Team-BHP - SCOOP : VW Golf Spotted Testing In Pune, India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   SCOOP : VW Golf Spotted Testing In Pune, India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/134472-scoop-vw-golf-spotted-testing-pune-india.html)

I was driving from Pune to Mumbai and stopped in-between for refreshments (Actually stopped to avoid the fine on the expressway :D)

Suddenly this beauty came. It was driven by a German(?) gentleman from VW.
SCOOP : VW Golf Spotted Testing In Pune, India-1.jpg

He saw my Vento and asked how the car is? The engine is one of the best etc.
It seems they purposefully made shorter gear ratios for Vento due to Indian traffic condition (frequent gear changing)

This VW Golf is a 1.4L TSi example with 150 horses on the tap.
SCOOP : VW Golf Spotted Testing In Pune, India-2.jpg

They are actually testing this golf because Skoda's new Octavia is soon going to be launched with the same engine option.
There was no need of camouflaging this as golf is released world wide
SCOOP : VW Golf Spotted Testing In Pune, India-3.jpg

They do not have any plans to launch this car in India as of now :mad:

* Mods please merge the thread wherever applicable *

Seems like you got lucky, mikon.
That said, i still feel it is a little too late for Volkswagen to introduce the Golf in India, although it has been available at the global market for a long time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikon (Post 3081783)

They do not have any plans to launch this car in India as of now :mad:

Thanks for the scoop mikon. It's a right hand drive car that i can see here, so can't really rule out that they don't have any plan for India release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajusherief (Post 3081823)
Thanks for the scoop mikon. It's a right hand drive car that i can see here, so can't really rule out that they don't have any plan for India release.

That's true; however the no-launch plans was confirmed by the gentleman himself. It comes with a very higher price tag too. Fingers crossed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikon (Post 3081825)
It comes with a very higher price tag too.

Prices will definitely be on the higher side, but I think they should launch it at least for popularizing the brand name like they did with Beetles.

Quote:

This VW Golf is a 1.4L TSi example with 150 horses on the tap.
Attachment 1068002

That 150PS 1.4L TSi engine is very interesting. I say interesting because while the displacement is same as the 1.4L Jetta, the 150PS output is only possible with the twin charger option. Which means it has a super charger as well as turbocharger.

What's even more intriguing is as per VW, the 150PS option need 98RON ULSP (Ultra low sulphur petrol) and minimum requirement is 95RON but performance will be reduced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3ofil4us (Post 3081793)
Seems like you got lucky, mikon.
That said, i still feel it is a little too late for Volkswagen to introduce the Golf in India, although it has been available at the global market for a long time.

Yes, My refreshment/fine avoiding stop got me lucky:D
With that engine configuration, its never late! (though price is a different issue)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3081834)
That 150PS 1.4L TSi engine is very interesting. I say interesting because while the displacement is same as the 1.4L Jetta, the 150PS output is only possible with the twin charger option. Which means it has a super charger as well as turbocharger.

Indeed, it seems the car was ripped properly in the exressway. It will be driven to other parts of the state as well.

Thanks for the awesome scoop.

Although its good to see a Golf on our road's, I am happy that VW has no plans of launching it in India. The Golf is an expensive car and our market, as of now is not matured enough to spend 10+ lakhs on a hatch-back. Also It will be a shame to see an awesome car go to waste because of moronic import costs .

However it is good to note that they are testing the new 1.4 TSI engine :thumbs up.

The Golf is one of my favourite car's & I would love to see it in India but yea, you did get lucky spotting this beauty.

I think it's time VW started thinking of launching the Golf here. Very soon we will have the Mercedes A class, BMW 1 & Audi A3 over here for a little over 20 lakhs, hopefully, the premium big three with break our resistance to expensive hatchback's at which time, VW can launch this car at about 14-15 lakhs On road.

Quote:

They are actually testing this golf because Skoda's new Octavia is soon going to be launched with the same engine option.

Can't buy that. The same engine option is already there is Jetta. Although it produces a lot less power, it is easier to retune the one on Jetta to 150bhp rather than bring in a golf. It sounds like bringing a Bofors cannon to kill a mosquito. :p

I have a sneaking suspicion that they will launch the Golf sometime later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit (Post 3081876)
VW can launch this car at about 14-15 lakhs On road.

The Laura Vrs with the 1.8L Tsi is a sweeter deal.
I think, the golf should make its way to India but at a different price point or engine option.

Golf 1.8 Tsi - 10L
Golf 2.0 Tdi - 11L

And spare us the unnecessary electronic junk.

Thanks Mikon for the great scoop.
It would be great if VW launches the Golf in India because the only word that is used to describe the Golf is "legendary". It would be great to have a car like that being sold in India.

Pricing is a different thing altogether. If the Mini can find buyers at that price point, yes it does have more oomph value than the golf, I still think that a Golf priced in the 10-12 lakh range could find buyers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxyzen (Post 3081899)
The Laura Vrs with the 1.8L Tsi is a sweeter deal.
I think, the golf should make its way to India but at a different price point or engine option.

Golf 1.8 Tsi - 10L
Golf 2.0 Tdi - 11L

And spare us the unnecessary electronic junk.

The Vento is already selling here at about 10-11 lakhs, I don't think VW would want to pit their premium hatchback against a made for developing country car, at the same time they can't pitch it higher then the Jetta as it will result in the usual 'hatch more expensive then sedan' mindset in Indian's ensuring that the Golf doesn't take off as well as it deserves to.

Quote:

(Actually stopped to avoid the fine on the expressway :D)

:OT Am sorry, but to avoid fine? What fine? Have never been on the expressway so pardon if I sound like a moronstupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by revintup (Post 3081919)
:OT Am sorry, but to avoid fine? What fine? Have never been on the expressway so pardon if I sound like a moronstupid:

I guess they calculate time taken to cover the distance between 2 toll gates and find the average speed. If its greater than the allowed speed limit (+ some percentage), you will be fined for over-speeding. Say for example the distance between 2 toll gates is 50Kms and you cover the distance in 30 mins, that means your avg speed is 100kmph which is above the speed limit. So you will be fined for over-speeding. Stopping in between adds time and you will not be fined.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3081834)

What's even more intriguing is as per VW, the 150PS option need 98RON ULSP (Ultra low sulphur petrol) and minimum requirement is 95RON but performance will be reduced.

I maybe wrong, but believe this should be a regular turbocharged Mk7 Golf with 1.4 TSI 140ps. In the 2013 models, it looks like the base 1.4TSI will have an output of 140ps, and 2.0 TDI will have 150ps.