Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2016, 11:41   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Verito Electric. EDIT: Launched at 9.5 lakhs

We are criticising Mahindra for this attemp. But how many of us shyed away from Reva/E20 just because it was too small and does not resemble a proper car? I for one, did.
E-Verito is a wonderful option for city dwellers to travel to-fro office. Many people car pool to office, and best part is Verito can take 5 people without a fuss. 8 lakhs is nothing when you realize you get a fullsize sedan (Indian standards). Even hatchbacks cost 10 lakhs nowadays.
True, 86kmph is not a lot, but within city limits, it is adequate. 100km range is good too. Say, if you are a Chennaite living in Guindy and work for IT in Sholingnallur IT corridor, 1.5 hours of charging can get 5 of you to office and back home, all the while not polluting the environment. A good effort by Mahindra, only getting criticized because they started it in Verito instead of KUV100.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 2nd June 2016 at 15:23. Reason: fixed typos
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 15:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra e-Verito to be launched in India on June 2, 2016.

A 3-phase 72V electric motor which produces 41PS/91Nm will power the e-Verito. The company claims a top speed of 86kmph.

http://overdrive.in/news/mahindra-e-...n-june-2-2016/
Interesting. I was told by a Mahindra E2o salesman last year that the e-Verito will only be sold to government fleets because it is too expensive for general sales. He'd said the price was about 13 lakhs mostly because of the larger battery pack.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 17:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

Well a hybrid with even a tiny motor like what the nano has could have taken the 'practicality' aspect, several notches higher. With a 100 km range - under ideal circumstances ( no traffic, right air pressure, just one person in the car, no AC ) is too risky. Especially for a guy like me, who realizes that he hasn't charged his phone the previous night, and plugs it in after reaching office! Can't imagine my car getting stranded on the road since it is out of charge.

IMHO, a tiny petrol engine as a back up, or to charge the battery to extend it range would have really helped. Not to mention, it would have taken the top speed above 100 kmph as well.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 18:17   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Interesting. I was told by a Mahindra E2o salesman last year that the e-Verito will only be sold to government fleets because it is too expensive for general sales. He'd said the price was about 13 lakhs mostly because of the larger battery pack.
E2O has a 19kw, 25hp motor and the e-verito seems to be using a 30kw 41hp motor. So, the increment in power is about 50%. Since E2O weighs 830Kgs and E-verito likely to weigh just above a ton, it is unlikely the weight would be 50% more.

Thus, Battery requirement would only be about 50% more for a basic model. Considering E2O battery pack costs Rs 1.8Lakhs, it stands to reason to think the battery pack for E-Verito starts at around 2.7Lakhs. Along with Motor power addition, the basic model can indeed have 'electric component' price increase of only about 2Lakhs than E2O.

So, what we need to figure is how much more the VERITO shell worth, as compared to E2O? Especially since the Verito shell R&D costs have already been recovered?

Considering E2O OTR is about 7lakhs in Bangalore, E-Verito at about 9Lakh OTR seems a workable pricing. 8Lakhs may be ex-showroom price.
Old 2nd June 2016, 15:20   #50
BHPian

I tried to look up the launch details but could not find any links that were relevant. This is an important launch- a four door electric sedan is going to find quite a few takers if it is priced competitively. A 100 km range may not seem like much but few of us drive more than that in a day.
The only thing I am worried about is the battery replacement cost- the E2O had a plan for leasing the battery instead of buying it but that does not appear on the website anymore. I suspect that the Verito's battery will be more expensive.
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra e-Verito launched in India at Rs 9.5 lakh

http://overdrive.in/news/mahindra-e-...t-rs-9-5-lakh/

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/mahindra-e...0-lakh-1258328
RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:59   #52
BHPian

I had just called the Mahindra Dealer Sireesh Auto. They only know the E-verito is launched, but have no other information on availability or bookings.

Pricing seems to be fairly decent for a Electric Sedan.
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 18:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

The Spec sheet is available at Mahindra's website.

Power is 41HP.
Torque is 91NM.

Power appears to be low for a vehicle like Verito.

Secondly, Mahindra should have done a little more work on the exteriors of the car. They could have tried to change some exterior panels and make it look more futuristic/modern, given that this is a new electric car.

Top speed of 85KMPH is another downer.

Finally, fast charging option is available only on highest Trim. Without fast charging, the 8 hour charge period is a handicap.

But, on the plus side, this looks more practical than the E20 and old reva with so much space inside.

