Team-BHP - XUV500 to Add Cheaper and Expensive Variants
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   XUV500 to Add Cheaper and Expensive Variants (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/134464-xuv500-add-cheaper-expensive-variants.html)

Read this a while ago on Rediff:

http://www.rediff.com/business/slide...s/20130329.htm

But there is no mention of what these variants will or will not have.

What will be the higher variant sporting? I hope Mahindra will bring in an automatic version of the XUV and its high time now. Maybe they should also provide a sunroof.:)

This will really be good move if they do it. Seems like they will cutting on shiny features with same engine and gearbox. A bare-bone XUV to take on with Duster, sounds really interesting.

More details on,
http://www.carzy.co.in/blog/car-news...nts-1759.html/

This is actually good news but contradicting what Pawan had said. He said Cheaper variants or a W2 is not feasible on XUV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPK (Post 3085141)
This will really be good move if they do it. Seems like they will cutting on shiny features with same engine and gearbox. A bare-bone XUV to take on with Duster, sounds really interesting.

More details on,
http://www.carzy.co.in/blog/car-news...nts-1759.html/

Quote:

Originally Posted by scopriobharath (Post 3085311)
This is actually good news but contradicting what Pawan had said. He said Cheaper variants or a W2 is not feasible on XUV.

Why would they add a cheaper variant of XUV 5OO, when they have a 5 seater version planned to directly fight against Duster/ Ecosport?

Expensive version i believe should be the automatic - now that they have resolved their vendor issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3085393)
Why would they add a cheaper variant of XUV 5OO, when they have a 5 seater version planned to directly fight against Duster/ Ecosport?

Personally I think this is indeed a great move. I think new 5 seater SUV will be pitched (price wise) against Ecosports(petrol) and Duster (petrol and 85 ps diesel) models. And for higher models this new base XUV5OO comes into picture.
I always felt XUV (even W6) has way too many bells and whistles. So W4 (2Airbags, ABS EDB, All Disc breaks, ACC) it will surely attract few more customers. As of today XUV W6 costs 13.95L pune on road. So if they come up with W4 for around 12.5L its game on. Well this could turn out to be a speculation. But if it's real, and I have to put my 12.5L, I would definitely put it on base XUV (W4) instead of Duster (110 RxL).

So to sum up, by adding base XUV and new 5 seater SUV, mahindra definitely seem to cannibalize Duster and Ecosports (looking at the recent sales figures, this is the only segment sounds promicing other than regular SUV segment).

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3085393)
Expensive version i believe should be the automatic - now that they have resolved their vendor issues.

"automatic" is the only thing I found missing in XUV range. But I remember reading somewhere that XUV automatic is not coming before 2015. Will love to see it early though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPK (Post 3085592)
Personally I think this is indeed a great move. I think new 5 seater SUV will be pitched (price wise) against Ecosports(petrol) and Duster (petrol and 85 ps diesel) models. And for higher models this new base XUV5OO comes into picture.
I always felt XUV (even W6) has way too many bells and whistles. So W4 (2Airbags, ABS EDB, All Disc breaks, ACC) it will surely attract few more customers. As of today XUV W6 costs 13.95L pune on road. So if they come up with W4 for around 12.5L its game on. Well this could turn out to be a speculation. But if it's real, and I have to put my 12.5L, I would definitely put it on base XUV (W4) instead of Duster (110 RxL).

So to sum up, by adding base XUV and new 5 seater SUV, mahindra definitely seem to cannibalize Duster and Ecosports (looking at the recent sales figures, this is the only segment sounds promicing other than regular SUV segment).

"automatic" is the only thing I found missing in XUV range. But I remember reading somewhere that XUV automatic is not coming before 2015. Will love to see it early though.

After the last post - I've been thinking more about this cheaper variant - and guess what - I agree with you.

XUV 5OO was always a fantastic car, and can hold its own against Duster. With just ABS, airbags, powerwindows and music system and ACC - there are lot less electronics to go wrong. Infact - it would be my most favourite version of the XUV range. :D

I had always been wondering about such a possibility of a cheaper variant of XUV500. Just when I was surfing through various websites, I shockingly came to know that the top end Innova, with way lesser goodies compared to the XUV, is nearly a lac costlier than the XUV W8 (2WD), that too with the XUV having a way better engine, gearbox, cruising capability, safety and features!!!! :FrustratiThat is absolutely ridiculous and still the Innova manages a sales figure twice that of the XUV. The only two reasons I could think of were

1. Innova has lower variants that are cheaper than the XUV W6 which attract buyers looking just for a spacious MUV.
2. The solid reliability Toyota vehicles offer in general.

If Mahindra brings out variants close to th 11 lac mark, it would definitely be a serious threat to vehicles like the Duster, upcoming EcoSport and even to the Upper C segment sedans!! :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmuzik (Post 3085920)
I had always been wondering about such a possibility of a cheaper variant of XUV500. Just when I was surfing through various websites, I shockingly came to know that the top end Innova, with way lesser goodies compared to the XUV, is nearly a lac costlier than the XUV W8 (2WD), that too with the XUV having a way better engine, gearbox, cruising capability, safety and features!!!! :FrustratiThat is absolutely ridiculous and still the Innova manages a sales figure twice that of the XUV. The only two reasons I could think of were

1. Innova has lower variants that are cheaper than the XUV W6 which attract buyers looking just for a spacious MUV.
2. The solid reliability Toyota vehicles offer in general.

If Mahindra brings out variants close to th 11 lac mark, it would definitely be a serious threat to vehicles like the Duster, upcoming EcoSport and even to the Upper C segment sedans!! :uncontrol

I have around 7 people in my circle, out of which 3 of them have already sold their XUV's. One of them even sold it In 6 months. Out of the rest 4 one of them sometimes thinks of selling his but doesn't because of the loss.Rest 3 are satisfied.

Those who have sold it , did so due to numerous problems. I don't want to go in a debate on what kind of problems, but they were justified enough for them to sell the car and bear the loss, when they bought the car so lovingly.

I also like the looks of XUV much more than Innova and especially the image of XUV.

But after a year or so of XUV reviews, i would still put my money on an Innova even if it offers me less than half the bells and whistles of an XUV at a higher cost.
Peace of mind is prime importance to me and must be for a lot of others.

Cheaper variant of the XUV500 will be a good move, maybe a W4 variant with less number of electronic stuff, which may atleast make feel it much more niggle free to live with.
Or in fact Mahindra can work on all new Scorpio which should obviously be priced lower than their flagship XUV500.

With a cheaper version won't Mahindra be cannibalising the Scorpio? I had read that they are also looking at an all new Scorpio. Guess this is an attempt to grab market share in the interim period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2max6 (Post 3086001)
I have around 7 people in my circle, out of which 3 of them have already sold their XUV's. One of them even sold it In 6 months. Out of the rest 4 one of them sometimes thinks of selling his but doesn't because of the loss.Rest 3 are satisfied.

I have seen the same story at the local Mahindra dealerships. Pays upfront & gets the W8, comes 2-3 days later & asks the Car to be exchanged in lieu of a Scorpio Vlx. Apart from the dealership, have seen 3-4 people selling their within a week to a month of purchase.

And to those whom I could ask, they weren't really ready with answers. A standard & random answer - Gaadi pasand nahin aayi. Translated - Didn't like the Car. No whys... Strange.

Please excuse if this post is found to be OT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhar24 (Post 3086031)
Cheaper variant of the XUV500 will be a good move, maybe a W4 variant with less number of electronic stuff, which may atleast make feel it much more niggle free to live with.
Or in fact Mahindra can work on all new Scorpio which should obviously be priced lower than their flagship XUV500.

On the other hand, a friend who works with mahindra told an year or so ago, that the all new scorpio is already under development and would end up above XUV 5OO.

I don't have much info after that though. But looking at the way Mahindra is covering the lower segments, they can go higher up easily.

The new Scorpio is speculated to hit the market in mid/end '14 IIRC.

I just hope they retain the sweet nature of the M-Hawk engine (the drivability) & provide a 6th Overdrive gear for cruising. No changes to engine please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 3086112)
The new Scorpio is speculated to hit the market in mid/end '14 IIRC.

I just hope they retain the sweet nature of the M-Hawk engine (the drivability) & provide a 6th Overdrive gear for cruising. No changes to engine please.

They could always improve the Scorpio's drivetrain. Also, some suspension and handling changes would be very welcome. Mahindra has a lot to learn from XUV that it can apply on other vehicles.