Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2013, 14:15   #16
BHPian

I did receive an SMS asking me to contact the Mahindra dealer for " Field Service Action" . We purchased the XUV on Aug 2012. Have informed the Manager, the service personnel would be calling me. So. Fr, I have had no issues as such, except the infamous brake sound. Let us wait and see.
Rameshdude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 14:54   #17
BHPian

Re: Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain parts

I think its a good thing that Mahindra is fixing the bugs. From what I've made of the forums, Mahindra has been sensitive to feedback from XUV customers. Being a Logan owner my self, I've noticed that that if the dealer screws up and you raise this up with the company, Mahindra steps in.

They have followed a good strategy - a good product with exceptional service. I took the test drive of the XUV today and prefer it over the Storme. I believe this could be my next car!
aajohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 16:56   #18
BHPian

Re: Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain parts

A BIG thanks to M&M for this bold action. I am confident to say when I look out for a car next time, the first consideration would be from M&M.

I see a clear vision and strategy in each M&M actions for XUV5OO and really happy to see that among the Indian manufacturers, M&M taken the first step to show that it really care about its products sold and the end user.

Talked to RM just a few minutes back after received the SMS alert on service action, will be dropping the vehicle for the work on Tuesday.

Thanks
HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 9th March 2013 at 16:57.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 17:27   #19
BHPian

I too received the call now, I have been told to drop the vehicle tomorrow, ie Sunday for the necessary work . They told me , the work is for the front two power window motors.
Old 9th March 2013, 17:45   #20
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
...Talked to RM just a few minutes back after received the SMS alert on service action, will be dropping the vehicle for the work on Tuesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
I too received the call now, I have been told to drop the vehicle tomorrow, ie Sunday for the necessary work . They told me , the work is for the front two power window motors.
Guys, one request. Please pay close attention to what parts are getting inspected and what parts are getting replaced. Insist on a copy of the job-card and the final-invoice. The invoice would be for zero Rs, but it would still have to list all the new parts put into the vehicle.

This is important because:
1. You don't want to be taken for a ride by a rogue service-center.
2. There might be other parts that they could replace, which may not have been announced.

This might sound like the conspiracy theory - "The secret recall" . But still.

So please pay attention. And do let us know.

Last edited by SDP : 9th March 2013 at 17:52.
SDP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 11:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hello SDP,

Indeed a great step forward by Mahindra. This will probably set a new benchmark in Indian Car market of manufacturer proactively accepting responsibility of faulty parts.

What about your Car? Are the three parts supposed to be changed in your Car also?

If I recall correctly, you did face some issue in your car window during your Panchgani trip.

Thans,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 11:55   #22
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Overall, I am happy about M&M issuing its first ever recall and showing commitment towards customer-safety.

Here are my detailed views about the Mahindra XUV recall:

Indian manufacturers have signed up for a 'voluntary' recall policy in Jul'2012. Here's a news article about it:
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/auto-lo...all-guidelines

Moderator .anushman's post stresses the need for a independent authority to enforce the policy:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2785096

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Our country needs not only the Recall policy but also a governing authority like NHSTA in US to enforce the policy.

We also need to change our mindset regarding the recalls, whenever a car maker is recalling their cars they are admitting their mistakes and are making effort to correct it but in our country newspapers and media publish recalls as masala news . How many of the manufacturers here are actually brave enough to recall their defective cars?

Some Examples-
  • Just because we have non existent consumer laws we get just the standard warranty on DSG gearbox in VW/Skoda/Audi, just because of NHSTA and stronger consumer laws in US, VW offers the same gearbox a 10 year warranty.
  • Other case, owners of Superb 1.8 TSI with DSG 7(DQ200) continue to struggle with multiple failures every year, still no official recall, some cars are replaced and some get refunds but most other continue to suffer. On the other side, VW China under pressure from some government authority admitted in March '12 that this same DSG 7(DQ200) 'box has some issues and they are working on it.
  • Initial batch of Fiat Punto Multijet(including mine) had a known fault. The plastic Clutch slave cylinder was known to fail, so Fiat instead of a full fledged recall adopted a safer way of replacing the part whenever the cars came for servicing, some dealers did do this and others either did not know this or conveniently ignored it. Result: Hundreds of cars including mine were stranded on roads.
  • Similarly early Mahindra Scorpio Mhawk had a similar clutch issue. People at Mahindra and dealers knew all about it. There was no official recall, people were stranded on roads including the Mhawk we owned.
  • There are countless discussions on the forum on why to avoid initial batch Tata and Mahindra vehicles, just because they use customers as guinea pigs to sort out initial niggles
Would like to just add the following to .anshuman's point: Owners and families getting stranded on roads, although incovenient and irritating, is actually not that bad when we really consider the worst-case scenario of getting into an accident because of a failed part.

The following article gives an accurate chronology of the most famous recall in the history by the world's largest car-manufacturer.
What is even more interesting is how the manufacturer under-played and mis-represented the issue for years together and how quickly the manufacturer was brought to its knees by the stong regulatory authority.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...s/viewall.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coming back to the XUV5OO recall, let me try to present a chronology of events based on our very own " XUV 500 niggles and their solutions" thread.
Please note that we have possibly not more than a couple of hundred XUV-owners as members on this forum. Its a very small sample for the 55,000+ XUVs on road at this point.

15-Mar-2012: One of the first instances of power-steering issues reported by pavan15:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2715210
Quote:
First the power steering is not as "light" as it is in other XUVs - believe there is a problem with some hose that needs to be replaced. Maybe the hose supplying the power steering fluid.
26-Apr-2012: Another instance reported by moleculez:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2758537
Quote:
Had faced a new issue with the XUV. A few days ago i parked the car for some 3 hrs and when i stared driving again, as I moved the steering the car make weird loud creaky noises. As if metal was rubbing against metal. I called up the RM and he asked me to open the hood and check the Power Steering fluid, and i saw that it was empty. Rushed the car to the service center (some 10kms) and they said the power steering pipe was leaking and ITS A COMMON PROBLEM. They got it replaced in some 5-6 hrs. But guys you need to be careful as this can be a big issue and someone might get stuck somewhere someday.
Please do note how easily the problem was diagonised over phone and the comment about "its a common problem".

28-May-2012: Reported by Tushargohil
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2790788

14-Jun-2012: Reported by anandtheleo
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2808820

24-Oct-2012: debuda's nephew stranded because of PS failure:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2942576
Quote:
A few days ago, my nephew’s family (nephew is out at sea) had a harrowing experience when they were being driven in the XUV by their driver. Suddenly, the power steering failed and the steering became inoperable. They were stuck in Chembur. They rang up the M&M on-road assistance call centre and after about 1 ½ hours a tow truck and an Innova arrived. The former towed their XUV to the Service Centre in Goregaon and the latter dropped them home.
The steering failure happened due to rupture of a pipe in the hydraulic system with consequent loss of hydraulic fluid. The Service Centre promptly rectified the defect the next day.
29-Oct-2012: Our very own moderator Zappo faced complete failure of power-steering:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2946292
Quote:
My 6 months old XUV today suffered a failed PS. I went to a nearby diagnostics center today. The place has a parking on a sharp incline. When I came back and started reversing with a full lock turn of the steering on that incline suddenly I found that the steering was rock solid and was refusing to turn. I was zapped. Then the bulb glowed. I put the car on hand brakes and went out to check. To my surprise the PS fluid was pouring out underneath.
Quote:
Q. Was there any indicator glowing either before or after the incident happened which indicated PS malfunction?
A. Nope. In fact I realized with this malfunction yesterday that M&M still has some scopes for dumping a few dozen more sensors probably in this already sensor laden car. Seriously, they have sensors for every damn thing in this car and yet there is none for PS! Nada. No light nothing, before or after the incidence.
2-Nov-2012: parsh's friend faces a PS failure:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2951406
Quote:
Finally, the PS went Kaput on my friend's XUV5OO as few others reported earlier. ... The reason given is low quality of the pipe that got burst.
10-Nov-2012: PS hose leakage in my car:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2958934
Quote:
After Zappo reporting PS failure because of leakage I got it checked in my car during the first service and a rubber-hose in my car was also leaking. The leak was minor, but the part would have eventually failed. ... Because of the underbody plastic cover below the engine and transmission, the leak is very difficult to notice unless it is severe.
27-Nov-2012: PS hose failure in shaktithakran's XUV:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2973580

24-Dec-2012: Leakage in HotChillyPepper's XUV:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2998218

---------------------------------------------------------------

10-Nov-2012: debuda's confirmation that Oct'2012 manufactured XUVs have the new-design PS high-pressure hose:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2958977
Quote:
The upper of the two pipes is the High Pressure power steering hose which has a history of leaks. ... The leaks usually take place from the joints between the rubber hose and its steel end connections (the black rubber hose on the right and one of its steel end fittings on the left are clearly visible in this picture). These pipes / hoses are situated by the side of the front RHS wheel-well (below the steering column)....I was informed by the mechanic that the hose fitted in my car is of modified design.
Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain parts-xuv008-ps-hose.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

Summarizing:
Power Steering oil leakage problems are being reported starting from Mar'2012. By April'2012, good number of problems for PS leakage got reported..enough to be termed as "its a common problem" by RMs and mechanics. Around that time, M&M would have figured that the high-pressure hose was the culprit. They must have done testing, analysis, eventual re-design and testing of the new-designed hose after that. The new-design PS high pressure 'fluid hose' seems to have got incorporated into the production from Oct'2012 onwards. Even after that for 5 whole months, a significant population of owners would have been blissfully unaware about the potential safety hazard due to PS failure. What took Mahindras so long to communicate the problem and fix it proactively?

I sincerely hope that the current recall is not a symbolic goodwill gesture and Mahindras are serious about safety, product quality and reliability. To ascertain that, we should be keeping a keen eye on any future recalls. The brake-noise and spongy brake-feel issue is a significantly more concerning issue than the windshield getting scratched due to incorrectly designed wiper part. The siren falling off and getting entangled in moving parts is a borderline safety issue. Would like to see how Mahindras approach these 2 issues.

A GREAT move by Mahindras to issue its first ever recall. BUT, it should have been done a few months earlier. Keeping my fingers crossed for better agility, transparency and a continued focus on making existing vehicles trouble-free by way of regular recalls from M&M.

Last edited by SDP : 10th March 2013 at 12:19.
SDP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 12:06   #23
BHPian

Friends,
Had given my XUV to the service centre in the morning, and got the work done in about an hours time.
In my vehicle, they changed the
1) Front two power window regulators
2) Left wiper blade cover.

They said , the power steering issue is not present,and no need to change.
Old 10th March 2013, 12:32   #24
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Friends,
Had given my XUV to the service centre in the morning, and got the work done in about an hours time.
In my vehicle, they changed the
1) Front two power window regulators
2) Left wiper blade cover.

They said , the power steering issue is not present,and no need to change.

Thanks Ramesh! Can you please specify manufacturing month and year for your car?

Also, by "power window regulators" do you mean the entire power-window assembly or just some part of it?
Old 10th March 2013, 14:33   #25
BHPian

Thanks Ramesh! Can you please specify manufacturing month and year for your car?

Also, by "power window regulators" do you mean the entire power-window assembly or just some part of it?[/quote]

Mine was July 2012 manufactured vehicle.
They did not change the complete set, only the motor. After that, I used the windows to check, I did not notice any difference. Others can comment after their service.
The brake pad & disc is still in short supply & it seems they are awaiting a new tested assembly & it should be available in about 3 weeks.
Old 10th March 2013, 19:10   #26
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello SDP,

Indeed a great step forward by Mahindra. This will probably set a new benchmark in Indian Car market of manufacturer proactively accepting responsibility of faulty parts.

What about your Car? Are the three parts supposed to be changed in your Car also?

If I recall correctly, you did face some issue in your car window during your Panchgani trip.

Thans,
Yes, my car is part of the recalled vehicles. May'2012 manufactured.
But, the 'fluid hose' has already been replaced in Nov'2012 with the new design and just a week back, I was told that my front-window-winder-motors are from the correct batch and need no replacement.

BTW, you have good memory about the issue faced by me in the Panchgani trip. I indeed faced a winder-motor malfunction during the trip. But that was for the rear-left window and the motor was replaced under warranty. Apparently that was a one-off issue and not part of the recall.
Old 10th March 2013, 20:36   #27
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Was tracking the news on the XUV recall and came across this one:
http://hindi.drivespark.com/four-whe...00-002552.html

For easy reference, pasting a screenshot:
Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain parts-hindi-recall-news.png

For the benefit of our non-Hindi speaking members, the literal translation of the headline is "Mahindra XUV500 found defective. Company would take it back."

This is precisely the kind of irresponsible reporting and tendency towards "attention-grabbing headlines" because of which Indian manufacturers hesitate when issuing a recall.

On a separate note, did anybody found a public recall notice issued by Mahindras in any prominent newspapers (print versions)?

Last edited by SDP : 10th March 2013 at 20:42.
SDP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 21:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

SDP; I too think it is a case of irresponsible journalism. In case someone writes to them, they will edit & ask an apology. I can't understand as to how hard it is for media to belt out correct information.

On another note, I am really surprised to see no action being taken as far as XUV 500's initial batches braking competency goes.

Seems M&M have decided to issue this later, which would mean another recall. I believe two recalls back to back won't give out a very good impression.

Silently, M&M should start working on the brake & its components. It would be much better. I know it would be hard as PS's components would have reached the ASC's and not the brake ones. But I think they should work on this.

Over to Mahindra...Are you guys listening?
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 12:25   #29
BHPian

I received a SMS & later received call from RM. Front power windows needs to be replaced.

RM told out of three issues, my particular batch has only above issue.

Last edited by Vasuki : 11th March 2013 at 12:27.
Old 11th March 2013, 17:18   #30
BHPian

Re: NEWS: Mahindra recalls XUV500 from 2011-2012 batch for replacement of certain par

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
My Sept. 2012 manufactured XUV is covered under replacement action by M&M. Though i have not faced any of the said issues so far (8600 kms).
i have not faced any of the said issues too.. 20300 km done so far mine is Dec 2011 batch.

Most Viewed