Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2013, 10:47   #46
BHPian

Re: M&M may modify some SUVs to duck Excise Duties *UPDATE* Pg.3 XUV to lose some GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
It appears GC definition is distance between road and lowest metal part in the body of the car. Please correct me if iam wrong.

Earlier XUV had a plastic engine guard ( stone guard). Hence GC was calculated between lowest metal part and ground , and it was 200mm

I think now they might have changed this guard to a metal one, automatically GC gets lowered.

If it is that easy to change GC without affecting the driving dynamics, why not Scorpio and Xylo. These have 180mm GC as against 200mm of XUV. It would have been lot easier to reduce 180 mm to 160 mm rather than 200mm to 160mm.
I think this sound logic to me.

In my opinion, the reduction is just technical. XUV owners can confirm whether they have a plastic stone guard or a metal one or no stone guard.

If there exist a plastic guard, it means M&M played with the rulebook and made a minor modification (metal in place of plastic is better) and reduced price without compromizing anything.
Old 8th July 2013, 10:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: M&M may modify some SUVs to duck Excise Duties *UPDATE* Pg.3 XUV to lose some GC

Merely reducing the ground clearance will work for M&M, I doubt it. The XUV sold coz of its SUV nature and higher ground clearance. Ecosport effect should be that bad for Mahindra. The article aslo says that M&M are going to change the brakes, electronics and clutch systems which IMO will entail additional cost but M&M says this is going to reduce the cost and will make the XUV cheaper.

Somehow I think something is not right here.

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th July 2013 at 11:00. Reason: Link removed, is already shared several times on previous pages. Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 11:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Can the change be reversed post buying the car? What are the actual changes M&M has done to compromise on the ground clearance?
Old 8th July 2013, 12:07   #49
BHPian

Regarding the lower ground-clearance, will this be only for the new, cheaper variant (XUV 3OO) or the modifications to the existing one (XUV 5OO)?
Old 8th July 2013, 12:25   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post
Regarding the lower ground-clearance, will this be only for the new, cheaper variant (XUV 3OO) or the modifications to the existing one (XUV 5OO)?
Please put in some effort to go through the thread, the information exists in the thread on the previous page. Thanks
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 13:29   #51

Re: M&M may modify some SUVs to duck duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
As a side effect of lowering the ground clearance, Mahindra SUVs' handling & cornering abilities should improve a couple of notches. Good for consumers!
I second that thought

Moreover for a first time SUV buyer like me who is going to be driving around mostly in the city (where a 160mm GC should suffice IMHO) and almost never would offroad, I think this is simply good news.... With the lower GC (like smartcat said) it would improve the cornering abilities and make the highway drives even more comfortable
Old 8th July 2013, 13:58   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeet.khokher View Post
I second that thought

Moreover for a first time SUV buyer like me who is going to be driving around mostly in the city (where a 160mm GC should suffice IMHO) and almost never would offroad, I think this is simply good news.... With the lower GC (like smartcat said) it would improve the cornering abilities and make the highway drives even more comfortable
From what i read from past few pages, this is more of a workaround to add some accessory like engine guard which will change the lowest point of the car thereby reducing the GC. Don't expect the XUV500 to transform into a low slung car . that is not good for the car as well.
Old 8th July 2013, 14:00   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeet.khokher View Post
I second that thought

The modification is to add a stone guard to reduce the height of the lowest point - does it affect the cornering abilities? Compared to the overall weight of the body the stone guard's weight should be a very miniscule percentage which should cause no perceptible change in the vehicle's handling abilities.
Old 8th July 2013, 14:45   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
The modification is to add a stone guard to reduce the height of the lowest point - does it affect the cornering abilities? Compared to the overall weight of the body the stone guard's weight should be a very miniscule percentage which should cause no perceptible change in the vehicle's handling abilities.
I was under the impression that the ground clearance was being reduced first and then a stone guard being added so that those random stones and debris lying on the road do not hit the under body and damage any vital parts since the car will now be closer to the road.

However, it looks like you are saying that the GC will be reduced simply by adding a stoneguard. If this is correct then I must say it is an even better news for me. I will now be able to buy the same car for some 35k less and the only difference being that I would have to take the stoneguard off as soon as I get my car (unless of course if Mahindra decides to add the stoneguard as an integrated part of the monocoque frame )
Old 8th July 2013, 16:35   #55
BHPian

The first thing I thought after reading that is Wow! Nice move Mahindra
At least for a few days/months the XUV's price will revert back to old excise rules. But I have a hunch that soon the Govt will update the rules to say "any" instead of "all" - If any of those SUV'ish conditions are met, then the car will go to higher excise slab. That'd be a bummer for all of us then.. Especially Ecosport where they tried so hard to keep it under 4m length.
nec2152 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 16:56   #56
BANNED

Firstly our govt should provide roads which do not flood and develop crater at the drop of a well first drops of rain. The roads in rural and semi rural areas are no less daunting than a proper off road track. People who have driven on state highways in most of the state will second me. It is for these reasons that, we Indians would prefer to go on long drives in SUVs. If we are guaranteed a certain quality of road like in US or Europe a sedan is the perfect car for long drives.
What M&M has done is brilliant. Ground clearance is the distance between road and lowermost part of the car. So if my understanding is correct by adding the sump guard that lowermost part of the car is now 160 mm above the road. Way to go Mahindra. If our govt (bunch of thieves if u ask me) plays dirty to survive we need to play their game..
Old 8th July 2013, 19:12   #57
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Has M&M released any pics regarding this modification? Reduction in prices will certainly get the attention of the public!

Btw, the Cheetah now is crouching low due to Govt. policies.
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 19:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

The only good thing i see here is that it will now have better electronics, brakes and clutch. Thats a good thing as it was badly needed.

As for the GC, i am sure MM would just remove that stupid plastic stone guard and put in a REAL stone guard resulting in less GC.
Old 8th July 2013, 19:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

ACI reports as if M&M has already done this:

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/349...h-suv-tax.aspx

Says upto 33000 reduction in cost. with W6 costing over 15Lakhs in Bangalore, 33000 seems like a tiny drop. Their sales are sliding and they need much more than 33000.

Having said that, if the car is coming with improved feature set, it will be a good boost
Old 8th July 2013, 20:29   #60
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Says upto 33000 reduction in cost. with W6 costing over 15Lakhs in Bangalore, 33000 seems like a tiny drop. Their sales are sliding and they need much more than 33000.
The sales are indeed dismal. Just went through the June-2013 sales-numbers thread. The sales have dropped to some 1400 odd numbers.

33,000 is just about 2% of the ~16 lakh OTR price. Even I doubt the sales would improve with such a marginal drop in price.

Quote:
Having said that, if the car is coming with improved feature set, it will be a good boost
The W8 already comes with lot of features. Except possibly a sun-roof can't think of anything else that can be added from features perspective.

Yes, a automatic transmission could be provided. But that would be a different 'variant' and not a additional 'feature' so to say.

Last edited by SDP : 8th July 2013 at 20:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks