Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2006, 16:04   #1

Why Diesel,why no CNG ??

Hi guys ,due to the subsidy provided by the govt. on diesel fuel ,we all are aware of the benefits of going for the diesel car and the market for diesel car is rising rapidly .

We cant deny the fact that india is a diesel crazy country and the only reason for that is the lowe fuel cost and better FE compared to petrol cars .
But the way fuel prices are climbing ,i am sure the day is not far away when diesel vehicles too 'll be very very expensive to run .

My ques is ,why dont Auto manufacturers come up with a better alternate to a diesel ,why not CNG(which costs only Rs. 18/kg) ,why are manufacturers (like MUL) spending $ millions to set up a diesel plant ,instead why dont they give indians a company fitted CNG ?

Do you think the way diesel prices are going ,the diesel market would remain the same ?? I doubt ,cos i already see many people turning their backs towards diesel and petrol cars ..

I know after fitting CNG ,the power of the engine reduces but the fact is give indians FE and low running costs fuel and they are ready to compromise on most of the things ..

What do you guys say,the way petrol/diesel prices are increasing ,does it make any sense to buy a diesel car or CNG a better option ?

P.S I am not considering petrol cars here cos i think people who buy a petrol car ,drive less(from point A to B)
,so the fuel cost is not a huge matter of concern for them .
Old 15th May 2006, 16:27   #2

To me ,buying a diesel car doesnt make any sense cos i feel , if you drive a lot(100kms a day) then better go in for the CNG and if you drive less(30-40kms/day) petrol is a better choice ,cos i dont think it makes any sense to buy a diesel car if you drive 30-40 kms cos no matter how good the diesel technology is today ,its still not as silent or as easy to drive as a petrol car .

Newer generation diesels may not be as expensive to maintain but the premium the Auto manufacturers charge on the diesel cars doesn't make it a good VFM .

I say, if you drive approx 100km/day(and want to save your monthly fuel bills) go for the CNG or if you drive 30-40kms or less go for the petrol car .

Whats your take on this guys ?
Old 15th May 2006, 17:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

What you say certainly makes sense. One of the major issues of CNG is the availability. Yes. Delhi has a lot of CNG filling stations. But down south, CNG's presence is next to nothing. I do not know anything technical enough to make a comment about whether CNG affects the engine or stuffs like that.

I think availability is basically a chicken and egg sort of issue. As you know, it was the Supreme Court's decision in Delhi to convert all dsl vehicles to CNG and that prompted the infrastructure set up there. Down south, there is no initiative like that at all.
Old 15th May 2006, 17:18   #4
kdb
BHPian

I totally agree with you and i would like to say not even 30-40 kms a day .. if you are travelling 60-70 kms a day then also the petrol car is better.

Lets do a simple math:
I travel 60-70 kms daily to office totaling around 2000 kms(approx) a month and my car (fiesta 1.4) gives a mileage of 13-14 kmpl, that way I spend around 6500 (approx) on fuel. On the other hand if i would have gone for a diesel car (Exmaple accents crdi or the fiesta tdci) i would have got a mileae of 18 kmpl and that would have cost me around Rs 3200 a month saving me me around Rs 3300 every month- approx Rs 40000 a year. but the extra premium which i would pay to get the deisel car would be 1.6 Lacs.. leading to recovery of my cost in 4 years!! that too with interest and maintenance would be 5 years!

So if u r commuting more than 125 or 150km a day then deisel can make some sense. CNG is good for city but when u travelling more on the highway then deisel would be a better choice.
Old 15th May 2006, 22:14   #5

Hi deepakhon and kdb .

kdb : Buddy ,i completely agree with what you said . I myself was convinced after taking the test drive of diesel fiesta .I thought it was excellent VFM and i had stretched(nearly doubld) my budget and was very much interested in buying a diesel fiesta but when i sat down and did the calculation ,i wasn't too convinced and found out that the extra premium of 1.6 lacs is not worth it .
I found out CNG the best option cos i drive 100kms/day .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks