Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2013, 22:35   #136

Re: April 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I was thinking of pt 1 myself, just wanted to know if there is any other reason. Now this is a serious issue for TML. I am seriously think whether I am being smart to even consider buying the Storme!
have to agree about above comparison (i.e. point #1) due to my own experience. I owned an old indica and got it exchanged with Vista D90. I sold old indica due to soaring service cost. I last paid rs 40k after 5.5 years run and around 42K kms.

Vista was stock defective right out of production which included hand break failure on day 2 and bluetooth not working in new car. They got repaired, but then who expects defective vehicle (more issues mentioned on Official Vista D90 review thread). Not all problems have been rectified till date and surprisingly Tata Motor folks are not helpful despite raising issues via all possible official route.

While on one such defect fix exercise, I showed my displeasure regarding my experience so far to the TASS guys. Few of them opened up and quite sad at the state of affairs. Some folks had worked with Maruti service center and they told that almost all Maruti vehicles do not even see workshop for first two services, such is the general quality of vehicles, unlike the TATA ones. They were sad that despite working doubly hard at TASS, most of the time they get bashing rather than appreciation, all because of quality of TATA vehicles right out of factory.

Some one from TASS even brought out that the TATA engineers had come to their service station (as part of training on new model - storme) and boasted about Safari Storme's quality as being Rover quality. However the first 15 vehicles that they received, 8 of them had engine check issues that had to be rectified at the service center.

All of the above has been shared by bunch of TASS guys and not any outsider.

Though my personal experience with Vista is that the engineering design team is doing a lot of good things to get the vehicle going, only to be thoroughly let down by their quality department. How much TASS can do on a defective vehicle, thus leading to their bad reputation (while they may be as competent / incompetent as any other companies Service Center)

Last edited by bblost : 14th May 2013 at 12:06. Reason: Same content was duplicated twice.
Mahendraps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 17:38   #137
Senior - BHPian

Is the situation so bad for XUV? Just in 2 days I received 3 calls from Kundan Motors, Bhosari, Pune for follow up on my enquiry about XUV. I had already informed them that I have budget constraints & currently I cannot afford it. To this the sales exec gave me the option that I can avail 100% finance. I said I am already paying my housing EMIs & cannot afford another EMI. Even after this I received 2 calls & I have to reiterate that I am not interested currently. I am getting a feeling that the inventories of XUVs might have piled up at dealers' stockyards & they are now desperately trying to get rid of them. What a turn of fortunes. Not very long ago people were queuing up at the M&M dealers, there were lotteries & now tide has turned against M&M.

My question to the experts & XUV owners, is this due to the overall slump in the auto market or this can be attributed to the niggling issues in XUV?
Old 14th May 2013, 18:49   #138
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Is the situation so bad for XUV? ...
My question to the experts & XUV owners, is this due to the overall slump in the auto market or this can be attributed to the niggling issues in XUV?
Not an expert, but can share my views as a owner.

Here's a link to my opinion:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3115803
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 19:17   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

Thanks for pointing out to that post of yours. I agree with you on all the points. Let's hope the XUV gets out of that "Trough of Disillusionment" pretty soon.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 21:11   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

You make valid points. But I don't feel XUV is facing impediments due to bad word of mouth etc.
How many vehicles costing above INR 11lacs, sell more than 1k, let alone 2k. I feel that is what the natural settling point for XUV would be or maybe a little less. Even so they are mighty good figures.
rrsteer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 21:27   #141
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
You make valid points. But I don't feel XUV is facing impediments due to bad word of mouth etc.
How many vehicles costing above INR 11lacs, sell more than 1k, let alone 2k. I feel that is what the natural settling point for XUV would be or maybe a little less. Even so they are mighty good figures.
Although XUV and Duster can not be compared directly, I do compare the sales numbers of those 2 looking at the overall SUV numbers. The XUV numbers are definitely fantastic for a vehicle at that price point. My point is XUV5OO seems to be losing market share (%age) to other SUVs like Duster.
The demand for SUVs is still strong. Just that XUV5OO is no longer able to capitalize that the way Duster is able to currently.
Old 14th May 2013, 21:29   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
+1.

Not even 11+ but OTR its much higher (esp. Bangalore). Its some where between the C and D segment. At that range, I dont think the numbers can be so high. Innova sells because of cab reasons as well. But a personally owned vehicle selling such high numbers is difficult. If it sells nothing like it!

As regards to Duster, its pricing (most of the trims) fall almost in the C-segment range. And hence numbers can be comparable to them.

Cross shopping between the two ? Possible thanks to similar lifestyle and utility requirements and that can also contribute to a reason.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 22:37   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Some "On your face" desings will get bored quickly. Some desings like the old Safari will last for ever. Now there are so many XUVs on road, it lost its novelty. People realized, the more electronics, more problems. All these, in addition to the Duster effect caused the decline. But the numbers are still very good.
Old 15th May 2013, 11:33   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That probably is the case. From what I know, the MT variant of the Laura TSI stopped production in 2012, and MY13 model was the one with the DSG gearbox. The added kit on the AT variants was indeed a great move to clear stock without hefty discounts.

Yes, I don’t expect the 1.8 TSI to come in the new Octavia (atleast at the launch). The sole petrol variant should be the 1.4TSI 122ps or 140ps. Even in the UK market, the 1.8 TSI has not made an appearance in the new Octavia.

Probably until the arrival of the next vRS, you will be part of an exclusive club
And one proud owner I am. Every month I come to this thread to see how many Laura Tsi are being sold. Such a brilliant engine, even with petrol prices going down, finding no takers is disappointing. Till the next vRS arrives, I will still have that big smile plastered
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 12:06   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Some "On your face" desings will get bored quickly. Some desings like the old Safari will last for ever. Now there are so many XUVs on road, it lost its novelty. People realized, the more electronics, more problems. All these, in addition to the Duster effect caused the decline. But the numbers are still very good.
I guess post the union budget, there was added tax on XUV500 where as Duster escaped due to smaller 1.5ltr engine(Correct me if i am wrong!!)

XUV500 pricing is pretty steep for city like Bangalore(W6 sells at 15 odd lakhs)

So people looking for vehicles in that price range either look at SUV Duster(RxL option pack costs 13ish) or MUV Innova for sheer utility it provides.

Sedans in this price range have not posted big numbers anyway. So XUV numbers are pretty healthy for 2 year old design
Old 15th May 2013, 12:45   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_25 View Post
Only in Kerala (Trivandrum & Cochin mainly) out in the roads that I see Fiat Punto & Linea out numbering Hyundai i20 and Verna's....
No logical situation is backing on the same, probably we keralites like a bit of uniqueness to the extend that everyone purchases unique cars....
Hi,
I think youre right about this. I dont remember seeing so many Fiats in Bangalore. Thats why i'm often surprised that the actual sale of Fiat cars nationwide is so low. Similarly the older Logan, in non Taxi private car segment. It would be interesting if someone did a state wise analysis of car sales.

Durga Prasan
Old 15th May 2013, 15:43   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

I guess post the union budget, there was added tax on XUV500 where as Duster escaped due to smaller 1.5ltr engine(Correct me if i am wrong!!)

XUV500 pricing is pretty steep for city like Bangalore(W6 sells at 15 odd lakhs)

So people looking for vehicles in that price range either look at SUV Duster(RxL option pack costs 13ish) or MUV Innova for sheer utility it provides.

Sedans in this price range have not posted big numbers anyway. So XUV numbers are pretty healthy for 2 year old design
Valid point there.

While the Safari might have neutral looks and hence looks handsome even today, thats totally besides the point as far as XUV sales go - and while we are at sales numbers I am curious to hear from all the TML fans who predicted a big dent in XUV sales after the Storme launch. The Storme + Safari sell far less than a fifth of the ageing Scorpio !
Old 19th May 2013, 12:08   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Firstly, both of them do not compete directly with each other. (C1 & C2 remember)

Not to forget that the Verna has been around for a much longer time and still manages to sell just 43 cars less than what is a very recent product offering at a cheaper price point. So I do not think it would be appropriate to talk about Honda's success story based only on this.
Pardon me for my perhaps naive question - But on the same token should not Indica & Vista / Indigo & Manza be on the B1/B@ & C1/C2 bifurcation. Vista & Manza is bigger than many B2 / C2 cars available today.
Old 19th May 2013, 16:12   #149
MHG
BHPian

I was at a traffic junction when I came across a silver Evalia. While I agree it looks extremely boxy in pictures, I was pleasantly surprised at how elegant and good looking it is in person. It certainly is much better looking than the Innova. I'm sure it'll look uber cool in black at night. It has everything going for it - a brilliant engine that has a high fuel efficiency and low turbo lag, ability to seat 6 or 7 (in comfort), equipment at par with C-segment cars not made by Hyundai and Japanese reliability. If I was in the market for a vehicle like the Innova, I see no reason why I wouldn't upgrade (yes, I used the word "upgrade") to an Evalia.

The story of how such a vehicle flopped spectacularly can make an excellent case study IMO.
Old 20th May 2013, 12:06   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
I was at a traffic junction when I came across a silver Evalia. While I agree it looks extremely boxy in pictures, I was pleasantly surprised at how elegant and good looking it is in person. It certainly is much better looking than the Innova. I'm sure it'll look uber cool in black at night. It has everything going for it - a brilliant engine that has a high fuel efficiency and low turbo lag, ability to seat 6 or 7 (in comfort), equipment at par with C-segment cars not made by Hyundai and Japanese reliability. If I was in the market for a vehicle like the Innova, I see no reason why I wouldn't upgrade (yes, I used the word "upgrade") to an Evalia.

The story of how such a vehicle flopped spectacularly can make an excellent case study IMO.
I wish not to offend you, but, have you ever been inside the Evalia.

I have been, & can say that the interior design would be sufficient for you to withdraw the word "upgrade" when you speak of Evalia. I interior though well put, have certain flaws like no lid on glovebox, butterfly windows on second row seats & fixed glass windows for third row & the tires are smaller, & that too light truck type. If the company could fix these shortcomings I would have accepted your comment, & tried convincing my parents for the permission for buy this vehicle (I have the dough). I am sure these changes could easily mean another success for Renault-Nissan JV in India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed