Old 10th December 2014, 17:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Verito Electric. EDIT: Launched at 9.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
+1 to you Rajeev.

Its like flogging a.
This just went from Mission Impossible to Mission Freaking Insanity

If the favorite fuel in India aka diesel did not get this car going, if the taxi segment did not get this car going, they expect an electric motor and a battery pack to do wonders. Sigh.
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 17:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
This just went from Mission Impossible to Mission Freaking Insanity

If the favorite fuel in India aka diesel did not get this car going, if the taxi segment did not get this car going, they expect an electric motor and a battery pack to do wonders. Sigh.
M&M wants wonders from these "o" namesakes- Verito and Quanto.

Ideally, the o should be replaced with a 0(Zero) and rest their case.

Mahindra Verito Electric. EDIT: Launched at 9.5 lakhs-untitled.jpg
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 11:53   #18
Team-BHP Support

The Verito EV has been spotted once again. The car is expected to be launched this quarter.

Mahindra Verito Electric. EDIT: Launched at 9.5 lakhs-verito-ev.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Image: IAB
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 12:07   #19
BHPian

How useful will a boot be for a car with 80 Km range considering the moment you add more weight, the range will reduce further.
Maybe for that occasional airport or the Train station run. But you can't think of a highway trip using this.
Old 4th June 2015, 12:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The article indicates that they will place it in the taxi/commercial car rental space. That seems strange. Who would want an electric taxi with a 80 km range? Same goes for the car rental. Something like the E20 makes sense for In City Car Rental due to its compact dimensions. But the Verito?

Edit: And the pricing? The E2O itself sells for 7-8L, I assume this would be beyond that.

Fail to understand the logic behind this

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 4th June 2015 at 12:15.
Old 4th June 2015, 17:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

If scientists use mice and frogs for their experiments, Mahindra uses the Verito for theirs. Looks more like a 'me first' attempt by Mahindra to launch an electric sedan.

Coming back to the topic, can anyone clarify if it is a pure battery operated car or a hybrid with electrical battery and an IC engine ? Because 80 kilometers range with 7 hours of charging time is too low for any kind of usability. I am not even mentioning the estimated price and Mahindra's brand value (in terms of sedan) here.

NJ
Old 4th June 2015, 17:48   #22
BHPian

They have to beat the dead horse anyhow. Isn't it? Why don't they design something new from scratch instead of this farcical exercise in wasting money and resources.
Old 4th June 2015, 20:39   #23
BHPian

Really struggle to understand how M&M keeps getting it wrong. 7 hours charging time for a measly 80 Kms (which I assume are under ideal conditions) is impractical to say the least. I highly doubt the cab companies would even bother considering this car as serious option.
Old 5th June 2015, 00:02   #24
BHPian

Well. I see a business opportunity here. Instead of petrol bunks, have "battery bunks", and solve the range problem. Yes. It will take time to build the infrastructure out, but doable.
I even remember some company coming up with a machine which dispenses scooter batteries for electric scooters.
If priced right (by leasing the battery?), and backed with the right infrastructure, it would be lucrative for the taxi folks.
Old 5th June 2015, 06:29   #25
BHPian

Well, ACI reports that Verito EV will be launched today, but it would only be a soft launch. The proper commercial launch would take place next year.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ay-395449.aspx
Old 5th June 2015, 09:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Well. I see a business opportunity here. Instead of petrol bunks, have "battery bunks", and solve the range problem. Yes. It will take time to build the infrastructure out, but doable
Off topic: Shai Agassi tried this in Israel and some cities in few other developed countries. The project was called Project Better Place. It failed.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 10:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashua View Post
How useful will a boot be for a car with 80 Km range considering the moment you add more weight, the range will reduce further.
Maybe for that occasional airport or the Train station run. But you can't think of a highway trip using this.
Hyderabad airport is roughly 40km from the city and I assume it is the same case with Bangalore and Delhi as well. So this wouldn't even be fit for an airport run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Well. I see a business opportunity here. Instead of petrol bunks, have "battery bunks", and solve the range problem. Yes. It will take time to build the infrastructure out, but doable.
I even remember some company coming up with a machine which dispenses scooter batteries for electric scooters.
If priced right (by leasing the battery?), and backed with the right infrastructure, it would be lucrative for the taxi folks.
It won't be practical since the charging time is 7 hours. How many people are willing to waste their 7 hours charging this EV while on the move? The only places where people can afford to spend 7 hours would be the parking lots at home and office.

As and when the technology improves to enable charging time in the range of 10-15 minutes for a range of around 200 km, this might start attracting the attention of people. Till then, it is just a niche product with zero practical use.

Last edited by zenren : 5th June 2015 at 10:31.
Old 5th June 2015, 10:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
It won't be practical since the charging time is 7 hours. How many people are willing to waste their 7 hours charging this EV while on the move? The only places where people can afford to spend 7 hours would be the parking lots at home and office.

As and when the technology improves to enable charging time in the range of 10-15 minutes for a range of around 200 km, this might start attracting the attention of people. Till then, it is just a niche product with zero practical use.
The recommendation is not to charge the battery. It is to replace the battery. You drive in to the station, a machine removes the old battery, puts in a charged one in under 2 mins, and you are on your way. So, you basically own the car, and fill in batteries like you do fuel today.

The below link gives you some idea.
http://www.ted.com/talks/shai_agassi...ge=en#t-560492

But like rohanjf mentioned above, I believe it failed. Not sure why. Probably the volumes were low. It is a chicken and egg problem. Without enough cars to use it, no one wants to invest in the infra, and no one wants to buy the car without the infra. But I believe this model holds promise for the future. Mahindra has the money power to invest in this kind of infra.
Bh.P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 10:46   #29
BHPian

While this project might not exactly be apt, I would say its a step in the right direction.
We have to keep in mind the price aspect here as well.

The Verito is no Tesla costing 50 lakh rupees. Its a small sedan under Rs.10 lakh. Yes the Tesla has a 5-6 times range than the Verito, and yes you can supercharge it within a hour but the majority of the cost of a model S is its battery pack which is very advanced.

You can't blame a company for trying. This is an initial rudimentary step. Give it time, and I am certain Mahindra will be able to refine it enough to make the car plausible.
prakhar1998 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 14:26   #30
RSR
Senior - BHPian

This is a step in the right direction for Mahindra, but I simply don't understand their half-hearted approach in going for a trial launch by manufacturing only 5 units for BHEL (according to ACI).

The e2o is the only all-electric car on sale in India right now and although it is a fine effort, it does have its drawbacks. We have complaints from e2o owners on Team-BHP about the long term ownership experience, and they mostly seem to be related to the car's unconventional construction.

Unlike the e2o, there is nothing unconventional about the Verito's construction. It is a very robust car with solid & proven Renault (or Dacia) underpinnings, and a ride quality that's easily from a class or two above. Also, the Verito is a very spacious four-door sedan that can seat 5-people in great comfort (unlike the two-door e2o).

I don't understand what Mahindra are going to gain by selling the initial lot of Electric Veritos solely to BHEL, apart from extended real world testing perhaps. This car needs to be sold to the general public as soon as possible. It will surely help change the perception that electric cars are unconventional and impractical little urban runabouts whose disadvantages outweigh the benefits.

A successful Electric Verito (based on the good old Renault Logan) may actually serve as a catalyst for the big guns in the field of EV technology to seriously consider local manufacturing of EVs in India.

If Mahindra can pave the way for mainstream electric cars with the previous generation international Renault/Dacia Logan (with a replacement electric powertrain from Reva), then the market would be ready to welcome internationally proven purpose-built all-electric cars, such as Renault's Zoe or Nissan's Leaf. Even the Evalia may be able to get a fresh lease of life if Nissan are smart enough to re-launch it as the e-NV200, which is quite popular with certain bulk buyers.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed