Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2013, 19:11   #46
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Going by these photos, I have to admit I'm extremely disappointed. Granted, we always knew the Ecosport will be built to a cost, but I wasn't expecting this.

5 lakh starting for this car totally makes sense now. And 8 lakhs on the top end. Max! Anything more and it'd make the new Fiesta look like value for money.

Are those seats leather? The new Fiesta's leather seats are a hundred times better. Come to think of it, even the fabric seats in the Fiesta look better than these. And, pray tell me, why can't we Indians have those same grayed alloys they've been demo'ing all across the world?

There were people comparing this to the i20 and I'm a pretty sure the i20 has much better interiors than the Ecosport and the only thing that might be in Ecosport's favor will be the driving pleasure, hopefully.

I think the Ecosport will still end up being a success because, let's face it, people in this country need a cheap SUV looking vehicle and going by the duster's success, quality of interiors don't seem to matter much with the general populace.

If this is the car for me, or not, I can only decide after looking in person.

Last edited by sharninder : 15th March 2013 at 19:23. Reason: added more thoughts
Old 15th March 2013, 19:19   #47
Team-BHP Support

Well this was bound to happen. Less than 4m, one just cant generate space.
But interiors was some thing which I think Ford did over do (or rather under-do!)

Because, people with priority of space, would never buy Ecosport, even if its cheaper. I still have my doubts on long distance back seat comfort on this product.
Couple it with the fact that boot is small, it does not make a very appealing case.

Interiors still can be spruced up (stanley etc) to an extent. But there is no substitute for space.

Last edited by ampere : 15th March 2013 at 19:26.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 19:26   #48
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post

And there is nothing EcoBOOST about that engine bay, I stand by parrys comment on engine cover.
Couldn't it be that Ford wanted you to see the engine instead of hiding it behind a plastic cover. They really consider the Ecoboost engine an accomplishment and would have wanted people to see what lies beneath.
Just think if a Figo which is much cheaper than the EcoSport can have a cover these guys wont put it on their new launch.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 19:30   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Oh my God, you guys haven't even seen the car in flesh and already pitch forks out and flames at the ready.

I was just speaking to a friend who had gone to see it at Saket and he says it is a thing of beauty and something to look at. Even interiors according to him were quite nice. The car at Saket was the same vehicle seen testing around Gurgaon. According to him the price is also going to be a compelling factor for people to buy an Ecosport.

Just remember how everyone moaned at the Dusters interiors and still it turned out to be a game changer for Renault. Give it a break people, see the car yourself and then decide.
The reason for such widespread dissapointment is that everyone was expecting EcoSport to have significantly better interiors, for it to make a case for itself against the Duster. Looks wise the Duster does not lag (in fact some consider it better looking). And we all know about it's superb ride quality.

Driving dynamics aside, quality of interiors was being considered the main differentiating factor. For similar quality of interiors, why would one not got for the Duster considering the (arguably) better space Duster offers as well?
avisidhu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 19:32   #50
BANNED

The interiors reek of cost cutting. 200+ pages and what it has come to! Khoda pahad nikli chuhiya.

Hope Ford is sensible with the pricing.

Last edited by anandjha : 15th March 2013 at 19:35.
Old 15th March 2013, 19:34   #51
Team-BHP Support

Are those additional seat covers? They really look like after market covers. I can't imagine factory seat upholstery being so loose fitting, with so many creases and beginning to slip off.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 19:35   #52
BHPian

Clearly, there is something wrong with the car. It must be a press vehicle as so many things CANNOT go wrong with a new car.

@parrys, were you the first to touch the car at the showplace? Is it possible that the interiors were mistreated by the onlookers? The rear seat back piece(visible from the boot) must have been mishandles by someone, same with the rubber in the centre console? Any ideas?

Ford you forgot something in the backyard,
Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-fordfocus1.0lecoboost6.jpg

Last edited by Eminenttismo : 15th March 2013 at 19:44.
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 19:37   #53
Mik
BHPian

The same story starts again.
As with every impending launch we bhpians hype the car up as the best thing ever and when reality strikes we start nitpicking on the tiniest details. I have seen the car in flesh and its amazing. Have had a look at the interiors through the glass and its nowhere as cheap as people are crying about. Give it a break and check it out yourself.

Ofcourse - If Ford can't launch this thing in 6 lakhs base - Then it might just end up killing the product.
Mik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 19:48   #54
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed photos.

Exterior looks good. Interior plastic quality isn't that appreciable really (From the photos) Fit and Finish seems to be bad too. Those Seat covers and the engine bay

OT: Hats off to TATA for their interior quality, seat finish and so on in recent Manza and Vista launches. Wish they come soon with the Vista crossover and Manza estate, an Ertiga contender.

The rear hatch opens towards the left! Isn't that just a lift from Left Hand drive market? as the loading will be from left side for a right hand drive market such as India - Cost cutting.

Rear seat space seems to be low compared to Duster and is just comparable to Classic.

Hope they don't repeat the same mistake as New Fiesta and price it optimistically based on the crowd around it.

Bookings might start in May/June? ha ha ha, Duster would have sold another 15,000 units by then. God save Ford!

Last edited by ganesc : 15th March 2013 at 19:55. Reason: added points
ganesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 19:49   #55
BHPian

In one word - Disappointing!

Why would anyone "show off" their new "jewel in the crown" car with pathetic quality? IMHO, Ford has missed an opportunity. The only thing that can save them would be killer pricing, which I very well doubt..
Old 15th March 2013, 19:58   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

I was just reading through all the posts and it reminded me about the reactions people had after XUV was launched but before its price was announced. Everyone was sad with the looks and the next day after price was announced, everyone went ga ga over it. When I talked my brother today, he had that schoolboy excitement in his voice and he was pretty happy with looks of the vehicle. I must tell you that he was really pleased to have a look at it.
My brother and his colleague also met someone from Ford who was known to them since long and few things I would like to tell you guys that he told my brother-This happens to be a pre-production interior, the final version is way better, pricing will be less than Duster and he added that you'll be surprised when prices will be announced. That person claimed that this is authentic news.
So I'm also praying that Ford surprises us in a pleasant way, like Mahindra did.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th March 2013 at 20:47. Reason: Post edited as requested. Also requesting you for giving space after punctuations please.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 19:58   #57
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!

I strongly feel this a very basic demo piece displaying all the features of the car, If you remember the first spy shots of the Ecosport @Mumbai dealer was having seats were with fabric type. I feel they have incorporated the after market seat covers for demo purpose, also if we see the Delhi pics you don't see the rear seat pads, which indicates these are done for just demo purpose.

Below pic is from Delhi display

Ford EcoSport revealed with PICTURES : Inside & Out!-fordecosport321.jpg

The real feel of interiors/exterior(Engine bay/under body engine protection) can be felt once we get hands real TD car.

Ford should have taken care to show 'as is' model at the display.

Last edited by bageherath : 15th March 2013 at 20:19. Reason: Removing quoted post
bageherath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 20:04   #58
BHPian

Adding to other observations based on the photos, the electric ORVM control on the door, looks ill-placed to me. It sure is going to take some training for your mind to register the relation between control input and mirror movement, because it ain't going to be natural.
Old 15th March 2013, 20:24   #59
Senior - BHPian

Not again Light/Wiper stalks on wrong side, Mumbai display car looks pathetic. Overall first impression is just okay. Now lets see what price tag they put on hopefully its not similar to Chinese prices.
Old 15th March 2013, 20:25   #60
NMS
BHPian

WOW !! Its been 3-4 Hours since the thread started and there are as many number of pages as well !!

Thus the Bashing Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Oh my God, you guys haven't even seen the car in flesh and already pitch forks out and flames at the ready.
Give it a break people, see the car yourself and then decide.

Agree 100 % to that. Lets wait till we have cars in the showroom to test drive, let a comprehensive TD report come out on T-Bhp and then we can start the bashing.
Long anticipated cars often have the buyers expecting the moon !!
I was one of the first guys to criticize Storme's pricing. And eventually now I feel that whatever Storme is offering in the price band actually is quite fair.
Frankly in India a right balance of price-maintenance-average-looks works just fine. Safety and Interiors are overlooked by most of the normal car buyers.
I feel someone who finds the "Price-Looks-Average-Maintenance-Looks" balance right might be ready to compromise on Interiors and Safety Features. Duster's success is a classic example.

Frankly I can't hope of buying Merc quality for the price of a Maruti (no offenses meant) I mean there will be a compromise somewhere.

Last edited by NMS : 15th March 2013 at 20:32.
NMS is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed