Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 20:39   #76
BHPian

Re: Toyota to launch the Etios and Liva facelift. EDIT : Launched (details on Page 4)

Now, if only had they got an AT on the 1.5L Liva, and with the features on offer it would have been a great buy !! In fact it would sell more than the manual 1.5L one.
Old 11th March 2013, 20:56   #77
BHPian

Re: Toyota to launch the Etios and Liva facelift. EDIT : Launched (details on Page 4)

Only hope toyota spares it future "designed for india" models with this low rent interior. I've heard cabbies telling me "Toyota is spoiling it's name".
Old 11th March 2013, 23:04   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Visited Nippon Toyota, Kalamassery and saw the new face lift Etios in flesh.

What has changed ?

1) Toyota has taken a serious effort to give the Etios interiors a decent ambiance. Saw 2 potential customers in there and both of them were happy with the interiors.
Quote:

Very nice insights Amalji, Thank You.
The interiors certainly seem substantially better quality. My friends who have the Etios are very happy with it.

The upgrade will certainly see the Etios being considered by more people. As you have mentioned in a later post, the low service costs should also prove a big draw.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th March 2013 at 23:10. Reason: fixing the quote tags.
Old 11th March 2013, 23:31   #79
Team-BHP Support

While the interiors seem to be a big step up from the earlier grey/ black ones - what really impresses is the addition of the 1.5L engine option for Liva. If only Toyota also had an automatic version to go with the same - it could have made for a zippy city car!

Since Liva is known for its neutral handling, and the 1.5L (combined with light weight of these cars) is known for performance and FE - I hope this engine option gets a warm response in the sales department.
Old 12th March 2013, 02:26   #80
BHPian

I did not know about the refresh and was just thinking today about considering an Etios to replace a now-rattling Swift. I don't get why don't they put center arm-rests in the top variant - how much would it cost them? Between 500-1000 rupees?
Old 12th March 2013, 06:04   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I did not know about the refresh and was just thinking today about considering an Etios to replace a now-rattling Swift. I don't get why don't they put center arm-rests in the top variant - how much would it cost them? Between 500-1000 rupees?
They have instead provided a center arm rest cushion as an accessory. I'm planning to buy one for my old model Etios.

Toyota to launch the Etios and Liva facelift. EDIT : Launched (details on Page 4)-etios_rear_arm_rest_cushion.jpeg
Old 12th March 2013, 08:21   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have instead provided a center arm rest cushion as an accessory. I'm planning to buy one for my old model Etios.

Attachment 1061268
Does this close?(into the rear seat) or kind of fixed armrest.
Old 12th March 2013, 10:40   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Add to that the stiffer suspension which has reduced the bouncy ride and eliminated the famous thud sound (as per the feedback from the owners having gone through it, mine will be going through it soon at the end of the month). However, do not let the 2mm less than Innova give you idea of its capabilities to match Innova's ride qualities. Innova is a different animal altogether.

I own an innova for 7 years now, so I know what Toyota brings to table. Have never owned a vehicle that's so comfy, troublefree for such a long time. Not even a squeek in the vehicle after 7yr, 80K on ODO, and looks good for atleast another 5yrs more! Can't say that about other vehicles.

But, It is bit too large for the city. But, having tasted Toyota quality don't ever want to go back to vehicles that start ratlling within 3-4yrs, or start giving problems in 5-6yrs.

Etios was too plane jane in previous avatar. Perhaps that'd change now.
Old 12th March 2013, 11:06   #84
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Just found the below article in today's Economic Times: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/18919510.cms

The article highlights on below points:

- It mentions about how Toyota became the Forth Largest Car Manufacturer in India in February 2013.

- Toyota has not only grown its volumes and market share, but it has done so profitably unlike many competitors.

- How Toyota changed the Indian Car market with Qualis first & then with Innova, all while competitors & analysts were in doubts of these car's success initially.

- Company is now trying to target the youth with modified versions of Etios & Liva

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 11:11   #85
Senior - BHPian

It does not look like that , maybe there is velcro or something at the bottom which holds it in place else it will move around substantially.

I had noticed this on the site as well , its a neat item and quite frankly one which can be used in any car , so could pick it up for one the cars at home , just dress it up to match the fabric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 11:27   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
I own an innova for 7 years now, so I know what Toyota brings to table. Have never owned a vehicle that's so comfy, troublefree for such a long time. Not even a squeek in the vehicle after 7yr, 80K on ODO, and looks good for atleast another 5yrs more! Can't say that about other vehicles.

But, It is bit too large for the city. But, having tasted Toyota quality don't ever want to go back to vehicles that start ratlling within 3-4yrs, or start giving problems in 5-6yrs.
Cool. I am in similar boat, my Innova being August 2005 manufacture. But let me just mention that there are quite a few aspects of Toyota I have come to see from close quarters in these about 7.5 years of ownership and see how conservatively they behave and work. I will just say for now, don't take Toyota's Q motto for granted on each and every aspect of their working and customership and rely more on self-attention to your vehicle.

Quote:
Etios was too plane jane in previous avatar. Perhaps that'd change now.
Let us see if Toyota's feel good gimmicks work in its favor now. We had bought it after its launch only for what car it is and not the look and feel. Also, I wanted to see how it is, first hand, against the competition as this was newly launched after much frenzy and we could have chosen any other thing in its competition at that time.
Old 12th March 2013, 20:54   #87
Senior - BHPian

Anyone in the market for a quick hatch, I don't think it can get better than the Liva TRD edition. This might now be the quickest hatch of the block even if it is compared to hatches that are no longer on sale. In TRD form, the Liva is an attractive option for a petrol head. Those alloys looks really sweet and the body kit is not over done.

What impressed me about the petrol engine in the Etios was its response and tractability. It was not free revving after a point and made quite a racket even on idle. Even still; in the useable rpm range, the car was quick. In a lighter car like the Liva, it should be quicker and more fun. The steering was also very direct for a electronic unit. Nice room at the back.

What was not impressive was the wafer thin build quality and absolutely horrid plastics. The door plastics were flexing with a push of the finger on it. Really low rent. Noise insulation was weak too. The drone of the petrol engine was audible inside the cabin and external noise isn't really reduced even with the windows rolled up. The car was not exactly cheap too. At well over 8 lac on road for the top spec Etios petrol, it is steep. This price can get you a top spec petrol Ford Classic or a Nissan Sunny/Scala.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 12th March 2013 at 20:56.
Old 12th March 2013, 21:44   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Anyone in the market for a quick hatch, I don't think it can get better than the Liva TRD edition. This might now be the quickest hatch of the block even if it is compared to hatches that are no longer on sale. In TRD form, the Liva is an attractive option for a petrol head. Those alloys looks really sweet and the body kit is not over done.

What impressed me about the petrol engine in the Etios was its response and tractability. It was not free revving after a point and made quite a racket even on idle. Even still; in the useable rpm range, the car was quick. In a lighter car like the Liva, it should be quicker and more fun. The steering was also very direct for a electronic unit. Nice room at the back.
Now imagine taking this new Liva TRD to Red Rooster in Bangalore and asking them to do the same engine mods as that of the Etios Motor racing cars. You will get a free revving motor with better performance. Add the suspension kit and you have a super light fun to drive car that will be a hoot to drive on track.
Old 13th March 2013, 01:03   #89
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to TD the new Liva Diesel. There is a marked improvement in NVH on the road. Attaching the test drive video below comparing the NVH of the new and old Etios Diesels.

Tips while watching the video
  • Video is recorded using the same camera with windows rolled up. To compare the NVH, ensure that you don't change the speaker volume midway through the video. Keep the volume at a high level and watch the video completely without changing the volume.
  • Gear shifting at around 2300 rpms ( 2nd - 20 kmph, 3rd - 40 kmph, 4th - 60 kmph )
  • 0th to 1st minute - New Etios Liva Diesel accelerating to 80 kmph.
  • 1st to 2nd minute - New Etios Liva Diesel driven slowly through the traffic
  • 2nd to 3rd minute - Old model Etios Diesel accelerating to 80 kmph.
  • 3rd to 4th minute - Old model Etios Diesel driven slowly through the traffic

Observations
  • NVH is remarkably low, compared to the old model at idle, slow driving and turbo range.
  • The Engine tone has less of the karkar sound. It's more subtle.
  • Gear felt a bit more hard. But, the sales person - Naufal told me that there is no technical difference with regards to gear knob and that it might be a bit tough since, it is a new car. Probably, true since, I remember the same effect on mother's Liva as well. But, it smoothened with time.
  • Comfort level is as good as the previous model ( if not better )

Also happened to see the GD ( without safety pack ) version of LIva.

Toyota to launch the Etios and Liva facelift. EDIT : Launched (details on Page 4)-pano_20130312_172414.jpg
The Toyota Etios Liva GD ( without Safety Pack ) has got grey interiors. But, still looks better than the old model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
It does not look like that , maybe there is velcro or something at the bottom which holds it in place else it will move around substantially.

I had noticed this on the site as well , its a neat item and quite frankly one which can be used in any car , so could pick it up for one the cars at home , just dress it up to match the fabric.
+1 to what @puchoo mentioned. This should be a good accessory even for non-Toyota cars without armrest on rear seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Now imagine taking this new Liva TRD to Red Rooster in Bangalore and asking them to do the same engine mods as that of the Etios Motor racing cars. You will get a free revving motor with better performance. Add the suspension kit and you have a super light fun to drive car that will be a hoot to drive on track.
The best thing about Nippon Toyota, Cochin is that they have a tie-up with redrooster. The top floor of Nippon Toyota Kalamassery is used by redrooster. And they even promise that warranty will not be affected provided the mod is done by redrooster from Toyota showroom.

To Do

The sales person - Naufal told me that there is a session for potential customers and old customers who gave feedback for improvement of the car on Saturday 5:00 pm. He invited me for this. Also mentioned that this session can be used to ask questions regarding the exact technical change done for NVH control.
So, will be attending this session for sure.

PS: Thank you, Rai K Dhaman for doing the camera work. And thank you, Naufal ( sales person @ Toyota ) for being patient with me all through the test drive.
amalji is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 09:30   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Got a chance to TD the new Liva Diesel. There is a marked improvement in NVH on the road.
Thats great for the people who are about to buy new Liva. But not so for people like me who have bought Liva just 3.5 months back. I have spent additionally 10K for better sound insulation outside toyota showroom. So, my car has relatively better NVH, but when I use the horn with all windows rolled up, it still feels that the horn is blown inside the cabin. This is very irritating, especially when my little son wakes up from his sleep from the back seat due to the sound. It used to be a faint sound in my old Getz. I hope toyota has taken care of that.

Thank you Amalji for the pro-active reports. After the feedback session with toyota, please let us know if the new NVH control can be fitted in the older car. I would appreciate toyota if they can do it at a very marginal cost.

I am wondering if the car manufacturers are not having a good relation with tbhp nowadays for pointing out so many of their faults . Earlier we used to get official review of cars-to-be-launched much earlier. But not now. Example, SAIL sedan, Liva petrol with 1.5 engine.

Last edited by sups : 13th March 2013 at 09:32.
sups is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks