Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:30   #61
BHPian

re: Mahindra Verito Electric. EDIT: Launched at 9.5 lakhs

It would have made more sense if the vehicle was a hybrid - Electric + on the drive solar charging. The body panels could have been made solar receptive.

This would have increased the range to no limit, and in fact brought down consumption of electricity.

In a country like ours where the sun rays are unsympathetic, this would have been a boon to people if such a combination would have been available.
sawah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
9.5 lakhs in Delhi after state and central govt. incentives. That will not be true for anyone outside Delhi. Even the e2o with a UP registration was coming to 7.5 lakhs odd for me as against about 5.5l in Delhi. Considering the general basicness of that car and lack of safety features, it made no sense for me.
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:49   #63
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Given its shortcomings, will be interesting to see how much the e-Verito sells, let's see how the market reacts.
A print media report on the launch of the e-Verito:
Source:M&M unveils zero emission e-Verito

Quote:
Amid concerns about rising high levels of pollution from diesel cars, Mahindra and Mahindra on Thursday has launched the long awaited electric version of their compact sedan Verito.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd June 2016 at 12:50.
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:04   #64
Team-BHP Support

I would not buy this car - it is outdated and the charging infrastructure does not exist.

Fill that big boot with bigger batteries and it would make an awesome taxi - Am sure Lithium taxi's will get these assuming a generous fleet discount
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:12   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Fill that big boot with bigger batteries and it would make an awesome taxi - Am sure Lithium taxi's will get these assuming a generous fleet discount
Would make it very unappealing from an airport commute perspective. Guarantee of boot space is one of my main reasons for choosing Uber most of the times. IMO, lack of adequate charging infrastructure would put off most fleet owners.
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:15   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
Would make it very unappealing from an airport commute perspective. Guarantee of boot space is one of my main reasons for choosing Uber most of the times. IMO, lack of adequate charging infrastructure would put off most fleet owners.
I was talking in terms of the call centre , BPO taxi segment. Two airport trips and the car will need charging again
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 15:04   #67
BHPian

These eVeritos can revolutionize urban mobility in India. Especially the office taxi and commuter segment. In a place like Bangalore, Range anxiety is not a problem - distances are not much but the trouble is with the time it takes to cover that distance in traffic. You can go from any corner of the city to any other end within 50km. Further in an EV, idling waste is zero unlike a petrol/diesel vehicle. Office parks can retrofit their parking areas to provide charging when the taxi waits for the employees end-of-the-day commuting time.

We should think of the possibilities, think of what is missing in the infrastructure and encourage the government and manufacturers to fill these gaps. Our smart city mission can provide parking spaces with charging. It is also necessary to dis-incentivize fossil fuel cars and encourage EVs from a public health and pollution perspective. Every regular car we replace with one of these reduces that pollution.

Attached are a few pics of street parking in European cities where the vehicle charging infrastructure is in place. Indian cities should be thinking on these lines - to build up this mobility revolution.

In any event, congratulations to Mahindra! They have ventured where other manufacturers have not gone. I would love to see an electric Nano, a ElecxCreta and so on on Indian roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Verito Electric. EDIT: Launched at 9.5 lakhs-wp_20160425_009.jpg  

Mahindra Verito Electric. EDIT: Launched at 9.5 lakhs-wp_20160415_019.jpg  

Mahindra Verito Electric. EDIT: Launched at 9.5 lakhs-wp_20160415_020.jpg  

Last edited by vishwas : 3rd June 2016 at 15:06. Reason: grammar
vishwas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 10:33   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Verito Electric. EDIT: Launched at 9.5 lakhs

While the E2O is super cool & funky, the Verito is the exact opposite. It's old, outdated & ugly.

With a cost of over a million bucks, it's going to sink without a trace. Cars like these give EVs a bad name. I applaud Mahindra for what they did with the E2O, yet will be the first to tell them that the electric Verito should have never been launched. It's pointless at this price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Power is 41HP.
Torque is 91NM.

Power appears to be low for a vehicle like Verito.
I know peak torque is made at 0 rpm, but still, that sounds awfully low for a car weighing ~1,200 kilos (guesstimate).
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 11:18   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawah View Post
It would have made more sense if the vehicle was a hybrid - Electric + on the drive solar charging. The body panels could have been made solar receptive.
The maximum power that you can generate using the best solar panel will be around 220W per square meter.
Assuming that the car has a roof area of 3 square meters, that turns put to be about 660W. It would be a small fraction of the power that goes into the charger if it is connected to a 220 V / 15 A line. This is something many people have pointed out about the Prius that comes with a solar roof- it doesn't provide any mobility at all.
One solution, as has already been suggested, could be to include more battery packs in the boot. Also, they could have included a small IC engine powered generator to charge the batteries- they would not need to modify the drive train to do that.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 12:59   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
I stay in an apartment complex, and there is no way I am going to be allowed to plug my car into common mains. Its also not practical to run a power line from my home to my parking.
No need to pull a line from your house. You might be able to run a power line from your electricity meter to your parking. That's what an Reva owner in my housing society has done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Well, I need a small petrol/diesel motor in it. I don't even want the petrol motor to power the wheels, no need to give extra power/torque for acceleration. All I want is a 200-300 cc engine that can charge the battery when I am at less than 20% charge.
A great solution and something that I was wondering too. I was also wondering if this is a mod that can be done by the owner. Electric motors are not that bulky and since the body is unchanged it should have enough free space under the hood to install a small engine (say a 150cc engine from a commuter bike) with a generator to generate power to recharge the batteries.
vivtho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 20:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Wonder why everyone seems to think negatively about this. Sure it's not something that will shake up the market, but sets a precedence for other manufacturers to follow thru quickly. I'm sure Mahindra knows that the verito electric won't be a sales topper, but they are just testing waters with an available platform. I'm sure they will get this tech to other cars in their line up soon.

Also I'm hearing a lot of opinions on the range. I think 100km is not bad at all. I commute 40kms a day, so charging alternative days is not a problem for folks who are doing such distances every day. And about finding the charging points, well we don't have the infrastructure for it right away, but you can take an effort. I have a many reva/ e2o owners in my apartment who have found ways to charge the car everyday.
Sure, there is no comparison to Tesla, who is in another world altogether. The most prominent auto companies like BMW, Renault took forever to come out with an all electric car, so this was rather quick by Mahindra.
Kudos to the effort, wish Mahindra gets it to other cars and also in the process makes the range higher.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 23:52   #72
BHPian

I have been reading everyone hating the fact that this all-electric car has a top speed of just 84 kph. Honestly, I am not aware of many roads in India which have a significantly higher speed limits. Majority have limits of 80 kph which this car should do pretty fine.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 00:28   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I know peak torque is made at 0 rpm, but still, that sounds awfully low for a car weighing ~1,200 kilos (guesstimate).
This peak torque at zero RPM thing is just getting silly. How can anything produce peak torque at zero RPM? Zero RPM means the motor is not is not even spinning so how can it produce peak torque? Electric motors can produce peak torque at very low RPMs but never at zero RPM.
Old 5th June 2016, 00:44   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
This peak torque at zero RPM thing is just getting silly. How can anything produce peak torque at zero RPM? Zero RPM means the motor is not is not even spinning so how can it produce peak torque? Electric motors can produce peak torque at very low RPMs but never at zero RPM.
That is how an electric motor works. Electric motors do not need to spin to create torque. As soon as you provide electricity, the motor produces torque.
To understand it better, try switching on your ceiling fan while you hold its leaf. The fan will not spin (0 rpm) since you have blocked it but you will feel the force (torque).

Edit: Not sure if the term torque is technically correct when there is no acceleration from the force. Moment could be a more appropriate technical term. Physics experts can comment on it.

Last edited by Holyghost : 5th June 2016 at 01:03.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 01:25   #75
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The rotor is just stationary when the magnetic field is stationary,the torque is still the same whether the magnetic field is stationary or rotating.

Its also because of the full torque at zero RPM can EV vehicles brake very effectively.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks