as every part was Made In Japan).The tail lights were made by Stanley,hence it was expensive.If maruti had localized the parts it would have been a very good vfm sedan/estate.I always loved the estates.In my childhood days when we were in Muscat we had a Mazda 626 Station wagon.Below is the pic (borrowed from the internet).It had a 2L, 100HP, DOHC, petrol engine.It used to perform decently.The plus point was the oodles of space it offered.It easily gobbled up a 1 tonner ACs and a 21" tv when were getting relocated.My dad had covered close to 4 lac km in 3 years without any engine rebuild with one clutch replacement
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-11.jpg  

Last edited by rakesh_r : 17th April 2013 at 09:57.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:17   #28
BHPian

Nice thread. Estates, somehow have never done well in India because of poor positioning. I also have an Altura in my neighborhood. The rear looks quite good compared to the normal sedan.
Nice writing style and snaps. Wishing you loads of happy miles with the car.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:36   #29
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Fantastic thread V12, the length you have gone to to put those comparisons, images and those old brochures is commendable. I for one loved the Baleno's rear, in fact i loved the overall wedge shaped design. Thats a very slick Altura you have there though. All the best with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
Fantastic write up V12. It just shows how much the car means to you and your family. Baleno was probably the only luxury maruti at that time and some how did not click. I am eagerly looking forward to your comparison with the baleno.
Thanks balenopower and swami. Yes, although the Baleno was a powerful and loaded car - it did not do well in the market. The only expensive Maruti did that actually did well in the market was the SX4. The Baleno was too bland compared to the Lancer and the Astra and equally expensive.

Quote:
@V12 have you changed the wheels? In case you are yet to change them, can I request for the original hubcaps? My Baleno has lost one and am unable to source it from anywhere. From your post too it seems you ahve 2 missing ones but since you would be changing the wheels can I have the remaining two?
Hi wondernomad,
No, the wheels were standard with the car. We are planning to only change the tyres as of now. The hubcaps are not available anywhere - but will get in touch with sujith if I am not able to source them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
One word buddy, wonderful!! I always liked the looks of the car and as rightly said, looks much better than the Baleno!

Loved the write up mate, just beautiful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Thanks for this super review for one of the most beautiful cars from the Maruti Stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Wonderful write up, Your love for the Estates oozes very clearly. Frankly, I never was fond of Estates, but your write up made me see them in new light.

Happy Motoring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-de-jeep View Post
You somehow seem to have the best of vehicles in your stable Allan.The review and the detailing is awesome.
cheers
Savio
Quote:
Originally Posted by byomjeet View Post
Very good writeup and awesome pictures. This shows how much you love cars, estates in particular.

You have done a good job on the car.

Congratulations.

Thanks vinair, Imran, mac, chef, byomjeet! The only vehicle I am missing in this stable is our Toyota Qualis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Mr V12, You never told me that your are penning this when we met over the weekend. Awesome review and loved your writing style. How much ever you say, i just cant take the Altura, i just dont like the station wagons, thats just me.

The car is definitely looking much brighter after the paint job and you should use the same colour on the Baleno as well. Regarding quality, no one beats the Japs, period.

Maybe when i go out on a short trip, you can lend me your CNG'd Altura and that 'might' change my opinion on station wagons.

P.S. Still waiting for the shootout and photo shoot that you promised me more than a year ago
The writeup was being written from the day the car was brought home. Regarding the photoshoot - yes definitely we should meet up one day. Probably we can have a meet of all the discontinued cars (Astra, Lancer, OHC, Baleno, Weekend etc etc). It will be like going back into the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premjit View Post
Fantastic, Detailed review of a lovely vehicle. Another lovely car that I almost bought used in 2008 was the Palio Adventure, but the daunting task of refurbishment, future spares gave me the jitters and I walked away. Still, not all is lost and I managed to buy another classic, the Fiesta 1.6S.
The Weekend Adventure also was a very good car. It looked macho with those wheelarches and high ground clearance and 15-in (or was it 16?) alloys. You are tight, spares for the Palio/Siena would have been an issue - but if the car did not have anything missing - it would have been a greadt buy.

Anyways with the Fiesta 1.6S, you would definitely not regretting the decision of letting the Adventure deal go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Awesome restoration v12! In the pictures if there weren't any Indian cars in the background, people will definitely think this car is somewhere in Europe!

PS: I love this car!
Thanks Eminen!

Quote:

Its good that they still have a stock of the wheelcaps still after discontinuing the car for almost 6 years. I hope they have stock of other essential parts as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Lovely one Allen. This is surely one clean shape I always liked.

Only two points here. Original tyre (175, no?) looks skinny on that size and minimum 185 should complete the stance. Next is the choice of alloy. Not this and not a flashy one. Something which goes with this simple clean shape.

On the other hand I know you won't do all these also.
Hey Rudra, the tyre replacement is definitely on the cards and yes it would 99% be the 185 size ones. The alloys also on this car are quite boring and we are looking for another design that was offered by Maruti (maybe an optional extra). This is the one on procircuits Altura :

Image source : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...no-altura.html

Quote:
Wordless to express the gratitude for restoring a Baleno vehicle (don’t care whether it is Altura or Sedan, after all it is Baleno!) and more, writing a very fascinating thread.
Completely agree with you on the quality of materials used in the car, presently in the name of value engineering (VE) everybody looks for cheap (read this as cheap quality and not cost effective) materials. In past cutting equipment or making optional was the main strategy in VE projects, but somehow the definition got replaced with usage of cheap material. Automobiles manufacturers are expected to retain the same price brackets or a segment, so no wonder why they are in search of cheap options, ensuring decent profit margins.
Looking forward to read the details promised.
Suhith - I couldnt have put the quality part in a better way. Yes, current cars all have sub-standard and cheap materials used. Its very evident in the dashboard plastic (you just have to knock it to feel the cheapness), the seats (they feel more a huge pillow than a sofa), the additional fittings, the floor mats etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
Nice restoration project ,looks as good as new .Brings back real good memories and thanks V12 for that.
Just sold my 2001 White altura last week after doing a memorable 161000 kms in it . Immaculate vehicle to do long distance journeys in.
Thanks abhijit, good to know you had an Altura too. Would appreciate if you could post some pics and a ownership review on it - there are hardly any on the forum. Long journeys would be awesome in the Altura, we are yet to take it outside Mumbai first

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Awesome restoration.I wouldn't be surprised with high prices of the spares as every part was Made In Japan).The tail lights were made by Stanley,hence it was expensive.If maruti had localized the parts it would have been a very good vfm sedan/estate.I always loved the estates.In my childhood days when we were in Muscat we had a Mazda 626 Station wagon.Below is the pic (borrowed from the internet).It had a 2L, 100HP, DOHC, petrol engine.It used to perform decently.The plus point was the oodles of space it offered.It easily gobbled up a 1 tonner ACs and a 21" tv when were getting relocated.My dad had covered close to 4 lac km in 3 years without any engine rebuild with one clutch replacement
Thanks Rakesh! I never knew that the 626 was available in Estate form. It looks damn good - all estate versions look better than their sedan counterpart. The latest example being the Jaguar XF Sportsbrake.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:41   #30
BHPian

Unfortunately i don't have many pics of it but will check the vault nonetheless. i will definitely post a review about my experiences in it .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks