Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should Ford discontinue the Fiesta sedan & launch the Fiesta hatchback?
Yes 136 67.00%
No 67 33.00%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 08:16   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Should Ford discontinue the Fiesta sedan & launch the Fiesta hatchback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Forget Focus ST, they should atleast think of getting the regular Focus hatchback. It will be nice to see some manufacturer give a go at this segment of large hatchbacks.
I doubt if that would happen. At best we may see Figo going out and some one replacing that slot. But going by how Figo sells, it may not happen soon.

The Fiesta sedan as I mentioned earlier, some how does not work its magic. Driving dynamics alone is not enough to push sales. The primary aspect is space. They need to work on that aspect. Perhaps an Ecoboost petrol variant again may be on cards. But fundamentally, they should resolve the space problem. Folks will not just pay 12-13L and expect a 2-seater in the rear. I myself looked at it and enjoyed every instant of its test drive. But it was comprehensively rejected by folks at home!

Quote:
The Focus sedan should be the candidate for the said segment. In India, the Mondeo competitors are currently in the 20-25 lakhs segment (e.g.; VW Passat)
The old thread which talked of Ford product line for 10 years or so, had this in the pipeline. viz. a D segment sedan. Post the Mondeo there has been nothing. Hopefully Ford brings in that too. But going by the way C-segment is eating up the D-Segment, these plans may change dynamically as well.
Old 10th May 2013, 08:27   #62
Senior - BHPian

The Gen-V Fiesta platform which is the current Figo/Classic chassis can take lot more power than what the 1.0 EcoBoost can deliver. The Gen-V Fiesta ST had the 2.0L powertrain from the Mondeo pumping 150bhp. Thats quite a lot of power for a mini-hatch.

Ford can make the 1.0L EcoBoost sit in the Figo if they want to, but I would want the 1.6L Duratec in the Figo with the S badge. There is no engineering cost involved to do this as the Classic Fiesta and Figo are from the same platform. That will be a mighty beast than the 1.6S in the lighter Figo

Should Ford discontinue the Fiesta sedan & launch the Fiesta hatchback?-fordfiestast_2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Buddy,developing a car is not about making an engine and a body shell and bolting the two together.The chassis,suspension etc have to be engineered to comply with each other.People were suggesting to put Ecoboost engine in the Figo to make it a great driver's car.Why not put a Veyron engine in the M800 to make it go 400km/h
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 09:20   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Ford can make the 1.0L EcoBoost sit in the Figo if they want to, but I would want the 1.6L Duratec in the Figo with the S badge. There is no engineering cost involved to do this as the Classic Fiesta and Figo are from the same platform. That will be a mighty beast than the 1.6S in the lighter Figo
I remember watching one interview with someone high up in Ford Management (during the launch of New Fiesta). The journo asked him about the possibility of 1.6S Fiesta, and he said they are not thinking about it because the nos. they sold in the previous avatar does not justify its presence. That’s the sad truth about performance oriented fun cars in our market.

And the Figo could have the capability to handle a bigger/better engine, but along with higher power they will have to add reinforcements (say for better safety) to make it a complete package.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:33   #64
Senior - BHPian

What kind of reinforcements?

It is not easy to get rid of any safety reinforcements under the skin just because its going to use a powertrain that is slower compared to its sedan version from the same platform. The safety quotient between the Figo & Classic Fiesta is absolutley same. If there can be a Fiesta 1.6S, a Figo 1.6S can easily exist.

I badly want to build one myself too if Ford doesnt care, a Figo 1.6S

Quote:
And the Figo could have the capability to handle a bigger/better engine, but along with higher power they will have to add reinforcements (say for better safety) to make it a complete package.
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 15:33   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I remember watching one interview with someone high up in Ford Management (during the launch of New Fiesta). The journo asked him about the possibility of 1.6S Fiesta, and he said they are not thinking about it because the nos. they sold in the previous avatar does not justify its presence. That’s the sad truth about performance oriented fun cars in our market.
By the same logic I wonder what nos the Gen-VI Fiesta is making in India that they are still having it in their website (Forget about the demo cars at the dealer)

I BET that a Figo 1.6S would have found more takers than the Fiesta 1.5L Petrol Automatic.

Coming to the question in the thread title. Should they? Perhaps yes. Will they? Hell No!
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 16:40   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
By the same logic I wonder what nos the Gen-VI Fiesta is making in India that they are still having it in their website (Forget about the demo cars at the dealer)

I BET that a Figo 1.6S would have found more takers than the Fiesta 1.5L Petrol Automatic.
Probably, but they wouldn't have predicted this at the launch right?

Fiesta automatic is actually one of the better choice in the segment, considering the tech in offer, safety, driving dynamics etc. I hope they will try to revive it with a facelift (after the Ecosport launch).
Old 22nd May 2013, 22:32   #67
BHPian

Another nice interesting review

Old 13th December 2013, 07:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

The Ford Fiesta ST is Top Gear Car of the Year 2013. And that's some achievement for the hot hatch! The ST has a 1.6L EcoBoost four-cylinder mated to a 6 speed MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.topgear.com/uk
Car of the Year + Hot Hatch of the Year: Ford Fiesta ST

We say: "It's a car that invigorates, excites and rekindles some of the love you thought you'd lost for the simple stuff. A car that puts a smile on your face each and every day. It's the most enjoyable car of 2013."
Ford India, would you please?
Old 13th December 2013, 14:59   #69
BHPian

Fiesta hatch back will fail definitely. There will be no takers. Even to begin with, it will not exceed the volumes of Punto.
Old 12th July 2015, 05:14   #70
BHPian

Why doesn't Ford think about the Fiesta hatch? With the premium hatch market maturing in India, i'm sure that this has a lot of potential! Even if they plonk the reworked motors of the Aspire into this, would be a great sell.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Old 13th July 2015, 13:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

I am sure if they introduce the hatch version with back plastic cladding and some snazzy styling, customers will lap it up in the name of "Crossover" vehicle!
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 16:38   #72
BHPian

IMO, Fiesta hatchback is a more fierce rival for i20Elite than Honda Jazz. The styling and features are neck-to-neck, with Fiesta obviously a better car in driving and handling department. It was a big opportunity that went down the drains for Ford.
Old 13th July 2015, 17:03   #73
Senior - BHPian

I used the Fiesta Hatchback diesel in a recent trip to Wales. Very comfortable car and great to drive. I realised it was a diesel only when I went to the fuel pump and opened the lid ! The rental company had given me the base variant but it was quite well specced with a great music system and bluetooth navigation.

This car is very popular in the UK and every day I used to spot atleast 20-25 cars while driving and most of them were in the RED colour. With the Aston Martin grille, it has a premium look as well
Old 13th July 2015, 17:22   #74
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Has the previous generation Fiesta i.e. (Fiesta) Classic been discontinued, now that the new Figo Aspire is about to be launched?

May's sales chart hinted that it might have been discontinued.

However, there is an opportunity for Ford to sell the Classic for a year or so more as a "taxi special", much like the Dzire Tour.

There are quite a few (Fiesta) Classic 1.4 TDCis and Figo 1.4 TDCis running around with yellow plates in and around Chennai, Coimbatore etc.
Old 13th July 2015, 18:26   #75
BHPian

I am not aware of the Ford's finances will allow to continue with Fiesta Classic. However, if Ford can continue selling it for year or two at mouth-watering prices, then it can be a bigger sales hit. Ford get the Fiesta hatchback as early as possible. Don't get bogged down with the current Fiesta's sales. Bringing the hatch will definitely be a big and bold step, market-wise and of course finances wise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks