Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2006, 14:27   #1
BHPian

JD Power : Low rating for Baleno

In maruti showrooms we can see a lot of posters and also news print where maruti talks about being rated #1 in india by JD power.

Now lets see the negatives mentioned by JD power about baleno.

As per the report below about "initial vehicle quality"
http://www.jdpa.com/pdf/2004198.pdf

vehicle quality in india is on a decline largely due to "low FE". So this report confirms that indians are very concerned about FE. Now in the midsize segment the report says "problems per 100 cars" is as follows.

1. Honda city - 96
2. Accent - 167
3. Baleno - 169

So baleno has the highest problems reported. This report is by same "JD power" which maruti keeps referring to. The difference between 'honda city' and 'baleno' is staggering 96 problems v/s 169 problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Vehicle ratings on JD power
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also if you look at the rating (on a scale of 5) for 10 different parameters listed below...

Mechanical Quality
Performance
Feature & Accessory
Quality
Comfort
Body & Interior Quality
Features & Instrument Panel
Overall Quality
Style
Service Experience
Overall Appeal

[reference : http://www.jdpower.com/jdpcc/global/...leSelector.jsp choose the vehicle and you can see the ratings i have mentioned below.]

1. Honda city - has got 5/5 for 9 parameters and 3/5 for 1 parameter(service experience)
Total = 48/50 points.

2. Baleno - has 3/5 for 4 parameters 4/5 on 5 parameters and 1 score of 5/5
Total = 37/50 points.

So honda wins thumbs down 48 points v/s 37 points for baleno.

All these data is provided by 'JD power' which maruti keeps talking about.
Old 17th May 2006, 14:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
So honda wins thumbs down 48 points v/s 37 points for baleno.
SO ? whats the point ? How many people actually understand or bother going through the JD power reports and how many take heed after going thruogh the report ?

Baleno still sells quite well - the deciding factor is THE PRICE. Its CHEAPER hence it sells.

I still maintain - If the Baleno was such a good car it should have sold in huge numbers like today when launched at 9 lacs too.
Old 17th May 2006, 14:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
In maruti showrooms we can see a lot of posters and also news print where maruti talks about being rated #1 in india by JD power.

Now lets see the negatives mentioned by JD power about baleno.

Yet another thread started by our very own Venkatrx in what is another one of those unsuccessful attempts to put down the Baleno I now feel that you spend more time talking about the negatives of the Baleno rather than actually driving it.

Soo you want to again talk of all the negative aspects of the car????? (which coming from you are not always true) Why don't you for a change even talk about the better reports of this car????? It will come as a real suprise for all of us though! Or wait a minute............maybe you don't like anything about the Baleno....

Last edited by prince85 : 17th May 2006 at 14:45.
Old 17th May 2006, 14:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
Yet another thread started by our very own Venkatrx in what is another one of those unsuccessful attempts to put down the Baleno I now feel that you spend more time talking about the negatives of the Baleno rather than actually driving it.

Soo you want to again talk of all the negative aspects of the car????? (which coming from you are not always true) Why don't you for a change even talk about the better reports of this car????? It will come as a real suprise for all of us though! Or wait a minute............maybe you don't like anything about the Baleno....
Great things about baleno
+ Great rear suspension
+ Great Seats
+ Great AC
no doubts about this, you can see this in a lot of my other posts.

FE : people talk a lot about great FE, fine but look at the report of JD edwards with main pain point being FE, baleno has 169 problems v/s 96 of honda.

Spares cost : people keep saying "baleno spares" are cheap, when i started a thread posting the parts like 'bumper', 'tail lamp' , 'head lamp' etc and found that baleno spares were 33k v/s 13 k for honda. Interesting baleno owners should have tried to raise a protest against maruti to reduce its prices, instead people started to say we should not consider these spares, but 'some other spares'.....buddy what spares, till date no one has posted 'some other spares' with comparitive costs. why not?

I have also observed that with out data or source references, people just say 'baleno is better', 'baleno spares are cheaper' ..... so i am giving the reference of JD power, which maruti also uses in its ads, to give the forum readers a good reliable source, which mentions about the problems faced by baleno.

as a owner of baleno i am open to hear both the positives and negatives, which should have reference of course. But i see that some just try to defend baleno which i find it strange, because a lot of times its done with out references.
Old 17th May 2006, 15:11   #5
BHPian

Who cares abt JD Power reports apart from its being a general reference?
What matters to a buyer is what a car delivers for its price...
If you are an owner who is so concerned abt a car's reputation/report by surveys then why did you but it ?

I find that most people believe what some people have to say (generally bad) about a certain car even though there are people who have never had any problems with said car.
Old 17th May 2006, 15:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Great things about baleno
+
Spares cost : people keep saying "baleno spares" are cheap, when i started a thread posting the parts like 'bumper', 'tail lamp' , 'head lamp' etc and found that baleno spares were 33k v/s 13 k for honda. Interesting baleno owners should have tried to raise a protest against maruti to reduce its prices, instead people started to say we should not consider these spares, but 'some other spares'.....buddy what spares, till date no one has posted 'some other spares' with comparitive costs. why not?

I have also observed that with out data or source references, people just say 'baleno is better', 'baleno spares are cheaper' ..... so i am giving the reference of JD power, which maruti also uses in its ads, to give the forum readers a good reliable source, which mentions about the problems faced by baleno.
You have the energy to run about to different service centers to find out comparison of spare parts then why don't you do it?? you own a baleno yourself as you say soo you can take the initiative..

Just by comparing some parts like head/tail lamps, bumpers etc is not enough>

Go and get prices of air filter, fuel filter, timing belt, fan belt, brake pads, A/c evaporator coil, Front suspension struts, Clutch plate, Pressure Plate, Front fender, bonnet, radiator, Doors and other spare parts which you can think off and then compare them to the NHC or any other car in its segment. Then i would like to see your reactions, then we can get a good idea as to which car sports an expensive basket of spare parts. You blame Baleno owners for not posting prices of more spare parts??? Frankly i doubt any one has the time to do that. If you have a problem then why don't you do it yourself???? Go and get the prices of the above mentioned parts and then lets see which car has the most expensive spare parts. But before you do that i suggest you shut your crap about Baleno having the most expensive set of spare parts without proving it.

I agree for some reason baleno BS!!! head and tail lamps are expensive but with that limited data that you have you cannot conclude that Baleno's spare parts are expensive

Last edited by prince85 : 17th May 2006 at 15:19.
Old 17th May 2006, 15:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FE : people talk a lot about great FE, fine but look at the report of JD edwards with main pain point being FE, baleno has 169 problems v/s 96 of honda.
The report is on quality as a whole and does not indicate that the car with low problems has better FE. Baleno coming third among the three does not mean that Baleno has the least FE of the 3, if that is what you understood from the report. The City beats Baleno in FE, but then the Baleno beats the Accent. So going by your explanation, the order should have been City, Baleno and Accent.
BTW, this is a 2004 report. Do you have anything more recent which would include the latest C segment cars like Aveo, Fiesta etc. That would be interesting and useful, instead of quoting a report that is 2 years old.

Quote:
Samurai (as a response to your post, in another thread) mentioned that the latest autocar survey has again listed Baleno as having the cheapest spares. Why not go and check that out, instead of quoting prices of 5 parts of the hundreds that a car has ?
BTW, it would be great to have that report online ?

Quote:
You know what, you did not do your homework properly before buying the car. Have a look at that advt and see whether Maruti used JD power ratings for Baleno anywhere. I also saw their brochures listing the JD POwer surveys, but then either it was in general for MUL or for certain cars like WagonR, Esteem etc.

Quote:
as a owner of baleno i am open to hear both the positives and negatives, which should have reference of course. But i see that some just try to defend baleno which i find it strange, because a lot of times its done with out references.
OK, so you can go around with wild allegations about its FE and those of us who are using it for sometime now, should not point out the error ? Is that what you say ? You did the big FE thread to find out the Baleno's FE ? The majority mentioned 12kmpl and still you ask a new car buyer to use 9kmpl for his cost calculations. What reference went into action there ? What is the reference for FE in cars ? No manufacturer mentions it like in the case of bikes. There is no easy way to measure it like in the case of bikes. So, what is the reference ? Only what people are getting on their car. That is what you got in your poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
If you are an owner who is so concerned abt a car's reputation/report by surveys then why did you buy it ?
Nice question. Normal people would do the research before buying the car. What use is citing surveys after having put your money down ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th May 2006 at 15:33.
Old 17th May 2006, 15:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
You have the energy to run about to different service centers to find out comparison of spare parts then why don't you do it?? you own a baleno yourself as you say soo you can take the initiative..
i had called up the service center to the spares prices, no running around required.

i have quoted the spares cost of a few parts which are very clearly exhorbitant. Now you claim other spares will be cheap, so you list them and prove your point.

Quote:
But before you do that i suggest you shut your crap about Baleno having the most expensive set of spare parts without proving it.
I advise you to mind your language and talk sensibly. Arguments must be logical and not personal.

Quote:
I agree for some reason baleno BS!!! head and tail lamps are expensive but with that limited data that you have you cannot conclude that Baleno's spare parts are expensive
So please help the general public by comparing the prices of what ever you think are the "right spares".
Old 17th May 2006, 15:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
You know what, you did not do your homework properly before buying the car. Have a look at that advt and see whether Maruti used JD power ratings for Baleno anywhere. I also saw their brochures listing the JD POwer surveys, but then either it was in general for MUL or for certain cars like WagonR, Esteem etc.
YOu are right, maruti uses the "JD power" data selectively to suit it well. And this thread exactly points out the rating given to baleno by the same "JD power" which puts hondacity and accent above baleno.
Old 17th May 2006, 15:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

First thinsg first, whihc Honda City are they comparing with the Baleno ? I mean there have been 3 generations of the city(the current being the 4th generation) & just one model of Baleno since the day it has been launched.

I am sure you will agree that the more time the car is on road the more problems you will find. I mean can you compare a car which is there in market for just 2 years or so with a car which has been on road since almost ages.

Problems surface as & when the car ages.

I must agree with prince that all you do over the various threads is point of mistakes in the Baleno, somehow I feel either you dont own one or you are highly dissastisfied but then thats your view about Baleno.

may be I am wrong about you but then you are looking at glass half empty than glass half full.

More reasonable comparo would be between the Accent & Baleno since they are almost same, age wise & I Believe more Accents have been sold than Baleno yet the difference in number of issues is just 2.
Old 17th May 2006, 15:40   #11
BHPian

Hey venky, jus a few answers to your questions

i had called up the service center to the spares prices, no running around required.

Good for you,make a detailed comparison and come to your verdict only after its done

i have quoted the spares cost of a few parts which are very clearly exhorbitant. Now you claim other spares will be cheap, so you list them and prove your point.

Why should i???and when did i say they are cheap??? i just told you to compare prices of a lot of spare parts before arriving to the decision and just coming to a conclusion that the Baleno basket of spare parts are expensive compared to the NHC

I advise you to mind your language and talk sensibly. Arguments must be logical and not personal.

I apologise if you took it personally my friend, your point made no sense to me and i don't think i used foul language for you too feel soo

So please help the general public by comparing the prices of what ever you think are the "right spares".

I suggest you do that since you are the one here complaining about expensive spare parts of the Baleno

Last edited by prince85 : 17th May 2006 at 15:43.
Old 17th May 2006, 15:48   #12
BHPian

Ha ha ha. Looks like a war has erupted between Balenoists and anti-Balenoists.
Let's see what do we get in the end. For me, the best thing about the Baleno is the engine. Which manufacturer would give you a 16 V inline 4 1.6L for about 5.5 lakhs? And that too with a killer AC? I agree it's quite ugly from the rear. But I can live with that.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 17th May 2006 at 15:52.
Old 17th May 2006, 15:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:

I suggest you do that since you are the one here complaining about expensive spare parts of the Baleno
I posted a thread which had data and phone references with dealer from whom the prices were got which all agreed to that the prices were correct. I have put my view that with this data baleno spares are expensive.

Now if you want to prove otherwise, please go ahead and do so. Now its your argument time. You need to argue with proper data
Old 17th May 2006, 15:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno

Samurai (as a response to your post, in another thread) mentioned that the latest autocar survey has again listed Baleno as having the cheapest spares. Why not go and check that out, instead of quoting prices of 5 parts of the hundreds that a car has ?
There you go venkat, why don't you have a look at the latest autocar survey of spareparts.??? You will get a better idea since it will cover a variety of spare parts

I don't have to present any arguments for you to believe anything. Have a look at the way ACI looks at it and you will finally get peace. But in any case if they are wrong in the prices then go sue ACI

Last edited by prince85 : 17th May 2006 at 15:56.
Old 17th May 2006, 16:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I don't have to present any arguments for you to believe anything.
Then with out data why were you trying to prove that 'baleno spares are cheap'
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks