Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should Ford discontinue the Fiesta sedan & launch the Fiesta hatchback?
Yes 136 67.00%
No 67 33.00%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2013, 13:33   #1
BHPian

Should Ford discontinue the Fiesta sedan & launch the Fiesta hatchback?

Over the past one year we have seen that Ford has struggled to sell Fiesta sedan despite being loaded with exciting features and available at reduced price. In fact the latest March numbers reveal that Figo and Classic are the only 2 models which are generating some volumes for Ford while both Fiesta and Endeavor are struggling as compared to their competitors.

A quick look at C2 segment sale in March shows Fiesta is the least sold with 98 while Verna leads the pack with 4589 followed by City with 3432 units. In fact in the last 3 months, Fiesta has struggled to cross 3 figure mark.

Name:  Ford Fiesta Sales.png
Views: 13391
Size:  18.4 KB

So given the poor sales, is this the right time for Ford to discontinue Fiesta sedan and rather focus on Fiesta hatchback?

Last year, Ford revealed Aston Martin style Fiesta lineup. Given the fact that hatchback and compact SUVs are the most popular segment in our country, it possibly makes more sense for Ford to launch premium hatchback and post its success launch the sedan. We recently saw Honda adopt a similar strategy where they launched Brio and post its success they now launched the Amaze.

Also now that Jazz has been phased out, currently i20 is the only true premium hatchback and it sells on an average 7500 units per month. Given lack of competition in this space it again makes more sense for Ford to launch its Aston Martin style Fiesta hatchback and discontinue Fiesta sedan.

With perfect styling, Ecoboost engine and right pricing, Ford will surely have another winner on its hand.

Should Ford discontinue the Fiesta sedan & launch the Fiesta hatchback?-fiesta-1.jpg
Should Ford discontinue the Fiesta sedan & launch the Fiesta hatchback?-fiesta-2.jpg
Should Ford discontinue the Fiesta sedan & launch the Fiesta hatchback?-fiesta-3.jpg
damager21 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 13:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Should Ford discontinue the Fiesta sedan & launch the Fiesta hatchback?

If you look at the price difference between hatches and sedans based on hatches, then its not more than 10%. Going by that logic the FIESTA hatch would get priced in the stratosphere, I'm sure the guys at FORD would have thought about that and hence did not introduce thee sedan

What we can expect though is the price getting more rationalised after the ECOSPORT is introduced, due to economies of scale
TheARUN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 13:44   #3
BHPian

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Can they launch the fiesta hatch at a price cheaper than the ecosport.?? Both the fiesta hatch and ecosport share the same interiors,space... not much to differentiate.
Can ford launch the fiesta hatch at a price range from 5 to 7 lakhs.? And where will the ecosport fit??

I feel Ford should relaunch the facelifted fiesta sedan with better quality interiors and better back seat space... and do some serious PR to get people interested in the sedan...

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2013 at 11:15.
Old 21st April 2013, 14:38   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
If you look at the price difference between hatches and sedans based on hatches, then its not more than 10%. Going by that logic the FIESTA hatch would get priced in the stratosphere, I'm sure the guys at FORD would have thought about that and hence did not introduce thee sedan

What we can expect though is the price getting more rationalised after the ECOSPORT is introduced, due to economies of scale
I don't think this is true except in case of Maruti where the difference between Swift and Dizre is 9.8%. In the following table as can be seen, price difference between hatchback and sedan varies anywhere between 9.8 - 48.82%. (All prices are ex-showroom Mumbai)
Name:  Ford Fiesta pricing.png
Views: 16765
Size:  15.2 KB

In fact, there are at least 4 models where the price difference is above 40%. If you were to consider Ford Classic as a sedan version of Figo then that makes it 5 models where the price difference is above 40%.

So if Ford was to launch Fiesta hatchback at a 40% price difference to its sedan version then it would be INR 52000 more than i20 which would not be bad considering Ford will package much more technology into the car as compared to Hyundai.
damager21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 14:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

They already have EcoSport to cover wide range from premium hatch backs to small sedans. And there is Figo and vintage classic. Where will they fit this Fiesta hatch ?

They should discontinue Fiesta sedan for sure. Start aggressive marketing for new Fiesta and launch it at an aggressive price range undercutting the likes of Sunny/Scala/Verna/Vento/Rapid That would bring in a healthy numbers of 2-3K for this segment.

I am very skeptical about Fiesta hatch succeeding in India
Old 21st April 2013, 15:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Having seen the fiesta hatchback in flesh and driven it , I think there is a huge merit in launching it India and withdrawing the sedan . The hatchback has the goods to re-define the segment unless of course some smart alec in Ford chooses to launch it in India with tuned down engines . IMO Ford should avoid getting into a pricing slugfest and launch it at a premium with the 1.6 ltr 120 hp heart and for God's sake spruce up the interiors with a special worldwide ford first beige for us Indians
Old 21st April 2013, 16:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
They already have EcoSport to cover wide range from premium hatch backs to small sedans. And there is Figo and vintage classic. Where will they fit this Fiesta hatch ?

They should discontinue Fiesta sedan for sure. Start aggressive marketing for new Fiesta and launch it at an aggressive price range undercutting the likes of Sunny/Scala/Verna/Vento/Rapid That would bring in a healthy numbers of 2-3K for this segment.

I am very skeptical about Fiesta hatch succeeding in India
Ford has only 4 models in India and we are already talking about overlap. Maruti Suzuki has 16 models in India. I think there is enough room for Ford to launch Fiesta hatchback and price it below EcoSport and above Figo.

We all know that Ford may launch EcoSport at an introductory price of 6 lacs but after a few months just like what we witnessed with XUV500 and Duster, the price will be increased.

In the following price chart we can see there is enough room for Ford to launch both EcoSport and Fiesta hatchback. Look at how Maruti's models kind of cannibalize each other yet each of them does well.
Attached Images

Old 21st April 2013, 16:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
IMO Ford should avoid getting into a pricing slugfest and launch it at a premium with the 1.6 ltr 120 hp heart and for God's sake spruce up the interiors with a special worldwide ford first beige for us Indians
How many buyers do you think will go for such an option? This might give them good margins, but their numbers will again be hovering around few 100 sales per month !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Ford has only 4 models in India and we are already talking about overlap. Maruti Suzuki has 16 models in India. I think there is enough room for Ford to launch Fiesta hatchback and price it below EcoSport and above Figo.

In the following price chart we can see there is enough room for Ford to launch both EcoSport and Fiesta hatchback. Look at how Maruti's models kind of cannibalize each other yet each of them does well.
Ford is not Maruti(Not even Hyundai) when it comes to indian market. They have long way to go. I felt that After Figo launch, they have done the homework but they surprised with Fiesta pricing. Hopefully EcoSport should bring more numbers. At least Ford looks in a much better position than GM at this moment because Ford is launching EcoSport and new Fiesta models, unlike GM which is launching Sail/Enjoy.

I am happy to see that now for each and every segment we have multiple options to choose from(Barring Ertiga and Duster, but momentarily ) and that should distribute the customers evenly and reduce the long waiting periods too.
Old 21st April 2013, 17:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

damager21,

Thank you for starting this interesting discussion

I in fact was a ready customer for the Fiesta hatch since the time i was looking for a replacement for my Punto, but Ford never launched it. So i can relate to this topic & the need for a Fiesta "hot" hatch

But, at the same time i believe it will be a wise move by Ford continue to sell sedan & launch the hatchback at an 12-15% less price than the Sedan.

We as the members of this forum wouldnt mind the sedan being discontinued but on large scale it will affect the sales as per Indian customer mindset that a big car is one with a "boot".

Last edited by karan561 : 21st April 2013 at 17:28.
Old 21st April 2013, 17:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

This car is quite a stunner and needs to brought in. Looks smashing in neutral colours with clean sculpted lines. The rear seamlessly carries the look. To replace the sedan or not is debatable. Another car that catches my fancy is VW Scirocco, but then that's a two door.
Old 21st April 2013, 17:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Having seen the fiesta hatchback in flesh and driven it , I think there is a huge merit in launching it India and withdrawing the sedan . The hatchback has the goods to re-define the segment unless of course some smart alec in Ford chooses to launch it in India with tuned down engines . IMO Ford should avoid getting into a pricing slugfest and launch it at a premium with the 1.6 ltr 120 hp heart and for God's sake spruce up the interiors with a special worldwide ford first beige for us Indians
I have to disagree.
If Ford really wants to bring in premium hatchback, it should bring in the Ford Focus at 10-12L range with 120+BHP in both petrol & diesel options.
But we know that is not going to happen.

It already has a figo which stretches to 6L. Then we will have Ecosport which will be probably between 6-9L. Having a Fiesta hatch will only result into cross shopping.

They have made a blunder with Fiesta. Given the specs it offers, it is no match to the Verna or the Vento/Rapid. The Engines are lethargic, the fit and finish is befitting to a mid range hatchback and that butt ugly design. All this coupled with a high asking price and Ford badge (Not a H ot a T badge) will always be a failure. Bringing the hatch will not make it a sub 4 m car (4066mm) so there is not benefit in the excise department either.

After the ecosport, the Figo with the 1.5L diesel will probably be the next big thing from Ford.
Old 21st April 2013, 17:17   #12
Team-BHP Support

It may be a good idea for Ford to watch how the Polo TSI is received in the Indian market. In overseas market, Fiesta hatchback 1.0 Ecoboost is a direct competition to the 1.2 TSI Polo.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 18:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

If Ford can price the Fiesta at i20 levels, then it will sell. Look at the success of i20. Who would have thought that a hatch costing 9L OTR could become such a big hit! Most i20s I see on the road here in Bangalore are Asta CRDi.
Old 21st April 2013, 19:04   #14
BHPian

May be, if they can price it competitively to i20.

A better idea would be Re-Launch the sedan. Face-lift it to the new AM theme(already done in global scale), price it sensitively - this can bring in some numbers. Not that I'm against the hatch, in fact, I love it. But we are enthusiasts our "likes" never do well in the market. The newest Fiesta is one of the finest vehicles from Ford which only failed(make that utterly failure) because of ABSURD pricing.
Eminenttismo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 19:07   #15
Team-BHP Support

And the worst part is they have all the elements in their arsenal.

- Killer engine line ups (Petrol/Turbo Charged Petrol/Fuel Efficient Diesel)
- Killer Suspension
- Killer Handling capabilities

But the moot point is they somehow have always brought it a generation old product line to India (barring the new Fiesta). In fact that I also I think came in quite after some time, when the sedan (and hatch) were a smash hit in Europe markets.

Agreed new platforms require updates to manufacturing line, infrastructure etc. But then thats also what would keep one in on the scene.

PS : Nice thread to start. So obvious a question, but rarely a thread on this !
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed