Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 16:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS : 2013 BMW X1 Facelift

Hmm this seems to be much improved over previous gen unless I've been misinformed about the previous X1.
Guys I have a question, Did the previous base model X1 have iDrive as standard?
Old 20th March 2013, 16:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
2) Finally a car company has managed to sell station wagons to Indian customers - by calling it a SUV!
Can't agree more, IMO this car will win the most ugly looking luxury car contest !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Definitely not up to the mark of a 30 - 35 lakh car, no.

Personally, I'd buy the 3 series any which day over the X1. Newer, better looks, more fun to drive, superior backseat and so much more.
Exactly, This car is not worth the money spend on, unless you are a die hard BMW fan !
Old 20th March 2013, 20:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Definitely not up to the mark of a 30 - 35 lakh car, no.

Personally, I'd buy the 3 series any which day over the X1. Newer, better looks, more fun to drive, superior backseat and so much more.
This is exactly the sentiments for BMW enthusiasts in the US too. The X1 can come very well equipped for under 40k$ here. However, the 3 series with similar spec would run at least a few thousands more. The 3 series wagon maybe even pricier. However, you get what you pay for. Interior bits are cheap for a german luxury crossover and the electronics on offer in the base variants even put base Kia/Hyundais to shame. That being said, if all that matters to you is a CUV with good driving dynamics, this is not a bad choice. There are definitely better cars in the price range though.
Old 23rd March 2013, 09:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
1) That roof box ought to be standard equipment - in all BMW cars. For carrying a spare wheel.

2) Finally a car company has managed to sell station wagons to Indian customers - by calling it a SUV!
It was never an SUV from the first day on sale, BMW calls it the SAV though i am not quite sure what the major difference is.

But the fact remains that it is even selling well in US and other European markets, i had though it is only selling well in India due to its price range.

EDIT: The famous website autoblog.com had summed up the definition is much simpler terms and it looks well justified to me

Quote:
The X1 is BMW's ultimate compromise machine in the car-as-truck-as-SUV-as-wagon-as-city-vehicle category. It's aimed at undecideds who want a BMW that's attractive and can carry stuff while sitting high up, but not too high up.

Last edited by rajeshchand : 23rd March 2013 at 09:53. Reason: Added something more...
rajeshchand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
The Superb and Camry have much better of everything superficial, than the X1. This is ideal for a person, who wants to own a BMW badge and doesn't care for anything else. ( except the price)
That's harsh.

Anything else also would include driving dynamics dear Sir. X1 still is a joy to drive over Camry. I'd feel like a paid driver in the later one.

It is a big generalization that you make in your post. X1 is a good car for a young family that prefers self drive. Superb and Camry they have their own niche and generalizing that people will have just the badge as a deciding criteria for X1 is misfounded.
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
The Superb and Camry have much better of everything superficial, than the X1. This is ideal for a person, who wants to own a BMW badge and doesn't care for anything else. ( except the price)
Well, ride and handling itself is worth the price.
To drive home the point, there are vehicles costing lesser than Rs 10 lakh which have those features and comfort of Superb and Camry, so personally i never compare based on features anymore.
rajeshchand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 16:26   #22
BHPian

Never been a fan of the X1 and with this face-lift, I maintain the same sentiment. Apart from its goping looks, the X1 is not an SUV, MUV or an Estate/Wagon. What it is, is the car that brought BMW within reach of a huge population. That is all. This car is a way of moving about with the BMW snob value at the cheapest price. No offense to any X1 owner.

I mean, take for instance all keen drivers and enthusiasts. We all know the new F30 3-series is a far more superior car and looks absolutely stunning for a bit of extra money. The most common reason I have heard from people who've bought an X1 is just for the sake of it (heck, its a BMW) or perhaps the dealer had thrown in a very good deal or something. I'd heard of a discount of around 10 lakhs from a dealer in Mumbai for one of the outgoing models as a stock clearing exercise, before the new ones came in.

I mean, every car purchase has a standard requirement.

Say if you want a:
1. City run-about - A Hatchback
2. 7/8 Seats -The vast variety of MUV's & SUV's
3. Rear-seat travel to work - Mostly a luxury saloon, etc., etc.

Now stop for a moment and think why is it exactly that you need an X1 in your life? What is the core reason to justify its purchase?

You want driving dynamics and performance whats wrong with the 3-series? or if you are willing to compromise.. maybe a vRS Laura ?

We were on the lookout for an SUV. I was tempted by the X1's mouthwatering discounts and the fact remains that it is a BMW which is synonymous with driving dynamics. We ended up spending round about 28-29L on-road with the goodies on the Toyota Fortuner. The X1 just doesn't make any sense.

The X1 just tries too hard to prove that it is from a family of geniuses, when it actually is a village idiot, IMO. I mean, I have driven the outgoing car but I'm sorry but the ride was rubbish and the steering wheel though communicative needed iron hands to operate and the plastic quality was the most un-german one I have ever seen.

Regards,
Old 23rd March 2013, 16:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure why people compare a T Fort and an X1. The X1 for me is an ideal family run-about for the city - good diesel engine, auto tranny, good GC, comfy seating for 4, good luggage space and of course the badge. For my needs, the T-Fort is a complete waste and headache, I hate the unwieldy looks, and the engine is no match compared to the X1. Its got capabilities that does not appeal to me, I don't need a 7 seater etc etc. With the huge discount I got for the X1, it made a sensible buy.
No offence to anyone but people buy a car based on their individual needs and requirements, thats all.
dinu2506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 17:19   #24
BHPian

@ dinu2506 .. There really is no comparison between the X1 and the Fortuner. I'd like to ask you why did you go for the X1 against say the Skoda Superb? I mean, it has acres more space in terms of interior, legroom and boot. It has a spare wheel, a DSG Gearbox (which is superior to that of the outgoing 6-speed AT), it has loads and loads of features and it isn't exactly a slouch in terms of performance either and is cheaper.

My point is, this product (X1) offers more badge value than competition and that is where it has been a success.

Regards,
Old 23rd March 2013, 18:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

My primary needs were
1) Not too big for comfort
2) Excellent GC
3) Very good engine
4) Auto Box
5) Brand value

For me the X1 ticked more boxes than the Superb. I'm not trying to belittle any car here, just stressing the point that individual needs vary

I also recognised negatives for the Beemer but overlooked it because I had a way around it
1) Maintenance costs - Its covered by my company during the lease
2) Spare Tyre - Mostly runs in city
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 19:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
I'd like to ask you why did you go for the X1 against say the Skoda Superb? I mean, it has acres more space in terms of interior, legroom and boot. It has a spare wheel, a DSG Gearbox (which is superior to that of the outgoing 6-speed AT), it has loads and loads of features and it isn't exactly a slouch in terms of performance either and is cheaper.

My point is, this product (X1) offers more badge value than competition and that is where it has been a success.
X1 and Superb… interesting!

Leave aside the X1 for a while, why should one go for an Audi A4 TDI instead of a Skoda Superb? Both have the same engine with similar output, the latter have acres of space and the advantage of DSG gearbox. Infact if I am looking for a car in this space, I may go for a Jetta which is 10 lakhs cheaper.

Majority of the buyers who get into this space of BMW will go and check around the competitors in the similar segment i.e.; an Audi or a Merc. As you mentioned, the brand value plays a big role in the buying decision.
For me the X1 is more like a slightly beefed up version of the BMW 3-series tourer, especially with the fact that we don't get the xDrive in India. But even though the immediate competitor Q3 looks more of an SUV, I feel the X1 is pretty good to give a fight with this facelift.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 19:30   #27
BHPian

Would not a lot of the argument and debate here depend on one's needs? x1 and Fortuner are 2 very different markets no?
Just my understanding.
Old 23rd March 2013, 19:41   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW has done a decent job with this facelift. Given the price and better GC, it has its place in a city like Bangalore with terrible roads and zillion speed breakers.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2014, 12:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Interiors:

You can change the colour of the instrument cluster from the standard orange to white.
Attachment 1063443
How exactly do you do this? Afaik you can only adjust the brightness. Haven't found instructions to change to white

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks