Thanks to so much A-Class Fever, my Desktop looks like this:

Mercedes A-Class Preview : Pictures & Details-screenshot-20130518-154133.jpg
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 13:28   #137
BHPian

Re: Mercedes A-Class Preview : Pictures & Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder918 View Post
Yes, I understand, per ET the duty is to be reduced to 30% from existing 60%, and would apply on imports of luxury cars of minimum engine size 1.5. Also there have been almost 10 rounds of the FTA now since 2007, and seems that this year end should give some results, though SIAM is still fearing that this might be in favor of EU, a good bargain with access to EU services sectors might speed up the process..

It would be interesting as the big players (Merc, VW, Skoda, AUDI, Renault) have set-up the manufacturing plants now, and these cheap imports whenever aplied may play quite games in Indian market..

I might sound futuristic ... but if the price would not make much difference would indians prefer an import then ??
OK - been reading a lot about the FTA here and in media(mostly gibberish).

As a part of the team that is supporting the Commerce ministry in the negotiations, here's my 2 cents which will hopefully put to rest any immediate decision making.

So, after multiple rounds of discussions over the past several years, the FTA is still being negotiated on some final items - cars, wines and spirits and dairy related imports from the EU and some pharma and IT services related exports from India.

Progress is slow, but things are looking brighter - the last round of discussions (early May) did resolve some issues and hopefully in the next 2/3 discussions we should have a deal. Once the deal is final and the agreement signed, we should see significantly lower duties for EU made items (cars and bikes for this forum)

However - and this is the big point to be noted, even if the deal is agreed and signed the agreement will have to be ratified by both Parliaments (and we know how dysfunctional ours can become).

Then, AFTER the deal is ratified by both Parliaments (individually), the implementation time frame for the agreement will be 24-36 months.

So fellow BHPians, please do not put off / postpone your purchase plans on the hopes of an FTA coming in. The earliest we will see reduced duties arising out of the FTA in real terms is unlkely to be before end of 2016, if not later

PM me if you need any more details
car.lover is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 14:29   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I don't own a Skoda but I feel bad when hear unduly lot of bad mouthing about Skoda and Germans on this forum. Most of the times its those who never ever owned any of the Germans or Skoda car in their life.
Ot, but can't resist. Loving the fact that someone who doesn't own a Skoda is judging after sales stories by people on the forum and dismissing them by saying 'most of them never owned a German or a Skoda in their life'. Pot calling the kettle black here?
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 16:23   #139
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
The Yeti is a gemstone. Its a pity that skoda has failed so miserably to market it correctly. Same chassis and frame as a Q5! One of the only regular everyday cars that Jeremy Clarkson has reviewed and did not stop raving about. You must see his review. What's better? You get the European version in india.
I watched that episode of Top Gear in Feb or March 2011 when it was telecast in the UK. I happened to be there at the time and had rented a Subaru Forester which was light-years ahead of the Scorpio that I owned at the time. I think that Yeti episode and review by Clarkson simply decided me subconsciously that that was the car for me. Back in India and some months later (October) that year, the same episode was telecast in India but it did not have the scene where he drives through a burning warehouse while eating an ice cream, to demonstrate the powerful AC in the Yeti. I went and bought the Yeti Elegance in December 2011. The Elegance spec in India was the same as the Experience Spec in the UK. The Elegance SE was the one with AT and Sun roof etc which may well appear sometime in India as an L&K.
Cant say more than the above really, in ref putting my money where my mouth is...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th May 2013 at 16:24.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 19:45   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz India has configured the A Class with a 1.6-liter petrol engine capable of producing 122PS of power and 200Nm of torque, and a 2.2L diesel engine putting out 110PS of power and 250Nm of torque.
The 2.2L diesel engine borrowed from the C Class, and also used on the E Class, is tuned to return a fuel economy of 20kpl in the ARAI certification process.

Mercedes A Class features for Indian market
Attention Assist
Hill Start Assist
Brake Assist System
Bi-Xenon headlamps
A total of seven airbags, ABS and ESP
Acceleration skid control (ASC)
Adaptive Brake Lights
Electronic parking brake
Tyre pressure loss warning system
Start-Stop system
Paddle shifters
14.7cm display with TFT technology
Audio player can read WMA, MP3 and ACC formats.
Songs can be streamed using Bluetooth, AUX-in and USB, through a six-speaker sound system.
Panoramic sunroof

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/05/m...a-may-30-76930
Old 21st May 2013, 01:43   #141
Senior - BHPian

A-Class is so sporty and never miss the stance even when stood along with her big brothers

Mercedes A-Class Preview : Pictures & Details-aclass-amg.jpg

Mercedes A-Class Preview : Pictures & Details-aclass-amg2.jpg

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:38   #142
Senior - BHPian

Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton star in the new Mercedes A45 AMG television commercial

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd May 2013 at 15:18. Reason: embedding video
myavu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 10:24   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar review on Mercedes A class would be telecast on Bloomberg tonight @10:30 pm.

Cheers!
Old 24th May 2013, 12:45   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Autocar review on Mercedes A class would be telecast on Bloomberg tonight @10:30 pm.

Cheers!
Buddy it was on air yesterday, 10:30 pm Thursday when Renuka kriplani reviewed Merc A Class. It will be put up on AutocarIndia website and youtube sometime today.

Bloomberg UTV Autocar show is telecast every Thursday and Sunday at 10:30pm.

Autocar India magazine June Issue has covered Merc A Class in detail.

http://www.autocarindia.com/Magazine/Default.aspx
Old 25th May 2013, 10:22   #145
BHPian

Auto Car India Video review is up.

Old 25th May 2013, 10:51   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post

www.Youtube.com/watch?v=FYzqC1XUukI
The overall package seems average at best
Old 26th May 2013, 03:00   #147
VSD
BHPian

Saw the A-class in person today. What a good looking car it is. B-class doesn't even come close. At first i thought it'd be tiny and cramped but even with all black interiors it seemed spacious. Should be a fun car to drive, though the engine isn't all that powerful but you can be sure about turning heads with this one, specially with that diamond grille.
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 06:25   #148
Senior - BHPian

The one thing missing for me is the 3 pointed star on the hood, never mind the huge one on the grill, there is nothing like the 3 pointed star leading the way when you are at the wheel, thank God they have retained it in the S-Class
Old 26th May 2013, 09:31   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The one thing missing for me is the 3 pointed star on the hood, never mind the huge one on the grill, there is nothing like the 3 pointed star leading the way when you are at the wheel, thank God they have retained it in the S-Class
Mercedes never puts the Three-pointed star on any of its models other than the sedans. All the other cars, hatches, SUVs and sports cars have it on the grill.
Old 26th May 2013, 09:49   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post

www.Youtube.com/watch?v=FYzqC1XUukI
Thanks for the link mroptimist. I always look forward to Auto Car video reviews. They are like the Indian version of carbuyer.
Although, I wish the lady would take off her shades when she does these reviews. For some reason it makes the presentation feel a bit unprofessional to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I have always maintained that such an ornament would look completely out of place on anything that wasn't one of their saloons like an SUV or now this hatchback.
You don't need to thank god they've kept it on their S-Class or E, I'm almost certain that it's working as intended : ).

Last edited by Maky : 26th May 2013 at 09:52.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed