Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 01:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2013 Tata Nano - Lots of updates!

Looks like the 2013 Nano will be launched next month according a report on Business-Standard.

Quote:
Further variants of the Nano, with one starting next month, will be seen in the market.
source - http://www.business-standard.com/art...2900877_1.html
Old 31st May 2013, 00:32   #47
BHPian

All the Nano really needs is power steering. That would make it easy to drive and open it up to a women audience who may find the hard steering a bit of a struggle in its present state
Old 31st May 2013, 15:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh911 View Post
All the Nano really needs is power steering. That would make it easy to drive and open it up to a women audience who may find the hard steering a bit of a struggle in its present state
My wife has a Nano and she doesnt find it difficult at all to drive it. More than power steering - i think the bigger problem is lack of boot space and image problem associated with a Nano.
Old 1st June 2013, 17:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors lines up 3 facelifted cars for June 2013

Link to story on News Section

2008 was the year in which Tata Motors acquired Jaguar-Land Rover, a British luxury car and SUV brand that was in the doldrums. At around the same time, Tata Motors' fortunes in India were on the upswing, with the brand's visibility at an all time high globally, partly thanks to JLR and partly due to the Tata Nano, the world's least priced car. Half a decade later, the tables have turned, and quite dramatically at that. Tata Motors finds itself generating most if not all of its profits from Jaguar-Land Rover even as Tata's domestic car and commercial vehicle making divisions are making losses. Tata Motors' new Managing Director, an ex-GM hand, Mr Karl Slym, is at the forefront of scripting a turnaround for the Indian car and CV maker.

The 2013 Tata Nano - Lots of updates!-tata-nano.jpg

The turnaround plan for Tata Motors' car division primarily includes a two pronged strategy. For the short term(1-2 years), Tata Motors plans to infuse a dash of excitement and freshness into its existing product range through facelifts of its cars. In the medium and long term(3-5 years), Tata Motors will revamp its entire car and SUV range with high quality offerings, all of them keyed to change Tata Motors' image and attract buyers who had hitherto stayed away from the brand. Next month, Tata Motors will showcase the first prong of its near term strategy by unveiling no less than three facelifted cars. According to AutoCarPro, these cars will be showcased by the end of June 2013, and are expected to give Tata Motors' car division a shot in the arm in the run up to the Indian festive season.

The 2013 Tata Nano - Lots of updates!-tata-indigo-ecs.jpg

Putting the pieces of the puzzle together, two of the three new cars that Tata Motors could showcase in June 2013 are expected to include the refreshed Nano and CNG powered Nano, and the the Tata Indigo eCS Facelift. All these cars have been spotted doing the testing rounds in and around Pune numerous times. The facelifted 2013 Nano is expected to get a host of improvements over the 2012 Nano. Most of these improvements are evolutionary, with many changes being incorporated in tune with customer feedback. The long list of changes, as detailed by Team-Bhp Member with handle Arjab, can be viewed here. To summarize, the 2013 Nano will get updated looks in terms of new front and rear bumpers, and new colours. On the inside, features such as integrated glove boxes, an under seat storage bin and integrated front speakers will be added.

These features are expected to be carried over to the Nano CNG, a car that is yet to hit the market, after being first showcased at the 2012 Indian Auto Expo. The 2013 Nano CNG is aimed at city hatchback buyers looking for a cost effective means of transport as CNG is cheaper than both petrol and diesel. The other car that is all set to get a facelift is the Indigo eCS compact sedan. With the compact sedan market in India hotting up with the arrival of the Honda Amaze, the car that started it all by spawning the compact sedan segment, the Indigo eCS, will see yet another makeover. Changes to the Indigo eCS will be in terms of revamped design elements on the outside and tweaked interiors on the inside. A few new features are also expected to be added to the 2013 Indigo eCS facelift.

The 2013 Tata Nano - Lots of updates!-tata-sumo-gold.jpg

The third facelifted car that Tata Motors could showcase in June 2013 is expected to be the Sumo Gold. Ever since it lost its leadership position in India to the Toyota Qualis MUV many summers ago, the Sumo has never really managed to top sales charts as the Mahindra Bolero has now captured the lion's share of the Indian MUV market, in both urban and rural sectors. So there, the Sumo Gold, 2013 Nano and the Indigo eCS might be what Tata Motors has lined up for showcasing by the end of June 2013.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 1st June 2013 at 17:59. Reason: Added News Link
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 18:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

I am planning for a new hatchback in the family - eCS is not hatchback but sub 4 meters serve my purpose. Is it worth waiting for eCS facelift. The engine with VGT seems okay, just that the exteriors and interiors are dated.

Any advise on what to expect in the new eCS?
Old 1st June 2013, 23:02   #51

The three facelifted cars to be showcased by Tata Motors by June end are the Indigo eCS facelift, Nano facelift and may not be the refreshed Sumo Gold. I got a news that TML is working on facelift of Indica eV2
Old 2nd June 2013, 02:29   #52
BHPian

We have a 2010 Top End Tata Nano at home as a local runabout. Is it possible for me to have a few features especially the glove boxes retrofitted in my car from the dealer?
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:56   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPriyankT View Post
We have a 2010 Top End Tata Nano at home as a local runabout. Is it possible for me to have a few features especially the glove boxes retrofitted in my car from the dealer?
Yes, I think it is possible. The special edition Nano that was launched last year was essentially the regular Nano with glove boxes fitted and alloys, among other things.

There were postings on the forum that the dealers were offering to fit the glove boxes on regular Nanos at the showroom.
Old 2nd June 2013, 14:13   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPriyankT View Post
Hello DrPriyankT, you can definitely have the gloveboxes retrofitted to your car. We have a Nano LX Special Edition in which the dealer had fitted these.

If I remember right, a pair should cost you around 2200/-.

Cheers
Old 4th June 2013, 20:13   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

2013 Tata Nano, Indigo eCS and Aria to launch next month.

http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...ext-month/4245
Old 8th June 2013, 12:54   #56

Tata Nano variants caught testing in Pune. The Nano diesel is quieter than the petrol variant.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2013 Tata Nano - Lots of updates!-tata-nano-diesel.jpg  

Old 8th June 2013, 14:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

With more spacious cars in terms of boot space and more powerful cars are giving equivalent mileage as the Nano so i think it is time for Tatas to rethink their strategy and re introduce the Nano with better engines, keeping economy, features and finesse as the key features. Boot space is not the criteria for judging a Nano. I cant think on one person who would have bought a Nano for the boot space it offers. I also hardly know of people who would be planning long drives on in their Nanos.

The most Important of all is the Power steering. While on move it may not be so daunting, try parking the Nano and you will immediately wonder why so small wheels need the kind of effort one puts in while turning the wheels.

The second is the power.

Third is plastic and build quality. I have been told that the plastics suck and the build quality is not of a standard that one would write a book on it. But then what do you expect at this price point.

A diesel Nano would not in my opinion be the answer.

I will intermediately buy a Nano once it came with a power steering simply because im smitten by it.

IMHO if the Nano came with a Power steering and automatic transmission, it will sell like a hotcake.....if it is amongst the first to be sold with this combination and when it does come and it does sell like the way im predicting, remember you first heard it from me....here
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 15:04   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlerroad View Post
Tata Nano variants caught testing in Pune. The Nano diesel is quieter than the petrol variant.
The bumper in the right-most nano looks a bit different than the other cars. Any info on it? IIRC, we did not have any news of the change in front bumper. From what can be seen in the image, it also does not have the place fir fog lamps.

So is it confirmed that nano diesel will be launched in 2013?
Attached Thumbnails
The 2013 Tata Nano - Lots of updates!-tata-nano-diesel.jpg  

Old 8th June 2013, 15:46   #59

I think Tata Motors (TML) will showcase / unveil the Nano Diesel at 2014 Auto Expo. TML is expected to launch Nano facelift this month end and then the CNG variant by festive season say November this year. We have seen the CNG test mules production ready. Diesel.. I believe in 2014 along with a major facelift to the petrol variant Nano.
Old 10th June 2013, 13:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nano Diesel could be built in two states of tune

The Tata Nano Diesel has been quite a while in the making with the latest launch timeline for the car pegged at early 2014. Even as test mules of the Nano Diesel continue to be spotted in and around Tata Motors' Pimpri factory, off Pune, new buzz about the Nano Diesel's engine is emerging on the Twitterverse.

The 2013 Tata Nano - Lots of updates!-tatananodieselenginespecifications.jpg

Rohin Nagrani, a Senior Editor at BS Motoring(recently acquired by Delhi Press) has tweeted that the Nano Diesel will be developed in two states of tune: 39 PS and 52 PS. The 52 PS version of the diesel engine is expected to be bound to export markets while the 39 PS version could be earmarked for India.

Surprisingly, the tweets also say that a final decision on the exact state of tune of the Nano's diesel engine is expected to taken soon. With these tweets taken into perspective, it remains unclear whether the Nano Diesel will be on schedule for a launch in early 2014. Tata Motors desperately needs a big volume variant of the Nano given the slow sales of the petrol engined version.

The upcoming Nano CNG launch on the 19th of June 2013 could do its bit to add to the volumes. Given that the Tata Nano CNG will be about 20,000-30,000 rupees pricier than the petrol version and that the Nano is a car primarily meant for city streets, we're wondering where and what price Tata Motors will positioned the diesel powered Nano.

Delving into a bit of speculation, the Nano Diesel, with its low cost underpinnings has all the trappings of becoming the least priced diesel engined car in the world. However, if CNG becomes freely available across most of India in the coming years and if the Indian government deregulates diesel completely, the diesel engined Nano Diesel might not be a better alternative when compared to the CNG powered version, when it comes to running costs.

Taking these possibilities into consideration, Tata Motors will have to walk the proverbial tight rope with the pricing and positioning of the Nano diesel. For now though, the 40 Kmpl fuel efficiency rumour circulating around the Tata Nano Diesel seems to be the biggest USP of the car.

Now, let's delve into some information about the Tata Nano's turbo diesel engine. The Tata Nano is expected to use a 700-800cc turbo diesel engine based on a two cylinder layout. Essentially a downsized version of the Tata Indica's CR4 1.4 liter turbo diesel motor, common rail direct injection and turbo charging is expected to make this small capacity engine torquey yet highly frugal.

Leaked specifications(by Garrett Turbochargers) of the Nano Diesel indicate a 800cc engine capacity, turbo charging, common rail direct injection and a 40 Bhp-60 Nm+ power and torque output. Garrett, now owned by Honeywell Technologies will build turbochargers for the Nano Diesel. This engine is said to be undergoing a dress rehearsal on the Tata Ace DICOR mini pick up truck, where it is available in 20 Bhp-55 Nm state of tune, although minus a turbocharger.

Image source Garrett (webpage taken down)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks