Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2013, 14:56   #91
BHPian

Re: Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1

Skoda plays perfect for this one too! Thanks for retaining the enlarged boot which looks amazing when released, just love that feature of Octy.

Great car, however MID of old Laura (specially the Odo) was way better.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:00   #92
BHPian

Apart from design and features, is it true that the new Octavia will have a 1.6 TDI engine too, with differential tunings? Is Skoda aiming a large range of customers starting with 1.6 and closing with a full 2.0 litre engine? If so, will the features also be different drastically across engine options?

As of now, in Lucknow there is no Skoda dealer now, after the closure of the Commercial Auto. All the Rapids seen here are sold by Vishal Cars in Kanpur. Hope with the new Octavia, a new dealer also comes!

Vipin.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 15th April 2013 at 15:01.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:19   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
Apart from design and features, is it true that the new Octavia will have a 1.6 TDI engine too, with differential tunings? Is Skoda aiming a large range of customers starting with 1.6 and closing with a full 2.0 litre engine? If so, will the features also be different drastically across engine options?
IIRC, even the 2nd gen Octavia had 1.6 TDI option in other markets, but it was not made available in the Indian Laura. So not so sure if they will provide more engine options this time around.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:28   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Its the best looking car from Skoda`s stable imho. Looks amazing in white.
Btw i asked a sales executive from Skoda regarding its launch and he mentioned that its gonna be around Nov. Just my 2 cents.
November? Hell, that's way too far away. With all these recent sightings of the car, I was expecting a launch in the next month or two. It would be very disappointing if this is true. Here I was all excited about finally ending my year long wait and now it looks like I will have to wait another 6 months. Will call up the dealer here in Hyderabad and check. I really hope it's launched sooner than November.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:34   #95
BHPian

Had checked with the Mumbai dealer JMD over the phone, they (SE) are giving vague answers and are insisting the launch would be at the end of the year. I reckon Diwali is when they would launch this beauty.

However, there would be a minimum of three models i was told, the new Octavia, sure looks like another winner from Skoda Auto.
Old 15th April 2013, 17:11   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
Looks like a proper sunroof which can tilt and slide. Similar to the one on the Superb.
The way this is designed, looks like the glass opening will be much bigger than the Superb.

Semi-panoramic, if you will, for lack of a better word.
Old 15th April 2013, 17:32   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

^ A screenshot from Skoda's global website, surprising why are they calling this Panoramic
Because this is panoramic compared to the tiny sunroofs on the Laura and the Superb presently.
Old 15th April 2013, 18:18   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneet_ag View Post
The way this is designed, looks like the glass opening will be much bigger than the Superb.

Semi-panoramic, if you will, for lack of a better word.
Yes, the size definitely looks bigger than the current Laura and the Superb. What I meant was it is not just a closed moonroof but a proper sunroof with slide and tilt function. Though a panaromic sunroof is usually a one which covers the entire roof but still this will be a segment first in its class here in India, if it is launched in the current form. Also I do not know how practical it will be to use in hot Indian conditions. I have rarely used the sunroof on my Superb after the initial fad.
Old 15th April 2013, 18:26   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Yes, the size definitely looks bigger than the current Laura and the Superb........ I have rarely used the sunroof on my Superb after the initial fad.
I agree that once the novelty wears off, we end up not using it. However, it will be indeed a segment first and can influence the buying decision. I see a lot of Merc C's and E's with the panoramic option. It does add to spacious feeling inside the car, although in our hot conditions might not be practical.
Old 15th April 2013, 22:46   #100
BHPian

Here's a video review by Auto Express. The review car has beige color interiors as seen in the spy shots posted here.

BigBrad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 11:12   #101
Senior - BHPian

The more videos I watch of this sedan the more urge I get to buy it.

Now that I have made up my mind I look forward to a confirmed news for the launch of this car.

I hope we get the parcel shelf removal and slot it in feature as it will be very handy.

Just cant wait to buy one now.
Old 16th April 2013, 13:09   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
Had checked with the Mumbai dealer JMD over the phone,

However, there would be a minimum of three models i was told, the new Octavia, sure looks like another winner from Skoda Auto.
And no news about the engine options yet, from the diesel stable?

Vipin.
Old 16th April 2013, 13:47   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
And no news about the engine options yet, from the diesel stable?

Vipin.
Nope, I am waiting too. The only news we had was a 'guesstimate' from ACI that the diesel will come in two states of tune. 120 and 150 bhp. And petrol 140 and 175 bhp. Most people on the web started speculating, but in reality, most of them are uninformed.

So, the real answer is 'We don't know yet!'
Old 16th April 2013, 13:52   #104
BHPian

It looks amazing. I have been an Octavia fan ever since the older generation was launched here.

The current king of the D segment is the new Elantra.

Now how can Skoda hit the jackpot? By doing the following:
1. Launch the Octavia at D1 Segment price for the base variant, say 15L ex-showrrom Delhi.
2. Skoda Shield does not cut it. Announce a comprehensive service package a la GM's 3 year promise. It should cover all consumables, parts and labor for a single fixed payment during the purchase of the car. It will bring back confidence in the brand. Make this an agreement between Skoda India and the buyer.
3. Give a guarantee of rapid parts availability, say within 7 days for any part.
SedatedDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 13:52   #105
Senior - BHPian

Just to clarify things once again, Earlier it was mentioned that the european rapid is the next gen octavia and it would be called as Rapid in europe and octavia in india since Skoda india had already used that name for the vento clone.

But this is not correct. The european rapid and the new octavia are completely different cars and they are selling alongside each other in Europe. India will not get this european rapid any time soon. And the new octavia is the only one that is being tested and about to be launched shortly.

My question though is, If this new octavia is based on the MQB platform then what about the european rapid? Is it an all new car or is it based on another VW / skoda platform? It looks like a size smaller than the new octavia and bigger than the indian rapid / vento.

Last edited by motorworks : 16th April 2013 at 14:04.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks