Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 22:32   #1
BHPian

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1

Mod Note : Team-BHP's Official Skoda Octavia Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

Thanks!

Saw the Skoda Octavia TSI in red color in Bangalore yesterday. There was another blue car as well. Took a very shaky video.

Link to old Octavia MQB Thread

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2013 at 13:18. Reason: Link to Official Review
mtnrajdeep is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 17:47   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1

Scoop Video moved out to a new thread. Thanks for sharing!
Old 5th April 2013, 11:24   #3
BHPian

Skoda's new Octavia caught in Bangalore

BHPian Mtnrajdeep scooped this video of Skoda's new 2013 Octavia in Bangalore. The new Octavia is due to go on sale later this year, and is an extremely important model for Skoda India.

The new Octavia is based on parent company VW's MQB platform. Other cars on this platform are the 2013 Audi A3, Seat Leon and VW Golf. The new Octavia has better interior space and also an edgier exterior design. On offer will be a base petrol with the 1.4L TSI engine, and the higher powered 1.8L TSI (shared with the Skoda Superb). The 2.0L diesel might come in two states of tune.

The original Octavia launched in 2000 was a game changer and catapulted Skoda from an unknown brand in India to its premium position today. In the recent past however, the company's sales have declined at an alarming rate. Compared to March 2012 volumes of 4,822 cars, Skoda sold a mere 2,079 cars in March 2013.

Last edited by GTO : 5th April 2013 at 12:32.
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 13:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Guys it seems the launch is around the corner. Im surprised to see no camouflage on the car

Is the current Laura a CKD ? And do they plan to bring this car (Octavia) as a CKD into India ?
Old 5th April 2013, 17:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Guys it seems the launch is around the corner. Im surprised to see no camouflage on the car

Is the current Laura a CKD ? And do they plan to bring this car (Octavia) as a CKD into India ?
Yes, the current Laura is a CKD and yes, they do plan to bring this as a CKD. A CKD car almost always means that we will get a better 'quality' car.

For e.g. I think the Cruze is manufactured here (true?). Looks at the poor quality levels. I believe that it should generally have better quality levels than even the current Jetta sold here. Reason? The CKD kits will be imported from somewhere is Europe compared to the Jetta kits that come from Mexico. I am sure at the Mexico plan, they do have a lot more common components with the US spec Jetta (than say the Skoda kits, that are made for Europe)

EDIT: The last I heard was August at the earliest. I am waiting for one and then make a choice between this and Jetta. So, I'll appreciate an earlier launch.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 5th April 2013 at 17:17.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 17:34   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I believe that it should generally have better quality levels than even the current Jetta sold here. Reason? The CKD kits will be imported from somewhere is Europe compared to the Jetta kits that come from Mexico. I am sure at the Mexico plan, they do have a lot more common components with the US spec Jetta (than say the Skoda kits, that are made for Europe).
AFAIK, the CKD kits for the Laura/Octavia comes from Czech Republic. And for the Jetta, I don't believe the Mexican build could result in a drop in quality. What from what I know, Puebla (Mexico) is the lone manufacturing facility for the Jetta - both Euro spec and NA. Other German brands also go with similar approach for some of the models. I think the Merc ML and GL are manufactured in the US, and some of the BMW X models are also done outside Germany.
Old 5th April 2013, 18:43   #7
BHPian

I saw a blue color one near fountain yesterday, south Mumbai. I was in a cab and saw it after I passed. Octavia was written on the number plate in big letters. No camouflage or anything
Old 5th April 2013, 19:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I saw a blue color one near fountain yesterday, south Mumbai. I was in a cab and saw it after I passed. Octavia was written on the number plate in big letters. No camouflage or anything
Watch your words..you guys are getting me excited beyond control Is the launch near? I heard August at the eariest
Old 5th April 2013, 19:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Watch your words..you guys are getting me excited beyond control Is the launch near? I heard August at the eariest
I am not sure about the launch but the car is similar to the one in Video and in Blue. It was parked near fountain (beside the HSBC bank building).
Old 5th April 2013, 21:31   #10
BHPian

I think Skoda is going to bring back the Octavia name in India. The car I saw was badged as Octavia.
Old 5th April 2013, 22:32   #11
Team-BHP Support

The new sedan by Skoda shall be called Octavia A7.

Here is a small screenshot I managed somewhere. It was meant for internal circulation, but lets thank lucky stars I managed to grab this for Team BHP.

I couldn't take a better picture as I was not carrying a dedicated camera. This is what a 4 year old mobile phone camera could do.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-photo0058.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 23:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Saw the Skoda Octavia TSI in red color in Bangalore yesterday. There was another blue car as well. Took a very shaky video.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=OD5F7BDMO24

Link to old Octavia MQB Thread
Saw the 2013 Skoda Octavia testing in Bangalore, early morning today (on mysore road). Unfortunately, could not take photographs but boy did the car look beautiful !
Just hope Skoda launches it soon, at a good price and I believe there is still some scope for improvement with the Skoda service network.
Old 5th April 2013, 23:46   #13
BHPian

Great to hear that the new Octavia is coming to India. Much greater to see how VAG is continuously launching newer generation of cars in India and not using India as the dump-yard as how some of the manufacturers are doing by launching older generation of cars or the cars based on older platforms.
Old 6th April 2013, 12:12   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted the 2013 Octavia today while en route Pune.

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-skoda-octavia-1_resized.jpg

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-skoda-octavia-2_resized.jpg

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-skoda-octavia-3_resized.jpg

Scoop! 2013 Skoda Octavia (MQB) caught. EDIT : New Pics on Pg 1-skoda-octavia-4_resized.jpg

The car looked stunning in white and very futuristic.

Finishing was brilliant right from the smoked headlamps to the gloss black roof.

Was standing next to the car for about 5 mins, was really exciting to touch & feel the car in flesh

As i was clicking pics the driver came running and made me not take more pics.

I had a small chat with him regarding the feel of the car & he said the car is much better now.

The car was on the way to Chakan

Last edited by GTO : 6th April 2013 at 12:48. Reason: Adding watermarked images
karan561 is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 12:24   #15
BHPian

Any views on what kind of pricing they would look at? I think they would place it lower than the jetta and also look at it filling the gap between rapid and superb.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks