Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2013, 23:03   #16
BHPian

Re: BSMotoring sold to the Delhi Press

Even though I did not subscribe to BSM, I used to eagerly await the auto articles published in the saturday edition of Business Standard and enjoyed their simple and forthright views, hope the new guys continue in the same tradition
san2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 17:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

True - it was probably the only car magazine run by true enthusiasts unlike the others which blatantly carried favourable reviews of a car model with the same car model having a big ad right next to that review !

So many people joining Porsche recently from the car mag world ? earlier saw something similar on Sirish Chandran as well?
It seems that Shirish has quit Porsche and is now a contributing editor with ACI and has turned pro rallyist as per the latest ACI issue
Old 19th April 2013, 18:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why not share a scanned copy of the article with us all

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
And BSM published it, word by word. Was a very proud day! I still have those emails and the anniversary mag itself.
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 18:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Should we really be sad? The mag is changing owners, its not being killed !

In the past couple years, its had lost its original mojo and hopefully the new owners will restore it to its past glory!
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 18:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

Lot of changes at BSM recently. Don't know what went wrong, but if Bijoy retained the editor's chair, I think, the magazine would have sailed & so would the readers (me included)

Where does Revvmaster go now?

Agree with Mpower
Old 19th April 2013, 19:21   #21
BHPian

All the enthusiasts enjoyed the BSMotoring, their writing was spirited and enjoyable. Truly sad that the magazines are ceding ground. Anyway BSMotorings rise coincided with automotive revolution in India. So times are changing and may they keep the spirit and prosper.
Old 19th April 2013, 19:27   #22
BHPian

I was never a big fan of BS Motoring. Although I know that this is the bible for car lovers. I found their magazines with too much data overload and few pics. Sorry, I judge a book by its cover. They have a nice blog though. I used to be addicted to it a few months back. It is worth a read.

Link to blog: http://www.bsmotoring.com/blogs/

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 19th April 2013, 21:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

I wonder whether Delhi Press carries the title for long.

Also, the BSM is in good hands, Delhi Press' Caravan is a very good magazine, their pictures top notch.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 08:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Why not share a scanned copy of the article with us all
Can we share scanned copy of an article from a mag? Is it not against the rules of the forum? Its been more than 5 years now though.

If the Mods give me the go ahead, I can put that one up.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd April 2013 at 11:31. Reason: I think it should be okay, given that you created the content, and i assume they didn't 'exclusively' get rights to it. :)
Old 23rd April 2013, 10:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
BS Motoring used to come out with these print ads sometime back with a tagline "Do you have it in your Blood?"
Very creative, and now we know what choked their veins.

In general, niche mags like motoring catering to a select audience are most likely inherently monopolistic. Revenues will come mostly from ads, ads will go to the largest guy, who will then re-invest for superior content / distribution leading to larger readership and hence more ad revenues. And thus advertising cost per reader will always be the lowest with the market leader (or dictated by him).

So there's a virtuous cycle for the leader and vicious for the distant rest.

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:13   #26
Team-BHP Support

I used to be an ardent reader of BSMotoring as well, and also remember the time I had sent an email on a What Car? question to Srini when looking at buying my first car. I never really expected anyone to reply, but was pleasantly surprised to see a reply from Srini to my email with an answer to my query. Those were the days before I knew of Team-BHP, though.

It's been a long time since, and my bond with Team-BHP has grown, while BSMotoring is a lot different than what it was then.
Old 23rd April 2013, 15:22   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I wonder whether Delhi Press carries the title for long.

Also, the BSM is in good hands, Delhi Press' Caravan is a very good magazine, their pictures top notch.
Agree to that. Caravan right now is leagues ahead of any other long form journalism in India.
Old 25th April 2013, 14:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I'm writing in to clear the air (and doubts), considering there are a whole host of comments here on the thread.

Sheel, yes, I continue to stay on at Motoring. Pablo will head the magazine and will be ably guided by me and a significant chunk of the team.

Motoring, under the aegis of Business Standard has, and will continue to do the form of journalism that excites, enthrals and educates its readers in the same vein. We are grateful that Business Standard gave us such a brilliant opportunity to do things we deemed fit, and in return enjoy the loyalty of a small, but dedicated set of readers that has been expanding to this day. Business Standard, one must remember, is a newspaper group with their primary focus being newspapers. Apart from Motoring, the only other magazine that they do have is Indian Management. Their focus and, therefore energies have been towards the paper and in return, couldn't do justice to Motoring the way it was required.

Now with Delhi Press on board, we hope to turn things up a notch or two. We will continue to do things we did, and probably be even more enthusiast focussed than ever before. I agree, the internet and web media does pose a significant challenge to print, but do remember, Motoring in recent years wasn't about print only. We did have a significant presence online and in fact were the first auto magazine in the country with a dedicated website. We are in the process of developing a new site as we speak and it should go live in the next few months. Plus, expect more activities from Motoring across the board.

While I'm at it, would really like to give a shout out to GTO, the other admins and all you guys for your years of support. It's really nice to also see some positive comments from a significant chunk of you.

And yes, Ajmat, your 10 years worth of Car UK are in safe hands. We continue to devour their writing like you can't believe...

Also, just a footnote. We will function out of the Delhi Press office in Mumbai. And we continue to produce the magazine. The April issue is currently on stands and the May issue will be out in a few days. We are running a bit late (due apologies), but we should be back on schedule soon enough.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th April 2013 at 14:26. Reason: Usual rule we follow as you know :)
Revvmaster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 21:20   #29
BHPian

I think slowly most of the print auto mags are going to fade off. Typically Auto Mags don't have a large base of readers so they are compelled to keep the price high. In turn that keeps the buyers away and they read the content on internet. Only hard core enthusiasts spend 100 plus rupees to buy that. No so many Mags can compete on that space. Only Autocar India looks healthy on that front. And yes, like all of you I used to love BSM in Bijoy Era. They were a happy bunch of true blue fanatics. Will miss them. Pablo has a near impossible mission in his hand. I wish him the best.
Old 5th May 2013, 10:27   #30
BHPian

A small excerpt from one of their latest shootouts:
Quote:
Water, besides being a definite composition caused by the merger of hydrogen and oxygen, is a fascinating compound. Despite being supposedly colourless, it has the properties of any other substance. It has volume and texture and has the ability to create, obviously, wetness. It even has the ability to dissolve most substances that come in contact with it, and it has an understandable potential to ruin art on canvas. Most importantly, it has taste. Which explains why there are so many bottled-water brands on every supermarket shelf. One claims to have roots up in the Himalayas, another, in a Swiss fountain. One even claims to be a winner of something called the Bottled Water Award. What could have been the process of evaluation? A ‘panel of experts’ drinking lots of water and then beaming at each other in wonder and amazement? I hope not. So what do you do when posed with the ‘Bisleri or Aquafina?’ question? And in the same way, what is so different between (and about) the Bajaj Discover 100T and the Honda Dream Yuga?
One more from a review:
Quote:
It's easy to look upon with scorn the multitudes of overloaded tractors and motorcycles, their tail-lights obscured by large clumps of wares bundled and (barely) secured on the vehicle. Sure, I'm dead against using a machine outside what it has been designed to do. In that light, motorcycles were meant to ferry two or maybe one, at a time. But a bike that's a mini load carrier? Er, sure, half of India wouldn't bat an eyelid when faced with the prospect of transporting their cows, worldly belongings and their mother-in-law, all of them together, on the family bike. But I am dead against it,
With such soul and passion in your work, print media or online, you will definitely have me reading them.

All The Best BSM!

Last edited by five46 : 5th May 2013 at 10:30. Reason: Copy Paste brought [Font], [Size], et all. Corrected it.
five46 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks