Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 05:43   #1
BHPian

Jaguar Land Rover to supply Tata with Small Engines?

Jaguar Land Rover announced it might supply Tata with its diesel engines and small 2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol, which the company is currently developing in the UK.

Ralf Speth (CEO, Jaguar Land Rover) -- We are open for synergies but if we look at the segments we operate in, there is not much scope for outright joint product development. They are a capable small car maker and we are not experts at that. But in terms of technology, engines... we can have commonalities. We can deliver engines to them for sure, including the smaller ones that we are developing.

Ralf Speth (Geneva, Tue - Mar 05, 2013)

Without the Tata Group, Jaguar Land Rover would not have been alive. We did not get any help from the UK government. Not even a letter of support. What Tata Group then did was phenomenal. They made the turnaround happen. We owe them everything and are trying to pay back for the trust they had in us.

Tata Motors and JLR will benefit from each other by sharing engines and understanding various processes, he said, adding that JLR will also seek support from other Tata group companies, including Tata Consultancy Services Ltd, India’s largest software services firm.

The two companies are very different in the segments that we operate, but there is a possibility to create direct synergies.

There are a lot of opportunities. Maybe in the future we can share one of our engines with Tatas. We are developing our engines (four-cylinder and 2-litre engines) and one of them can be shared with them, he said, adding that the engines could be manufactured in India at a later stage. In addition to that we are in the process of understanding each other’s processes in terms of products or qualities or whatever.
rubicon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Jaguar Land Rover to supply Tata with Small Engines?

Any idea what kind of engines they are developing?

As for the diesels, Tatas are already known for making a few good ones. As for petrols, the deregulated prices might make it unattractive in the short term. Now that petrol is actually getting cheaper and the diesel is not (in relative terms), it will be interesting to see how this development will proceed.
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:41   #3
BHPian

This is definitely a sigh of relief for TATA when reliability is an issue for them. I wish they contribute a bit towards styling and fit & Finish too.
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
This is definitely a sigh of relief for TATA when reliability is an issue for them. I wish they contribute a bit towards styling and fit & Finish too.
I beg to differ, i think Tata engines and transmission lasts a long time, its just that the entire car isnt well put together.

I have been hearing about this from a long time and I think its a mere speculation on the JLR engines.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I beg to differ, i think Tata engines and transmission lasts a long time, its just that the entire car isnt well put together..
I might be wrong in generalizing it, but at least what I've seen from 2 of my friends (and heard from many, though no personal interaction) who owns an Indica V2, literally they have an engine leak through gaskets both running at around 40k Kms now.
sajusherief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jaguar Land Rover to supply Tata with Small Engines?

JLR engines on Tata cars ? Its going to rip the whole car apart.

Article talks about 2 ltr petrol engine and I am wondering why Tata needs such a massive petrol engine ? for a new Indica 150BHP ?

What JLR can do is invite the tata top executives, slap them on both cheeks and ask them to focus on product as a whole !!

Tata motors is going down and last thing they needed was engines !! they already have CR4 and FIAT is supplying smaller engines isnt it ?
rajshenoy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

There has been a lot of speculation that Tata will get Land Rovers T5 platform and shift the production of the next gen Defender to India, if that is the case then good chances they will go for JLR powerplants than their own.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-india-2.html
Old 2nd April 2013, 22:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I beg to differ, i think Tata engines and transmission lasts a long time, its just that the entire car isnt well put together.

I have been hearing about this from a long time and I think its a mere speculation on the JLR engines.
+1. Moreover, JLR does not win contests when it comes to reliability. They used to have a reputation of being notoriously unreliable till about few years back. Though it has improved in recent times, they still dont set benchmarks. I had a first generation Freelander, it was plagued by coolant leaking into combustion chamber through a faulty engine head gasket (can you believe it??!!). There were other issues related to engine electricals, emissions as well.
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:37   #9
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a odd one, Tata managed to bring JLR back from the dead but is itself now doing so badly in India. JLR it using Ford engines presently but has major investments towards developing new engines. It makes for perfect logic if some of those engines can be use in TATA vehicle of the future, but with TATA Motors make it to the future with the current sales run rate, there need something in the interim as well.

The New TATA vehicle with JLR engines would then have an engine cover than says "Powered by JAG" or "JLR Power" ? Interesting.

The TATA vehicles are good, but need a product and image refresh and better marketing.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
JLR it using Ford engines presently but has major investments towards developing new engines. It makes for perfect logic if some of those engines can be use in TATA vehicle of the future, but with TATA Motors make it to the future with the current sales run rate, there need something in the interim as well.
If above is the case, then it is looking too far into the future. Engines are not the problem at Tata. The problem is new & relevant products. Where is Tata on that count?

@Rubicon : Can you share the source of the article?
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjunair5 View Post

+1. Moreover, JLR does not win contests when it comes to reliability. They used to have a reputation of being notoriously unreliable till about few years back. Though it has improved in recent times, they still dont set benchmarks. I had a first generation Freelander, it was plagued by coolant leaking into combustion chamber through a faulty engine head gasket (can you believe it??!!). There were other issues related to engine electricals, emissions as well.
That was the Rover engine design fault. Things moved on after Ford took over
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:02   #12
BANNED

Brilliant. So the Tata's will also have good engines to replace the (mostly) agricultural stuff at the moment where petrol is concerned. As for Diesel FIAT will not have a total monopoly. Also, 2L will expand on the base of the ubiquitous MJD. It may be better suited to SUV/MUV type of products.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 22:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Read in yesterday's paper (or was it today's) about the new chairman of Tata, Cyrus Mistry giving the traditional 1st April address. There was another article on how Karl Slym has been put in charge of turning around the Tata (mis)fortunes in India, and how he is putting in place a new management structure and policy changes to ensure better product quality.

Hopefully they should be able to turn things around. A company that makes a wonderful car like the Nano deserves better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks