Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 11:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet cuts Sail U-VA price by Rs. 25,000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That's the same case with rest of the hatch-sedan siblings too. Some variants has difference of 1.3L ex showroom itself. People who think they need the status or the practicality of a boot don't mind paying extra for that.
I see your point but take the case of Vento-Polo or Swift-DZire, there is a deliberate attempt to make the sedan look premium/different. In the case of SAIL twins, there seems none!

And maybe Chevy isn't in a position to command so much premium given the tepid sales. But you are probably right since the sedan, though expensive compared to hatch, seems to be selling way more.
Old 7th March 2013, 12:17   #32
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Good but too late:

Typical mistake:
Price High Earlier and then Drop Prices (offically or via discounts at the dealer end) significantly later after the product is already declared a Dud by the market:

Aria,
Jazz,
UVA Sail,
Fiesta,
Kizashi
Referring to the current gen models for all above.

The Nissan & Renault Sedans and Hatchbacks (especially from Renault) are also sure to soon have to resort to agressive price drops to get moving but it may be too late. We could add Sonata to the list but the there are those who will maintain it is due to the absence of a petrol but then The Hond Accord does sell ok for the segment (yes lower than earlier and it too has a big discount available right now.)

In contrast The XUV & Duster were priced better earlier and then have now increased prices with no impact on sales. Getting mind share and numbers on the ground first is more important that upfront sales.

Last edited by ACM : 7th March 2013 at 12:20.
Old 7th March 2013, 13:57   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I see your point but take the case of Vento-Polo or Swift-DZire, there is a deliberate attempt to make the sedan look premium/different. In the case of SAIL twins, there seems none!
Though I would feel better if I need to pay a 1L difference for a proper sedan over it's hatch, I would NOT be happy to pay a 1L difference for a Dzire over Swift since even the sedan is under 4m!

Between, I can't recollect any features in a Vento / Dizre which would give a premium feel over the hatch version. Did you have anything specfic in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
..And maybe Chevy isn't in a position to command so much premium given the tepid sales. But you are probably right since the sedan, though expensive compared to hatch, seems to be selling way more.
Unlike Dzire, the Sail sedan is NOT a sub 4m. So to me, the design is better (than Dzire) and the space is much more at the rear & boot too. It does have a lot better appeal compared to the hatch version.
Old 7th March 2013, 14:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Is this a case of monkey see, monkey do. Tata slashed prices recently too.

Or is this a strategy. Price high and if sales are weak, reduce prices. Such a bad strategy if so. No vehicle has done well with that.

Looking at the sail it is not value which is missing. First problem is the image Opel/chevy have in the market. Expensive spares and not very fuel efficient. Then comes the fact that the sail is not well advertised and does not seem to have any USP which would make it stand out from the crowd. The sail is not good looking, has no aspirational or trust worthy brand name (trinity aspirational, Honda Toyota reliable), does not seem like value for money and has a slim A$$ network. Why would anyone buy such a car when there are various other options in the market
Old 7th March 2013, 22:32   #35
BHPian

Have a look at the following case study by ICMR.

This five page case draws a clear picture on Daewoo Cielo's fall in India - mainly because of their overambitious pricing and promotional strategies.

http://www.icmrindia.org/free%20reso...20Trouble1.htm

Is GM, the long time partner of Daewoo is committing similar mistakes?

Last edited by sunil8089 : 7th March 2013 at 22:35.
Old 13th March 2013, 20:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Now, there is a talk about introducing a lower base diesel version too, specifically intended to undercut the Swift.

This base Sail U-VA diesel would cost Rs. 5.29 lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi) which undercuts Swift LDI’s price of Rs. 5.58 lakhs.
Old 14th March 2013, 12:31   #37
Max
BHPian

Chevrolet needs new dealers

Major problem with Chevrolet cars in Thane is its dealer S C AUTO. These people are professional jerks. I have been to this showroom 2-3 times in last 2-3 years and every time I visit there, I get the feeling showroom is very dirty, staff is just sitting their for salary and nobody seems to have any interest in selling cars. Show room is always very dirty and feels like wear house.

Last month, I registered for test drive for beat on Chevrolet web site. To my surprise nobody called me for 7 days. Seeing this I called SC Auto in thane and spoke to sales person. He told me to drive down to their show room for test drive.

When I arrived there, nobody attended me at showroom. It was like a exhibition hall. You have to see cars yourself. However, after a call from inside the showroom, same sales guy appeared and he took me out for test drive. To my surprise, there was no test drive car available. I asked him, why did he called me to showroom when no test drive car is available? He told me that he have another car available for test drive which usually transport goods between their showrooms in different city.

To my surprise, he gave me faulty car for test drive. The car was having very low pickup in 2nd and 3rd gear. When I told salesman why there is no pickup, he told me car engine may be cold due to sitting their since yesterday. It will pickup when engine gets hot. I told him the car seems to be having problems and we should turn back but he insisted that we should continue and complete the test drive. In reality this car was having problems with disk brakes. It got so hot during the test drive, fog started coming out from the tires. I stopped the car on road side and we all got out from the car due to the fear of car catching fire. I and my wife got so scared, we abandoned the test drive right there and flew from there. My wife is still so scared from the chevy name, she says, she will never sit in chevy car from the fear of fire! Till today, I get the feeling, there was some kind of plot to frame me into paying for disk break or something?

There is also an thread open in dealers section about how they burned customers cruze car which came for service! Wow! I mean, I really don't have any words for that. Its enough reason for me to stay away from Chevrolet brand. I guess Americans don't understand that Indians are not only value buyers but also very cautious people. If you don't treat them well they will abandoned your product without second thinking. McDonald and domino's pizza is the perfect example of success they should really learn from them.

I may consider Chevrolet when they have another dealer in thane.

Last edited by Max : 14th March 2013 at 12:40.
Old 14th March 2013, 12:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

This article describes GM India in a precise way:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/18961932.cms
Old 14th March 2013, 12:41   #39
BHPian

Good move by Chevrolet! More so, their base variant also has front power windows and rear seat split, while Swift LDI is bare bone with just a power window and AC, still costing higher.

Though I am not sure if this will pull in the required numbers. I have observed that if the car's outline is catchy, it clicks in sales even if it has some drawbacks, while if looks are drab, howsoever good package it may be, it struggles to sell in decent numbers. I still see discounts being offered soon, despite the price cuts and may be then people will see some value with diesel base variant at around Rs 5 lacs.
Old 14th March 2013, 16:40   #40
BANNED

My BIL has booked the Sail Hatchback LS ABS in grey for 7.1lakhs on-road Mumbai.

Car is ready for delivery by this weekend. The dealer says had he wait for a week more the prices are being slashed by 26%. This slash is because of low car sales. This is what the Sales Executive told. Since my BIL booked the car one week back he will not be getting the price cut.

Anurag.
Old 14th March 2013, 17:12   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My BIL has booked the Sail Hatchback LS ABS in grey for 7.1lakhs on-road Mumbai.

Car is ready for delivery by this weekend. The dealer says had he wait for a week more the prices are being slashed by 26%. This slash is because of low car sales. This is what the Sales Executive told. Since my BIL booked the car one week back he will not be getting the price cut.

Anurag.
Price paid is always as on the date of delivery and NOT booking. He is eligible.for the new price.
Old 14th March 2013, 18:00   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Good but too late:
Typical mistake:
Price High Earlier and then Drop Prices (offically or via discounts at the dealer end) significantly later after the product is already declared a Dud by the market:
Agreed, but doesn't it feel to silly that these manufacturers miss this? Are some of them really unable to price their cars lower at launch? It is acceptable in case of Sail UVA, as Chevy must have had hopes high, took it for granted that it would smash the market. But in the case of Aria, Fiesta, Kizashi, Jazz the manufacturers must have really took a second thought. They MUST have priced them lower as they are already in a low trade segment.
Old 14th March 2013, 21:51   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Price paid is always as on the date of delivery and NOT booking. He is eligible.for the new price.
+1.

Quote:

Car is ready for delivery by this weekend. The dealer says had he wait for a week more the prices are being slashed by 26%. This slash is because of low car sales. This is what the Sales Executive told. Since my BIL booked the car one week back he will not be getting the price cut...
Frankly, your BIL should get the new price. If they don't give him the new price, ask him to cancel his booking and move on to another dealership (if there is one in his city) and book one at the new price. This will scare them enough and he might even get something more as freebies.

If there is none, ask him to cancel, bear the 5K loss and book again with the same dealer and avail the new price.

Has some one got the mail ids of some GM senior management? My friend also is going thru some trouble with the dealership and wants to take it up with some one senior. Will appreciate if anyone could PM me with details.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th March 2013 at 21:54.
Old 15th March 2013, 01:32   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Has some one got the mail ids of some GM senior management? My friend also is going thru some trouble with the dealership and wants to take it up with some one senior. Will appreciate if anyone could PM me with details.
Yes guys what you have said is right. He will be buying the car at the discounted price. No worries though he is new to this world.

Since he has no idea I am the person who helps him out. Booking amount is 50000. He is from Mumbai (Bhandup).

Anurag.
Old 15th March 2013, 09:51   #45
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes guys what you have said is right. He will be buying the car at the discounted price. No worries though he is new to this world.

Since he has no idea I am the person who helps him out. Booking amount is 50000. He is from Mumbai (Bhandup).

Anurag.
Booking amounts are refundable, the cancellation penalty would not be more than Rs. 5K

He should get the new price. Show him this thread. Ask to speak to GM Sales representative.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks