Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 17:40   #16
BHPian

Re: The "Low Mileage" Car Thread! How low is your running?

This thread seems to be a perfect place for my car to be in and I bet she would be in the top lowest's list.
My car- M800(1997 make)
Km clocked- 49k
Time span- 15 years!!
The main reason for the low running is that my father was in civil service back then and had his own official car and after his retirement plus not so good driving skills, prefers scooter instead of car and my college being in other city, prefers the bus indeed of her. She is just used for occasional runs and will ever not be replaced due to emotional values but the new car will be added once I get my own job. As far as condition is concerned, she is just pristine as we take care of her service according to the time limits instead of km limits mentioned in the manual.
Old 4th April 2013, 17:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

1985 M800 - Sold in 2004 with 52K kms only in 19 years = ~2700kms / year
2007 Swift - Current odo is 25K in 6 years = ~4000kms / year
2010 A-Star - Current odo is 10K in 2.3 years = ~4200kms / year

The Swift & A-Star are primarily used by Dad & FIL respectively and both use it very sparingly, preferring their gearless-scooters for local rounds.
Infact, if not for me using these cars once in a while just so they run, the odo would have been much lower for both cars.

The highest usage has been on our 1999-M800 (85K kms in 14 years = ~6000kms / year) and 2005-Baleno (67K in 8 years = 8300kms / year).
And this only because these are used daily for a 40km drive to/from work by my sis and me respectively.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 4th April 2013 at 18:06.
Old 4th April 2013, 17:59   #18

I know someone who bought a used Swift VXi that was 6 years old with 7000 km on the odometer! I don't drive my Getz much, and have done 23000 km in 6.5 years. Perhaps that Swift owner sold it off out of embarrassment.
Old 4th April 2013, 18:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

My Zen at my parents place in Anand, Gujarat is a great example for the above topic.

It has been 9 years since we bought this beautiful driver friendly car.

However, as of date, the ODO reads a 27,513 kms...

Thats a paltry 3057 kms/ year or a mere per day average of 8.37 kms.

On the other hand, cars with me do not have that luxury.

Fiat Uno- 13,700 kms/6 months= 2283 kms/month(Sold)
Ford Ikon-43,500 kms/18 months=2416 kms/month(Sold)
Wagon R-22717 kms/13 months=1747 kms/month(Current)

The WR average being slightly lower as my wifey wass pregs and the travelling had come down substantially during the tenure...
Old 4th April 2013, 18:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
My 2008 swift diesel has done only 11k km. What was supposed to be a 20km/day commute turned into a 2km/day commute shortly after I bought it. Till 5 months back, it had still only done 8.5k. After the move to Bangalore, I've started driving a lot more but still only do 500-600km/month.

I dont really regret getting the diesel though - the main reason I bought it over the petrol was the face that it was much more fun to drive compared to old petrol power plant the Swift used to come with then.
I know exactly what you mean. My father's swift Vdi of oct '08 has just donee about 21500kms in the last 4.5yrs. His reason for buying a diesel is same as yours. He recently bought a city VMT and yet still feels thrilled by the boost provided by the swift.

PS: Since the city came in oct '12, Our average kms covered has literally doubled. 2000kms on both the swift and the city in the city in the last 6 months. whereas our previous average was about 2500 kms in 6 months over the last 4 yrs.
Old 4th April 2013, 18:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

The power delivery is quite rough on our car and since I have not driven another old generation Swift, I am not sure if the car has the full power it is supposed to either. The a/c condensor was replaced last year. The tires have lasted although its not certified anymore for high speed/long distance. Mileage is dismissal. From the last I drove , the engine was knocking in almost all gears, for which I wanted to a decarbonizing and changed plans when I read the thread on de-carbonizing on t-bhp and now it seems to have reduced by itself. There is a light clutch jerk as well when moving from standstill or slow speed.
Most of these I blame the A.S.S which we give the car to who I feel are not doing a complete job.
We too have the same problem in our A-Star which has run 9600 km in 4 years. The road noise from the stock JK Vectras has become terrible as the rubber has hardened. Also engine knocking is present and the low end torque is patheticThe A-Star gives a maximum fuel efficiency of 12 even under a light right foot. Is the poor low end torque a result of low running?
Old 4th April 2013, 19:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
We too have the same problem in our A-Star which has run 9600 km in 4 years. The road noise from the stock JK Vectras has become terrible as the rubber has hardened. Also engine knocking is present and the low end torque is patheticThe A-Star gives a maximum fuel efficiency of 12 even under a light right foot. Is the poor low end torque a result of low running?
I am not sure of the low end torque, but the other similar issues you have , seems to be the due to low running.

From what I know, the old 1.3 Swift engine and the 1 litre K series are both peppy engines and the low end is quite good on both. The low end torque remains good on the Swift and puts my Figo with a FFE and CAI to shame.
Old 4th April 2013, 19:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

I was seriously thinking of starting a thread on similar lines but you beat me to it.
I realised this when I was driving my beloved Linea T-Jet two days ago and since I bought it 14 months back I have clocked 6789 kms only.
I want to start a thread stating that what is the Actual per kilometer cost of ownership of the car by T-Bhpians.
To give an example, I bought the T-Jet for 8.60 Lac (incl accessories) - Today I may get 6.6 Lac (just a rough estimate) so cost till date is 2 Lac + 25000 spent by me on maintenance (Insurance) + Rs. 6/Km on Petrol (Petrol rate in Goa currently) + 40000 on interest on loan (total outgo divided by loan tenure)

It gives me a per km running cost of Rs. 45/KM
I could've reduced it to Rs. 32.50 had I done 10000 kms in the same period.

I know I am not stating anything new or something we don't know but this is how I look at actual car ownership cost.

The reasons for my clocking less mileage are :

1. Using of two-wheeler for nearby distances or if 1 or 2 passengers only.
2. No highway trips, long drives at all. (Though I love them very much).

Before I bought the T-Jet, I showed this calculation to my wife and she stopped complaining about me always preferring an old car. I had bought and sold pre-owned Santro Xing after using it for 1.5 yrs, Ford Fusion for 1.25 yrs and Ford Fusion+ is still lying with me and all the cars have similar mileage over the period.

I thought I will buy the T-Jet also pre-owned one but seeing the dismal sales figures knew I had a slim chance. Then came the offer, so took the plunge.

One more point to be noted that even if you try to act sensibly by using 2-wheeler or car-pool, it really hurts to see when you pay a 5-digit EMI just for having a car parked in your garage.

I have absolutely NO regret on my decision but I would say that if a car is bought, it must be used and if your usage is really low and even if you hire a cab after paying Rs.15/Km, its worth sometimes as you get a driver too.

Exception to this rule : The main reason due to which cars are bought in our country is lack of proper public transport system and that is also applicable here in Goa and secondly, Emergency situation. So the trend of lower driven cars will continue for sometime though our Govt. has started giving ads for car pools.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 21:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

1997 800 (bought july 97) .. close to 16 years done only 37.8K KM. It still has the original clutch plate,original starter motor and runs about just fine.60% highway driven on the Mumbai Goa Highway. I guess it remained unused much for many reasons.

1)Dad bought it close to retirement.So after his retirment we had limted resources to spend on fuel .
2)When i got a job,the pay sucked and the place was far off at Thane with a toll in between so did not use it much then.
3)When i got second job, well pay still sucked but i did use it once a week as that's all i could afford and the car was already 9 years old and distance was just 14Km to and fro.
3)When i finally got a decent job the car was 10 years old,the job was tiring and did not feel much driving.
4)When i got stablized in my current job ie with normal working hours the car got more 12 years old and i decided to get another car plus i have the company bus to travel.

All in all i feel i should have used this car much more as i have spent thousands and thousands on services ,repairs and modifications k&n conical and FFE etc.But i enjoyed whatever moment i spent with the car and even though the kms are limited the memories that i have with this car are limitless .I have a used Civic now and am determined not to let the same thing happen to it.Meanwhile the oldie sits around and gets driven around 10-20 kms a month on a budget of 200-300 rs of fuel for now.She is well taken care off and has also been recently serviced.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 23:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Our Punto 1.4 definitely finds a place on this thread. It's used 90% in the city and the odd Mysore - Bangalore highway trip.

Bought in June 2010 and the ODO now stands at ~10k ! Now with the Ertiga replacing our Bolero, I don't see the Punto clocking big miles at all.
Old 5th April 2013, 00:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good thread! My 2000 Santro, which we use everyday has run only 40k in 12+ yrs. And everything on it including tyres are OEM. Only battery, wiper blades and headlight bulbs were replaced once.

My 2010 civic ran just 18k in 3yrs.

Last edited by vasoo : 5th April 2013 at 00:16.
Old 5th April 2013, 00:19   #27
BHPian

This is a very good and different thread and my both cars are eligible for a mention here.

My first car was Indica Xeta which is a gift to my parents back at my native. They don't drive and hire a driver whenever they go long from our home and runs more whenever me or my sisters come home and take it out. On top, my father tells it is economical to hire a taxi than to hire a driver. So, off-late they are also not using it more frequently which is contributing for a low mileage. Even this mileage has a couple of long trips like Sabarimala trip, couple of Trichur - Salem trip.

Make/ Model - Tata Indica Xeta GLS
Date of Purchase - 2006 Dec 25
Current ODO reading - 28,913 KM

My drive at Chennai is Hyundai Accent Executive. This also has very low mileage and primary reason was work from home facility. So I go to office once in a fortnight and that is just 30KM to&fro. I was at Bangalore when I bought this car and moved to Chennai recently. The traffic at Bangalore is too much to handle and so all short trips were in bike. Since my car was petrol, a couple of trips were converted to bus/ train which otherwise would have been car trips. So the current odo reading would have been different if this was a diesel car.

Make/ Model - Hyundai Accent Executive
Date of Purchase - 2009 May 12
Current ODO reading - 27,928 KM
Old 5th April 2013, 08:48   #28
BHPian

My current cars and their mileage

1) 2012 VW Vento TDI HL - Purchased Aug 2012 - 6900 Km Used only for trips between Chennai and Pollachi when travelling with one dog

2) 2012 Maruti Wagon R - Purchased Oct 2012 - 1650 Km Used only for city commute to do shopping etc.

3) 2009 Innova GX 8 - Purchased July 2009 - 30000 Km Used exclusively while travelling with more than 1 dog , for dog shows etc.

4) 2006 Trax Judo 4x4 - May 2006 - 68000 Km - Used only to commute a few Kms in and around my farm (It used to be my only vehicle and thus racked up a lot of Kms initially ).

Even though I have 4 cars and I love cars, I absolutely hate driving. I find it very stressful and risky under our Indian conditions.

Of the lot above my new favourite is my Wagon R .
Old 5th April 2013, 08:56   #29
BHPian

My tata indigo was purchased in 2005. Till now it clocked 25K kms. - ie. around 3200 kms per year.

i know my running will be less. hence purchased a petrol one instead of diesel (many advised me to go for diesel). And I am happy with my decision.
Old 5th April 2013, 10:40   #30
BHPian

Oh looks like my mama's i10 will be one of the lowest running around. He has done only 6000 odd kms in more than 5.5 years. They use it only on the weekends or when everyone is traveling to the same destination.

Even Hyundai must be eagerly waiting when it is going to come for the next service

Most Viewed