Mahindra has also installed 21 charging stations in Bangalore.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 22:04   #54
BHPian

I did expect a car of this size to provide atleast 250 kms range. We do understand size limitation of Reva to accommodate more battery packs. But that was in 2008. During this time frame, we have seen 10 generations of i-phones and even with the latest mobile phones beating laptops in performance, why are we still in 80 km range. I know its not apple to apple comparison ,but I still wanted to make my point how other markets have grown. Battery tech has evolved a lot during this phase. Even small car's like Fiat pop electric provides 130 kms range , really cannot make out who is the target audience for Mahindra. For this price tag , it will hardly even make it to dealerships.

Mahindra should provide additional battery slots as an upgrade option. I would really want Tata to launch Nano electric around 3-4 lakh price range which should trigger a series of new launches from other manufacturers.
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 01:03   #55
BHPian

I am curious to know about this 'fast charging' option. Is it a DC-DC fast charging setup? Or a higher output wall charger(AC) that needs to be purchased separately (similar to the 'dual charger' for Tesla cars).

Like mentioned already, since Mahindra is using an existing sedan body shell, they could have considered including a small IC engine that could serve as a range extender alone atleast. It takes away the range anxiety of the owner, which is a primary deterant for pure electric vehicle sales, more so with our non-existent public charging infrastructure.

- Avinash
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:41   #56
BHPian

Sad news for everyone who wanted an EV.

I have been pushing my family members to get the e20 but that idea never found traction owing to its micro size and range.

I was super happy that mahindra was going to release a bigger option to the e20 hoping and praying that atleast 200kms would be available range, mental calculations hinging on the fact that bigger wheelbase=bigger battery pack.

But mahindra decided that old wine in old bottle would somehow work magic for them. All the best with that
Precision is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:00   #57
BHPian

Firstly a brave move from Mahindra. Its takes a lot of guts to invest in something 'different'. This is the Nano or EV.

Will I buy it?

No. Pure EVs are not practical. Not at this point in time in India.

Reason..

Having a fixed range of even 200 km won't cut it for me. Not until I can go into any Petrol bunk, drop ould battery and install a charged one and be running again in under 5 mins.

I stay in an apartment complex, and there is no way I am going to be allowed to plug my car into common mains. Its also not practical to run a power line from my home to my parking.

What changes will make me consider it?

Well, I need a small petrol/diesel motor in it. I don't even want the petrol motor to power the wheels, no need to give extra power/torque for acceleration. All I want is a 200-300 cc engine that can charge the battery when I am at less than 20% charge.

If Nano can sell at 1.5 L, I am sure Mahindra can add a Petrol generator at 50K and sell the verito hybrid at 10L.

All said and done. An excellent engineering effort from Mahindra. Salute.
freedom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:33   #58
BHPian

Even though this effort by Mahindra is not a game changer, after thinking about this, it does seem to be pretty decent. As for the biggest grouse regarding the range, I actually feel that range of 100 km for strictly city commute should not be a problem at all. I think it would be safe to assume that 99% of those commuting cities travel less than 100 km daily.

A good comparison can be with the way our mobile phone usage has evolved. From the days of good old Nokia which were once a week, we have now come to accept the fact mobile phones compulsorily need to be charged fully every night and more often than not, we top up the charge during the day time.

On similar lines, an electric car, if charged every night would serve the purpose well. And it is just a matter of time that we'll have charging infrastructure in offices and malls where the cars will keep getting top up charge.

We never thought we would need mobile charging points at so many public locations, did we?
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:49   #59
BANNED

TATA is the only manufacturer which has the chance of launching e-nano to fight with mahindra. They have very good possibility of pricing it undercutting E2O.
Old 3rd June 2016, 10:52   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

While the initiative is to be appreciated, this is a 'neither here on there' solution.

A pure EV should either be compact with basic performance and range (Like the E20) or large, futuristic and a strong performer with a good range (Tesla like). The Verito is neither. With a 100KM range and average performance, it is just about ok for pure In-City use and cannot be taken on long trips. For such a use case, the E2O works better if you are keen on an EV. The Verito is a reasonably big sedan and not something one would want as a 2nd car-And it can never be a primary car.

As already mentioned, this should have been a PHEV (Plug In Electric vehicle) which can be plugged in and charged but also comes with a regular engine. Such vehicles can run the small commutes on Electric Mode and the longer ones on regular fuel wit the Electric Mode supporting it.

Mahindra had showcased an XUV500 Hybrid in the 2014 Auto Expo. Wonder what happened that
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed