Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 14:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market

I love Estates and the Altura is one to be cherished, a real beauty. And a wonderful paint job on that one too. Congrats V12, now your sedan will have some jealousy issues. Are you sure it has run only 25,000 kms ?

Since you said it had an yellow board, could have done a lot more which the previous owner may not be aware of. Anyway, terrific car and even better restoration job.
cheers
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 15:09   #32
kkg
BHPian

What timing mate. I am in desperate need of a station wagon for my wife. She needs to carry a lot of stuff and some racks for her stalls. But I am not been able to get any thing decent in my budget.

Although my first preference was Tata Indigo Marina but finally I am looking for Opel corsa Swing because of its size that would be easier to drive and handle for my wife. Your Baleno Altura looks lovely and desirable but I don't think I would get anything remotely close to it in my budget and in Delhi.

If you don't mind sharing the price you paid for it, I can get the idea for my scouting as market in Mumbai and Delhi for such vehicles is more or less the same.
kkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 19:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Its good that they still have a stock of the wheelcaps still after discontinuing the car for almost 6 years. I hope they have stock of other essential parts as well.
Any manufacturer is bound to supply spares for a minimum period of 10 years after pulling the model from market - If I am not wrong the clause is available in Indian Type Approval document (kind request any personnel works with TA procedures to correct if the statement is not true). So though there will be scarcity, parts will be available at least during the said period.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd April 2013 at 08:50. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 17th April 2013, 21:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithpnair View Post
Any manufacturer is bound to supply spares for a minimum period of 10 years after pulling the model from market - If I am not wrong the clause is available in Indian Type Approval document (kind request any personnel works with TA procedures to correct if the statement is not true). So though there will be scarcity, parts will be available at least during the said period.
You are right but it relates to critical components mostly and do not cover the wear and tear cosmetics. They become scarce after some time and the best bet is to look in scrap yards. Suppose you needed suspension, engine, body panels etc you would get them no doubt but try sourcing slow moving or small components that are indigenous to the car, there you have the problem. Mate can you order a set. Money is to be paid up front or once they ahve sourced them? Let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd April 2013 at 08:50. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 21:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Mate can you order a set. Money is to be paid up front or once they ahve sourced them? Let me know. Thanks.
Sure, I can check with dealer and will let you know the status accordingly.
I had paid against delivery, no advance.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd April 2013 at 08:51. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
sujithpnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 13:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

Hey Rudra, the tyre replacement is definitely on the cards and yes it would 99% be the 185 size ones. The alloys also on this car are quite boring and we are looking for another design that was offered by Maruti (maybe an optional extra). This is the one on procircuits Altura :

Image source : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...no-altura.html

Hello v12

Beautiful car there. Hope you get all the parts needed to bring her back to showroom state.

See if this interests you:
http://bangalore.olx.in/baleno-stock...-iid-502037316

Regards
Viju
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 14:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
If you don't mind sharing the price you paid for it, I can get the idea for my scouting as market in Mumbai and Delhi for such vehicles is more or less the same.
It should be 2 Lakhs, upper limit. Station wagons though beautiful and rare, are hard to sell in the Indian market. An excellent example might set you back by another 10-25k, not more.
Old 18th April 2013, 15:35   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithpnair View Post
Sure, I can check with dealer and will let you know the status accordingly.
I had paid against delivery, no advance.
Hello,
Quick update: received call from dealer and confirmed order placement to factory.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd April 2013 at 08:52. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
sujithpnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 19:45   #39
BHPian

Excellent write up there V12.

Do you mind sharing the cost of the paint job? It has turned out to be really good.
Ph03nix is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 20:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post

Do you mind sharing the cost of the paint job? It has turned out to be really good.
Its an overcoat if i am not mistaken as told by V12 and done at his Dad's Workshop

And yeah, it has turned out really well. I checked it out last weekend and it was glistening in the hot noon sun.

My estimate for the overcoat should be in the range of 12 - 15k.
Old 21st April 2013, 01:53   #41
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I love Estates and the Altura is one to be cherished, a real beauty. And a wonderful paint job on that one too. Congrats V12, now your sedan will have some jealousy issues. Are you sure it has run only 25,000 kms ?

Since you said it had an yellow board, could have done a lot more which the previous owner may not be aware of. Anyway, terrific car and even better restoration job.
cheers
Hey Esteem_lover, yes this is a genuine 25,000 car . Although the car was running on yellow plates, its only been run from the hotel to the airport - thats it - and only for a few years. The 2nd owner too hasnt driven the car much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
What timing mate. I am in desperate need of a station wagon for my wife. She needs to carry a lot of stuff and some racks for her stalls. But I am not been able to get any thing decent in my budget.

Although my first preference was Tata Indigo Marina but finally I am looking for Opel corsa Swing because of its size that would be easier to drive and handle for my wife. Your Baleno Altura looks lovely and desirable but I don't think I would get anything remotely close to it in my budget and in Delhi.

Estates flopped in India - so you should get a good one for not more than 2 lakhs. Its difficult to put a price to such cars now - reasons being (1) these cars because of their very low resale value have gained popularity in the 2nd hand car market. (2) its more feasible to buy flop cars - spend a few thousand bucks and do them up mechanically / cosmetically and then install CNG. You still get a premium car feel with small car price.

Getting an Estate may not be difficult - especially if its the Indigo Marina - since they sold more in numbers than the Altura, Swing and Weekend (remember they were also used by Meru Cabs). The Team-BHP classifieds does have the following estates for sale :

Fiat Weekend
Tata Indigo Marina
Opel Corsa Swing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hello v12

Beautiful car there. Hope you get all the parts needed to bring her back to showroom state.

See if this interests you:
http://bangalore.olx.in/baleno-stock...-iid-502037316

Regards
Viju
Thanks for the link Viju!! My brother will be calling him up to check only the wheels are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Its an overcoat if i am not mistaken as told by V12 and done at his Dad's Workshop

And yeah, it has turned out really well. I checked it out last weekend and it was glistening in the hot noon sun.

My estimate for the overcoat should be in the range of 12 - 15k.
Yes, this was just the overcoat since we did not want to change the original color. Given a choice of color - we would definitely have gone for a maroon color (like the one below).
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-suzuki_baleno_wagon_1_787.jpg

Hi Sujith / Wandernomad,

My brother checked with Vitesse (authorised dealer for Maruti) and they said that the original hub caps would cost approximately Rs 2500/- for the complete set. However it is not available and hence they would not be taking orders for it. So need to look out somewhere else - probably at some parts shop or Chor Bazaar / Kurla CST yard.
Old 21st April 2013, 17:58   #42
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

A picture comparision of the Altura next to the Baleno.

Walk upfront and look at both the cars - the Altura and Baleno look very much identical. The only thing that gives way is the roof rails on the Altura.
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-alturabaleno1.jpg

As you walk around the cars, you'll notice that both the cars are identical upto the rear door - thats where the similarity ends.
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-alturabaleno3.jpg

Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-alturabaleno4.jpg

Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-alturabaleno5.jpg

In whatever way or angle you look at it, the Baleno looks boxy and dated. All this primarily due to the non wrap around tail lights and the high boot. This is one of the reasons why the Baleno did not do well against its competitors. The Altura on the other hand looks extremely beautiful - you wouldnt be able to tell that this is actually based on the Baleno.
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-alturabaleno2.jpg

On the inside too, there is very little difference between the Altura and the Baleno.

One thing that is missed in the Baleno is the seat height adjustment option - which is available in the Altura. The Baleno, however, has a remote boot lever which is missing in the Altura. Both cars have a remote fuel opener.
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-alturabaleno8.jpg

The dashboard layout is the same - difference being that the Altura has a dual tone dashboard whereas the Baleno is just a single color. Personally I like the single color of the Baleno. If you also notice, the Altura has a demister switch (opposit the hazard swicth) whereas the same is a dummy switch in the Baleno.
Note : I believe dual colored dashboard and demister were standard feature in the Baleno Vxi.
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-alturabaleno7.jpg

Both the Altura and Baleno have these scrollers next to the Power Mirror button. Although they look very much identical - they both perform different functions. The one on the Altura is used to adjust the brightness of the speedo console whereas the one on the Baleno is used to adjust the headlight level.
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-alturabaleno6.jpg
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 23:25   #43
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally the Altura is part of Team-BHP!

Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-alturasticker1.jpg

Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-alturasticker2.jpg
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty sure yours must be the only family all of India, maybe even the world to own the Baleno Sedan AND the Estate at the same time. Unique !!
esteem_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 13:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I am pretty sure yours must be the only family all of India, maybe even the world to own the Baleno Sedan AND the Estate at the same time. Unique !!
John IIRC fellow member shrivz also had both the Altura and the Sedan with him.
rjstyles69 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed