Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 19:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rs 1.1 lakh premium for Swift D over Ritz D - Is it justified?

I completely disagree that the Swift has good interiors. We have a VDi and I think the interiors are just average and nothing more. Plastics and fabric used is just so-so.
Interior buttons, levers switches also look and feel very basic. Its just functional
Old 5th March 2013, 20:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

When we were looking out for a second car way back in 2010,me and my brother were sold out on Swift and my parents were also keen on it.Then we took our parents to showroom to take a look at it.After taking a look inside out of Swift,we saw this tall fellow standing in one corner,standing tall amongst all.So we all thought of checking it out.First glance was not that convincing with an odd ball rear end.Then we let our parents sit inside on front and rear seats and they were like- "This has so much more room and is much airy inside.No problem in getting in and out of car also." We brothers also took a while to look at other details and then it was decided then and there,THIS will be our new car.Swift was literally thrown out of our plan.And i must tell you,it was a great decision on our part.We took a Vxi without ABS(was not a serious TeamBHP fan at that time so a plain Vxi).As far as i remember,we did save over 50k compared to swift and after the discounts and all,it was much more.Its a great practical car with a commanding seating position.Ritz scores over so many practical aspects but then,how many people are buying for practical purposes?
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 22:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Ritz loses out on desirability factor bigtime compared with swift.

Interiors are let down in Ritz, while swift has the best interiors in hatchback segment IMO.
I beg to differ. How come the swift has the best interiors in the entire hatch back segment? We can't compare the interiors of the swift with that of i20 or the new Ford Figo or Chevy beat. Even the Hyundai eon has good interiors when compared with the swift. Its true that the interiors of the present generation swift have improved a lot than the previous version but IMHO its not the best. The swift feels premium but there are several other cars that feels more premium like the new VW polo or the Honda Jazz.
Old 6th March 2013, 01:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Interiors are let down in Ritz, while swift has the best interiors in hatchback segment IMO.
Disagree. Neither are interiors of Ritz VERY bad, nor are interiors of Swift VERY premium.
Case in point, compare Swift interior with i20 interior, which is priced around a lakh higher than Swift. I doubt you would find same margin of quality difference between Ritz and Swift.
Old 6th March 2013, 01:20   #35
A M
BHPian

If you can overlook the rear design (and the front grill in the new avatar IMO), Ritz is a far more practical family car. The rear seat is so much more usable, comfortable and less claustrophobic than the Swift. Higher seating gives better view of the road. You get the same mechanicals as the Swift at more than a lakh less. Handling though not at par with the Swift but its not all that bad. Absolute VFM I would say.

I agree that a swift commands higher resale but if you are someone who keeps his cars for more than 5 years, then resale value should not be a problem.

So if you are young and dynamic, go get a Swift

Nothing beats the G13B
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 07:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Ritz loses out on desirability factor bigtime compared with swift.

Swift being the bestseller, enjoys premium pricing as well.
Swift is a better handler and looker than RitZ, I am willing to pay premium price for these 2 features. Interiors are just average and nothing more. If you think swift has the best interior then please check a Hyundai car(EoN,i20,Verna).
limited-edition is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 09:13   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
So if you are young and dynamic, go get a Swift

Nothing beats the G13B
The G13B was replaced by the K-Series engine close to 3 years ago. We have a swift with the G13B esteem engine and it sure rocks.
Old 6th March 2013, 10:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited-edition View Post
If you think swift has the best interior then please check a Hyundai car(EoN,i20,Verna).
Eon and Verna cannot be compared with Swift ( different segments ).
i20 yes its good, but i like swifts interiors over i20, hence i had mentioned that it was IMO.
Old 6th March 2013, 10:55   #39
BHPian

Having both cars in the garage(albiet both are petrols), I can definitely say that Ritz is a far more VFM car vis a vis Swift. I saved around 70-75k when I took Ritz Vxi, partly beacuse there was an offer going on Ritz that time.
I am not sure whether interiors in Swift are best. Be in an i20 and you will get the answer. Regarding handling, Swift is better but the difference vis a vis Ritz is not a mile. Ritz is pretty strong in handling.
At the end, as GTO pointed, market is a funny place indeed!!!
Old 6th March 2013, 13:11   #40
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
The G13B was replaced by the K-Series engine close to 3 years ago. We have a swift with the G13B esteem engine and it sure rocks.
I'm aware of this @racer. I wrote this because I love the G13B. I also own it in red and love it to the core.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 13:36   #41
BHPian

We are comparing almost two different generation cars here.
The current Ritz is based on previous generation Swift platform which itself makes a strong point for the new Swift.

The new Swift has got a very refined suspension compared to that of Ritz which tends to get bouncy on roads and makes more noise too.

The same Mjd feels more eager and silent in Swift compared to that in Ritz. It is slightly more efficient as well.

There is lesser body roll in case of Swift which not only makes for a better handler but better comforts the passengers as well.

Interiors obviously look and feel more special in Swift than Ritz.

Swift will fetch better resale value than anyother hatchback including Ritz.

Swift enjoys more youthful image thanks to more appealing looks, drive and interiors.

Though its hard to justify 80-90ks difference on paper but the appeal of Swift makes it a more desirable car.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 22:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is very clear. If you are so keen on the benefits of RitZ over Swift, buy Ritz and be happy. In fact with all this, Maruti is also trying to push Ritz. I will never blame Maruti for over pricing (is it so?) Swift over Ritz with virtue of discounts.
In my experience in this era of commercial marketing, market is one thing which really can be predicted / understood completely by anyone. There is no single manufaturer enjoys, 100% hit ratio. There were always reasons for why cars are selling good and not selling good. But it does'nt mean the flip side also has bad and good values. Manufacturers try to be closer to market and attempts to hit and if it clicks its ok, if not stories will come out.
Old 6th March 2013, 23:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
The current Ritz is based on previous generation Swift platform which itself makes a strong point for the new Swift.
Ritz doesn't share the Swift platform. It is a totally different platform and was jointly developed between Suzuki and Opel in 2008.

May be the better ride comfort in Ritz can also be due to the German influence. This car is sold in Europe as Suzuki Splash / Opel Agila.
Old 7th March 2013, 08:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Ritz doesn't share the Swift platform. It is a totally different platform and was jointly developed between Suzuki and Opel in 2008.

May be the better ride comfort in Ritz can also be due to the German influence. This car is sold in Europe as Suzuki Splash / Opel Agila.
Incorrect.

The Ritz indeed is based on the previous generation Swift platform. It is not a totally different or new platform.

The vehicle isn't co developed with GM or Opel, its a Suzuki platform vehicle and the design inputs of GM/Vauxhall/Opel is limited to Cosmetics, rebadging and a lower powered 1 liter engine. Before the Splash their earlier Agila was a rebadged Wagon R+.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 09:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Incorrect.

The Ritz indeed is based on the previous generation Swift platform. It is not a totally different or new platform.

The vehicle isn't co developed with GM or Opel, its a Suzuki platform vehicle and the design inputs of GM/Vauxhall/Opel is limited to Cosmetics, rebadging and a lower powered 1 liter engine. Before the Splash their earlier Agila was a rebadged Wagon R+.
Looks like I was misinformed on the Splash development and Opel involvement. Thanks for correcting

Ritz would have probably sold a bit more numbers if the Swift was not present in the same showroom where the Ritz was. But then, I don't think MSIL cares about that marginal difference as long as they sell another Maruti.

End of the day, Maruti has the final laugh whether a potential Swift customer switches to a Ritz or vice versa. That's where their strategy is so successful with multiple overlapping models like Ritz/Swift/DZire and WagonR/Estilo/AStar. For a layman who walks into a Maruti showroom to buy a car in 4-6 lakhs range, the available choices ensures he is likely to find atleast one model that fits his requirement and take a decision before leaving the showroom. A potential Maruti customer who steps in leaves as an actual Maruti customer. In most other showrooms, the person leaves evaluating the pros and cons of the model he came to see.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks