Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 01:17   #61
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market

Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura8.jpg

So its been almost a year and a half with the Altura and the experience has been amazing. One great experience is the fact that you are driving a unique car and that too from a unique segment - that no longer exists. You can be sure that you are not driving a common or just another Maruti Suzuki or even another Baleno. You get a smile on your face when you see a similar car and you will want to take pics of it, or probably wave out to the person driving it.
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura12.jpg Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura11.jpg Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura10.jpg Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura9.jpg

Another experience is the fact that you have a car from the late 90's / early 2000's where cars from this segment had excellent quality parts.
Take for example the ORVM's and the roof rails - they have not faded or lost their shine.
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura2.jpg Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura4.jpg

The chrome (or aluminium strip) borders around the windows. They have neither rusted nor have lost their shine or turned black.
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura3.jpg

The chrome on the grille - it still looks like new.
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura5.jpg

The interiors - even though outdated then - still reek of quality. No ill fittings or squeaks or rattle or whatsoever - no matter how the roads are.

As you may know, I wash my cars myself once in a month (shampoo, tyre foam, interior polish etc). Although today was just another day - it felt a bit different. Firstly I noticed the Got-BHP sticker had peeled out from the corner - so had to remove it off .Obviously nothing to do with the sticker quality - because the LTD and GB sticker on my other cars are still holding on. So am sure someone wanted to test their nails while standing against the car. After I wash my car, I always like to take pictures of it - just to tell myself I have done a great job. So here are some pics. The rear quarters of the car - maybe because of the way it swoops downwards - reminds me a lot of the american station wagons. And especially the Buick Roadmaster.
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura6.jpg Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura7.jpg Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura14.jpg

To continue with the differences between the Baleno and the Altura - a couple of weeks ago when my brother was driving to office, he noticed smoke coming from under the bonnet. It seems that the radiator was leaking. So we had to change it and its only then we realised that the radiator of the Baleno and the Altura are different. The Altura's is a good 6 inch widter than the Baleno's and also costs more than twice that of the Baleno's. What could be the reason for this? Is it because the Altura is heavier than the Baleno and thats why the engine require more cooling?
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura1.jpg
v12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 01:47   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
So its been almost a year and a half with the Altura and the experience has been amazing. One great experience is the fact that you are driving a unique car and that too from a unique segment - that no longer exists. You can be sure that you are not driving a common or just another Maruti Suzuki or even another Baleno.
Definitely a unique car. Infact, I don't remember the last time I saw an Altura. It was long back. Get to see Balenos quite often but the Altura is very very rare.

You have kept it in great condition I must say. A few interior pics please. Planning to keep it for how long?

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 20th October 2014 at 01:48.
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 02:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

Another experience is the fact that you have a car from the late 90's / early 2000's where cars from this segment had excellent quality parts.
Take for example the ORVM's and the roof rails - they have not faded or lost their shine.
Attachment 1300603 Attachment 1300605
I have to agree with you the early/late 90 cars were superbly build. Older Marutis are much better build than todays tin cans. No one builds cars like the Japs!
The plastic parts is a perfect example. Figo/Polo owners complain about plastic parts fading out or greying. I never saw or even heard about such issues in the older cars.
Even the Dashboard feels so premium for a car of this age. Todays cars have hard cheap plastic interiors.

Are you sure the Radiator is bigger? It can not be because of the weight. The Altura is only 25-35 Kgs heavier. Did the M.a.s.s tell you that the radiator is different?
Or could it be that the previous owner swapped the original radiator ?
The Radiator part number for the altura is 17700-63G00
Size: 350 X 602 X32 mm
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 03:48   #64
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I have to agree with you the early/late 90 cars were superbly build. Older Marutis are much better build than todays tin cans. No one builds cars like the Japs!
The plastic parts is a perfect example. Figo/Polo owners complain about plastic parts fading out or greying. I never saw or even heard about such issues in the older cars.
Even the Dashboard feels so premium for a car of this age. Todays cars have hard cheap plastic interiors.

Are you sure the Radiator is bigger? It can not be because of the weight. The Altura is only 25-35 Kgs heavier. Did the M.a.s.s tell you that the radiator is different?
Or could it be that the previous owner swapped the original radiator ?
The Radiator part number for the altura is 17700-63G00
Size: 350 X 602 X32 mm
Thats what my dad noticed when he changed to a new radiator. Yes, it could be that the original radiator was swapped for a bigger one by the previous owner. Will find out more and let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Definitely a unique car. Infact, I don't remember the last time I saw an Altura. It was long back. Get to see Balenos quite often but the Altura is very very rare.

You have kept it in great condition I must say. A few interior pics please. Planning to keep it for how long?

-Bhargav
Thanks Octane Power!

The Altura has done only 35000 kms till date and has many more kms and years to go before we even think of selling it. At one point we did decide to upgrade to a Toyota Corolla. But then it was tough deciding whether to sell the Baleno or the Altura. Didnt want to sell the Baleno because it was doing good and there were no problems. Didnt want to sell the Altura for the single reason that it was a rare car. So we ditched the idea of a Corolla and the Baleno brothers stay together.

It is indeed rare to see an Altura on the road. Seeing 2 is rarer. And Seeing 2 together is rarest
Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-img_20141021_182228-2.jpg
v12 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 16:51   #65
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Another rare spotting - this time with a silver Altura with 5-spoke wheels.

Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-altura.jpg
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 03:11   #66
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Baleno Altura & the Indian "Real Estate" Market-img_20140907_214857.jpg

"All Good Things Come to an End".

Never once thought I would have to say this on the Altura thread. With a heavy heart, I hate to inform you that the Altura has been sold. The good part is that it's been sold to a building friend - so I won't miss seeing it.

Anyways the main reason why we sold the Altura was its low ground clearance. The Baleno / Altura was being mostly used by my dad and getting in and out of the car was a big pain for my parents. We decided on selling one of the Baleno's and replacing it with a higher (ground clearance...not segment) one. Options we had in mind were a Santro Xing or a Wagon R or an I10. The biggest dilemma was not the replacement car....it was on deciding which car to sell. The Altura was a unique car...something that's very rare to spot on today's roads. The Baleno sedan on the other hand was a later model (2006) and more pampered than the Altura. After a lot of discussion, we finally decided that the Altura had to go. And just when I was about to put an ad for it, the replacement car landed in my dad's hand. More on the replacement car on a new thread. It's quite an exciting car, very popular in the international market, reliable and powerful. I don't need to say much ... The car will speak for itself in a new thread.

For now its Goodbye Altura. Thank you for being with us through 2.5 years and 20,000 kms of our life. We will definitely miss you.

Thank you guys for all your posts on this thread. See you soon on another thread - My Pre-Worshipped ______"

A clue?
History repeats itself!
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed