Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2015, 18:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Verito Electric. EDIT: Launched at 9.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
But like rohanjf mentioned above, I believe it failed. Not sure why. Probably the volumes were low. It is a chicken and egg problem.
This article should give an idea on the failure of Better Place:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3028159/a...e-better-place
Old 11th June 2015, 09:45   #32
BHPian

Given that Anand Mahindra met Elon Musk a few days ago, hopefully he learnt a few things or two that'll be beneficial for Mahindra EVs. The best outcome would have probably been a collaboration, though I don't know if they explored it.

Source: https://twitter.com/anandmahindra/st...14115364663296

Last edited by kousik : 11th June 2015 at 09:47.
Old 12th June 2015, 01:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
This is a step in the right direction for Mahindra, but I simply don't understand their half-hearted approach in going for a trial launch by manufacturing only 5 units for BHEL (according to ACI).
The fact remains that 80 km range is thoroughly insufficient for any sort of highway drive. Even if we consider pure city use, with the kind of traffic we have, the motor will not be used with maximum efficiency. Even considering the amount of charging through regenerative braking, I am pretty sure the range will come down from the 80 km mark. All this is only if the battery is FULLY charged. Imagine the situation where the owner is forced to charge the vehicle every night. With the absence of public charging points, it will be highly risky to take the car out for even long night rides. This car at its present configuration is strictly for use where the daily use will hover around 60 kms and with the charging station pretty close by all the time.

That is the reason, why I believe, Mahindra is experimenting this by supplying to BHEL. BHEL's factory and residential areas are typically vast and this car can be used to ferry officers to their quarters and also be used as a shuttle for the employees to / from the nearest bus stations.

I guess the application of this technology can be put to full use if Mahindra is developing a proper hybrid car. In that case, the electric motor will be put to much less use and hence the range will not be a big factor - also, since there will be a petrol motor, even an empty battery is not going to be a show stopper. Let them develop a sustainable technology where the range is at least 200 kms, then this car can be introduced to the mass market and will definitely be a game changer.
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:16   #34
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Revs Up to Launch E-Maxximo, Verito by March - Indian Express, Dec 22 2015

Another Link

Quote:
BENGALURU: Mahindra Reva, part of the Mahindra Group, which has made a name for itself with its E2O battery-powered car, will be expanding its offerings.

The group will soon begin selling electric powered versions of the Maxximo and Verito cars. Top company officials said that the company plans to introduce the electric versions of the car by March-end. “The electric power train for the cars will come from Mahindra Reva,” said Jagan Kurian, Head - sales, marketing, exports, Mahindra Reva.

Last edited by NPV : 22nd December 2015 at 13:17.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 14:57   #35
BHPian

When they say "The electric power train for the cars will come from Mahindra Reva" is it the exact same motor and battery pack that will be used?
Will those be able to cater to the additional load? Else we will have a sluggish car with a very limited range, and will kill the EV dream before it is born.

We need someone to do a Musk in India and create a EV which will create confidence in the consumers' minds for EVs.
Old 23rd December 2015, 22:15   #36
BHPian

Union minister for heavy industries and public enterprises, Anant Geete apparently arrived in Parliament in one of the first production Verito electric yesterday, with an aim for spreading awareness on air pollution.

He was quoted mentioning the price of the car at about 13.5 lakhs.

Mahindra Verito Electric. EDIT: Launched at 9.5 lakhs-mahindraveritoelectriccar_650x400_71450780018.jpg

NDTV:
Quote:
Union Minister Anant Geete came to Parliament today in an electric car, highlighting a push by the government to adopt non-polluting transport. Amid sharp focus on the national capital's air pollution, Mr Geete, who heads the Heavy Industries ministry, brought a battery-powered Mahindra Verito to Parliament.

"By using such cars, air and noise pollution can be curbed. It is expensive at around Rs. 13.5 lakh as the battery is imported but (Transport Minister) Nitin Gadkari is trying to encourage local manufacturing to cut cost," he said.

Emblazoned with the logo of the National Electric Mobility Mission that aims to have 6-7 million electric vehicles on the road by 2020, decked up with flowers and a red beacon on its roof, the car drew many admirers at the Parliament complex.
Mahindra Verito Electric. EDIT: Launched at 9.5 lakhs-wintersessionofparliament_7ac512e2a93511e588ccd150a333af9b.jpg

Hindustan Times:
Quote:
“I have hired the car for Rs15,000 per month,” Geete said.

The heavy industries minister got the first car of the yet-to-be-released Mahindra Verito electric version. Asked if his gesture was also leading to promotion for the brand, Geete said, “Government has a clear policy for all car manufacturers to build electric, zero-emission cars. So far there is just one company which has made such a car. Tomorrow, if any other company makes an electric car, I will use that as well.”

Last edited by Senna4Ever : 23rd December 2015 at 22:16.
Senna4Ever is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 19:27   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra e-Verito to be launched in India on June 2, 2016.

A 3-phase 72V electric motor which produces 41PS/91Nm will power the e-Verito. The company claims a top speed of 86kmph.

Quote:
The Mahindra e-Verito claims to run 100km on a full charge. A full charge will take around eight hours, however, Mahindra’s fast charge mode available on the D6 trim will help reduce that to one and a half hours. There are three trims on offer – D2, D4 and D6.
http://overdrive.in/news/mahindra-e-...n-june-2-2016/

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th May 2016 at 19:29.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 23:29   #38
BHPian

I sincerely hope that the specifications mentioned here are wrong. Or else the 0-100 timing would have to be mentioned in years instead of seconds.

But, god forbid, if the specs are correct, my I ask what high quality stuff these guys were smoking when they decided to give the E-Verito just 20% more power than the E2O especially when they know that it will probably weigh at least twice as much. A more powerful motor couldn't have caused any more extra drain on the battery that better aerodynamics couldn't have fixed (in terms of range).

This brings us to the point, how much longer is Mahindra going to flog the exact same design they licensed from Renault (Dacia??) almost a decade ago? How much extra would they need to spend to design a proper low-aero-resistance body shell? Wouldn't this simple modification make much more sense for Mahindra since the E-Verito would actually be somewhat different (and fresher) to look at as compared to the ones we are seeing for the past decade.
Old 31st May 2016, 13:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I sincerely hope that the specifications mentioned here are wrong. Or else the 0-100 timing would have to be mentioned in years instead of seconds.

But, god forbid, if the specs are correct, my I ask what high quality stuff these guys were smoking when they decided to give the E-Verito just 20% more power than the E2O especially when they know that it will probably weigh at least twice as much. A more powerful motor couldn't have caused any more extra drain on the battery that better aerodynamics couldn't have fixed (in terms of range).

This brings us to the point, how much longer is Mahindra going to flog the exact same design they licensed from Renault (Dacia??) almost a decade ago? How much extra would they need to spend to design a proper low-aero-resistance body shell? Wouldn't this simple modification make much more sense for Mahindra since the E-Verito would actually be somewhat different (and fresher) to look at as compared to the ones we are seeing for the past decade.
It doesn't do 100,as mentioned above. I agree that the power is low but Mahindra is probably targeting city peeps with this and 100km isn't bad for commuting in a city like Delhi. Aerodynamics wouldn't be of much help since the average speeds in cities full of traffic is quite less,hence not a lot of air resistance to fight anyway.
What's not so good about this car is the platform, the Logan is a very dated car to sell for 8 lacs. Mahindra should've given it a heavy facelift. Anyway, a move in good direction and I'm glad someone is offering electric cars at least.
Doge is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 16:14   #40
BHPian

All this time they could have atleast re-skinned the car substantially. Electric vehicles are a niche market and prospective customers looking for exclusivity/differentiation might turn away just by that "way too long in the tooth" sight of the Verito.
Old 31st May 2016, 17:14   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

What if Maruti Suzuki did this on the baleno? Lightweight, modern and perfect for urban runabouts. Kudos to Mahindra for the starting to travel in a road less travelled. A good start, if followed by hit manufacturers (Maruti, Hyundai).
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 17:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
It doesn't do 100,as mentioned above. I agree that the power is low but Mahindra is probably targeting city peeps with this and 100km isn't bad for commuting in a city like Delhi.
If that was the intention, they would have been better served by targeting Cabbies (by giving at least 150-175km of range/charge) and getting the word out. Cabbies are buying top end vehicles these days, they wouldn't have stepped back if going electric would make more economic sense (which it most certainly would).

Quote:
Aerodynamics wouldn't be of much help since the average speeds in cities full of traffic is quite less,hence not a lot of air resistance to fight anyway.
The motor would use substantially more energy only to overcome aerodynamic drag as speeds increase. The easiest way to minimize range loss at higher speeds (without adding more batteries) is to minimize aerodynamic drag since extra energy usage due to increased speed would be reduced if there is less drag, minimizing its adverse impact on range. Better aerodynamics would also ensure better regen-brake efficiency across the board.

84kmph top speed was a most probably design decision they took to maximize range without modifying the body panels.

Quote:
Anyway, a move in good direction and I'm glad someone is offering electric cars at least.
Mahindra themselves would know very well which car would probably do better, an E-Verito or an E-XUV. If they have to sell it to private buyers, they have to make it aspirational, we all know which is more aspirational. A couple of movie stars commuting in Electric XUVs instead of their BMWs would give them all the goodwill they would need. And besides, XUV base pricing would have given them a lot more flexibility to make it a lot less of a compromise for the owners.

We could look at it in the way that something is better than nothing, but that something could have been so much better had they done it right. I hope they don't blame the market if this doesn't do too well and try to delay the inevitable (total electrification of all cars) under that pretext.

Most expensive automotive technologies take the top-down approach travelling from the highest segments to the lowest. I wonder why Mahindra is taking the reverse route.
Old 31st May 2016, 18:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

Finally. A full size electric car, Made in India, that can carry five in comfort and take their luggage too. Well done Mahindra.

What does puzzle is the same range on offer as the E2O. Would have been great if they could have added another 50km to that range considering you can't push your luck for the full 100km.

On the subject of design, personally, I prefer the dated design of the old Logan over the hunch back E2O.
Old 31st May 2016, 18:18   #44
BHPian

Tesla better watch out. This is going to be serious competition to Tesla model 3. Guess chapter 11 is coming too soon for Tesla
AKTRACK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 11:34   #45
BHPian

The pricing seems to be too high, the range should have got at least another 50 kms, a top speed of 84! Are you kidding, M&M?
I personally don't think much serious thought have gone into the eVerito!
To me this is a halfhearted effort and would not do much good to the image of a electric vehicle in India. Is this M&M's response to the NGT ban on 2L + diesels?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks